The other side of the pricing issue

esp13

Recently, there have been several threads with people expressing anything from mild annoyance to rage at the fact that the price for their cabin dropped significantly after final payment and NCL was unwilling to compensate them for that drop. Well, I figured it was only fair to talk about the other side of that issue.

I booked my December 13, 2014 cruise on the Getaway in May of 2013. Along with the cabin price, I received $450 in OBC based on booking more than 9 months in advance and because both of us are Latitudes members ($75 each).

I just checked the NCL website and that room has increased in price by $350 per person and there is only $150 in OBC offered. So, the price has effectively gone up by $1000. Now, it is still well before final payment so it is likely (maybe even highly likely) the price will drop if the remaining rooms are not sold. However, there is no question that if I had waited until now to book, I would not be going on the cruise (or at least in that cabin) because it is outside my budget.

This is why I really can't complain when the price drops. For me personally, I can't expect NCL to modify the contract that I agreed to when the price drops unless I also give them the same right to charge me extra when the price increases. And for those who will say they just want a little compensation in the form of increased OBC, the same rationale applies. I don't want NCL to take a way a little of my OBC when the rate goes up or the OBC offer drops.

I understand that price drops occur far more frequently than price increases, but they do happen. And while I wouldn't criticize NCL if they did offer compensation as a form of customer service, I simply can't criticize them for not doing it either. I just feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I expected them to compensate me when I am certainly not willing to compensate them in return.

Anyway, I'm not expecting to change anybody's minds and I'm sure many will disagree. But, I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

Recently, there have been several threads with people expressing anything from mild annoyance to rage at the fact that the price for their cabin dropped significantly after final payment and NCL was unwilling to compensate them for that drop. Well, I figured it was only fair to talk about the other side of that issue.

I booked my December 13, 2014 cruise on the Getaway in May of 2013. Along with the cabin price, I received $450 in OBC based on booking more than 9 months in advance and because both of us are Latitudes members ($75 each).

I just checked the NCL website and that room has increased in price by $350 per person and there is only $150 in OBC offered. So, the price has effectively gone up by $1000. Now, it is still well before final payment so it is likely (maybe even highly likely) the price will drop if the remaining rooms are not sold. However, there is no question that if I had waited until now to book, I would not be going on the cruise (or at least in that cabin) because it is outside my budget.

This is why I really can't complain when the price drops. For me personally, I can't expect NCL to modify the contract that I agreed to when the price drops unless I also give them the same right to charge me extra when the price increases. And for those who will say they just want a little compensation in the form of increased OBC, the same rationale applies. I don't want NCL to take a way a little of my OBC when the rate goes up or the OBC offer drops.

I understand that price drops occur far more frequently than price increases, but they do happen. And while I wouldn't criticize NCL if they did offer compensation as a form of customer service, I simply can't criticize them for not doing it either. I just feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I expected them to compensate me when I am certainly not willing to compensate them in return.

Anyway, I'm not expecting to change anybody's minds and I'm sure many will disagree. But, I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

Totally agree. you have to be happy with the price you book at and if by chance the price changes before final payment, well, you lucked out. My first cruise on the Epic we booked fairly early but it was alot because it was a new ship. i watched prices and they continued to go up right until sail date. So I booked last August for my upcoming Feb. cruise on epic at a fabulous rate through an online TA and i still watched just in case. Prices on the NCL website eventually came down to the same rate that i paid and my sister booked in January and paid 50 dollars more pp than I did and that is only because I got a latitudes discount.

Its a roll of the dice, be happy with what you book when you book it and people need to stop asking for things they arents entitled to. its just ends up costing everybody in the end.

Our April cruise on the Spirit has done nothing but go up since we booked in June of 2013. Final payment is about 2 weeks away and the price continues to creep up. In addition the ocean view rooms are completely sold out.

Edited by Bocadude85

Sorry - but LOGIC and COMMON SENSE are not allowed here!

Just joking.

We really need to have a thread that clearly outlines all the reasons why a cruiseline will not and probably should not honor price changes. People get so wrapped up emotionally and do not understand it.

Nice of you to write that out! I am not a frequent cruiser, but we go on 3 to 4 pricy overseas land vacations per year. We (1) have never been "compensated" for specials or drops after booking, plus (2) don't even think of checking for such a thing! If the deal is good enough (and the schedule works) we book; otherwise no.

I have been perplexed at those threads since coming back to read CC daily since last October.

Everything time I read the "if the price went up would you call NCL and offer to pay the difference" I want to stick a fork in my eye. I want the best deal so when I book what I think is a good deal is only a good deal until the price starts dropping (yes, I understand it can go up, in which case my deal got even better). I've learned to play the game. It's never do or die that I cruise, so I either wait as long as possible to book, or book a lower category I could live with knowing I can probably upgrade as prices start falling (which they usually do since we travel on shoulder seasons, again, to get the best deal). I learned that the hard way a few years ago when I paid $300 to upgrade to a balcony and then literally 2 days later the prices fell and that was $300 for nothing since I could've upgraded for free. And no, it's not like buying a car and having the prices drop after. The car has been driven, the cruise hasn't been cruised. I'm just saying. It's one of those agree to disagree things.

Edited by AWENINAZ

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, however, I will also agree with the OP. Our 1st cruise, we booked a balcony and then decided to move up to a mini-suite so we paid the difference. It was only $130, IIRC, and it was so worth it to us. After we made the move.......the price of the mini-suites went UP by $200 so DH was really happy.

But that will not happen every time and I would not expect it to, and so I will be happy with the choices that we make and while I always keep an eye on the prices it would not matter if we stayed exactly where we are booked right now.

Life is too short, enjoy your cruises,

I am with you! We booked our dec cruise this past summer and we now have a balcony cruise priced for 9 nights for 12! I am more than excited since the 12 day cruise is a big price jump!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked our September 2014 Panama Canal Cruise in December 2012, since then our cabin has gone up $2200 per person, am I happy? Heck yeah! Am I going to call and offer to pay the difference - No! Bottomline I was happy with the price that we booked at (EBF fare) and unless there was a big difference in the new price I would not bother.

My Aug 2014 cruise has had a price change 3 times since I booked. First it went up $900, then another increase of $300 on top of the previous $900. Last night I looked and it went down $200. I'm still ahead by $1000.

Another cruise I booked, the next day after I booked it went up $600. You never know when prices will change.

Totally agree with the OP. The SF suite I booked for the Dawn last January has increased from $1999 pp up to $2349 pp.

I booked my trip for the Pearl last March with a free upgrade from an O1 to a BD. The O1 at the time was $1039 pp. It is now selling for $1259.

So far my cruises have jumped by $700 and $440 total. I for one am glad to have booked early :D

Totally agree with the OP. The SF suite I booked for the Dawn last January has increased from $1999 pp up to $2349 pp.

I booked my trip for the Pearl last March with a free upgrade from an O1 to a BD. The O1 at the time was $1039 pp. It is now selling for $1259.

So far my cruises have jumped by $700 and $440 total. I for one am glad to have booked early :D

Totally agree, I have had my cruises go up in price after booking more times than they went down.

Over twenty cruises and the price has only gone down after final payment once. I will admit, though, that when it went down $400 per person two days after final it hurt.:p Our TA was able to get us a $400 (not $800) OBC, though. So we were happy.

Everything time I read the "if the price went up would you call NCL and offer to pay the difference" I want to stick a fork in my eye. I want the best deal so when I book what I think is a good deal is only a good deal until the price starts dropping (yes, I understand it can go up, in which case my deal got even better). I've learned to play the game. It's never do or die that I cruise, so I either wait as long as possible to book, or book a lower category I could live with knowing I can probably upgrade as prices start falling (which they usually do since we travel on shoulder seasons, again, to get the best deal). I learned that the hard way a few years ago when I paid $300 to upgrade to a balcony and then literally 2 days later the prices fell and that was $300 for nothing since I could've upgraded for free. And no, it's not like buying a car and having the prices drop after. The car has been driven, the cruise hasn't been cruised. I'm just saying. It's one of those agree to disagree things.

I can certainly agree to disagree. And, as I've said elsewhere, I am happy for (and a little envious of) those who have the ability to wait until the last minute and make sure they get the best deal. If I could do that, I certainly would as -- to be clear -- I don't like paying higher prices than I have to. And, based on what I've seen, I would totally encourage people with that kind of flexibility to never book early.

But not everyone has that ability. I certainly can't wait to the last minute or I would probably never get to cruise. Other people book early for different reasons (OBC incentives, wanting to make sure they get the cabin they want, etc.). I just figure that if you need to book early for whatever reason, then that's the choice you've made because ensuring that reservation is more important than getting the absolute best deal possible. JMO, though.

Sorry - but LOGIC and COMMON SENSE are not allowed here!

Just joking.

We really need to have a thread that clearly outlines all the reasons why a cruiseline will not and probably should not honor price changes. People get so wrapped up emotionally and do not understand it.

Perfectly said! Thank you!

It's really about the Breakaway. There prices drop real bad after final payment. NCL can not fill the ship!! RCCL has there new ship starting Nov 2014. There prices are better then the Breakaway. And it's hard to get a cabin on that ship.

NCL is going to be in real trouble next winter.

We knew NCL had the right to lower there prices. When we did our deposit. But they should understand they are not the only player in the New York market.

I don't see how you could say the prices of the rc are better than the breakaway?

Nov 23 breakaway 7 nights nassau 679

Quantum 8 nights nassau 1729.

Both inside cabins same date....that is double the price.

I'm with you! As one of the posters the OP is disagreeing with (price change and incentives were major in my case, nearly $2000 difference for two cabins), I really was only looking for a small token from NCL, but my TA was told "she's paid in full, we aren't doing anything."

Well, it is what it is...but I'll never book early with them again. As in ever.

And for the record, I see all those who agree with OP were cruisers who saw prices go UP after they booked :D

And for the record, I see all those who agree with OP were cruisers who saw prices go UP after they booked :D

The only time I've ever seen my prices go down is after final payment. At this point in time the TA I used to book does not show anymore cabins available in the category I'm booked in for my cruise in October so I can't even compare prices.

You certainly have carried the CLs water on this issue, which is fine. Everyone has their own opinion.

The "other side" you mention, and other support, appear to all indicate that you still have a NET GAIN; i.e., no loss or impairment.

I am glad for you.

The FIRST "other side" had NET REDUCTIONS; i.e., loss or impairment.

So, it appear reasonable to conclude, that those who weren't impaired are OK with these deal factors, and those who were impaired are NOT OK.

I wholly support everyone's right to express the affect on them. If others don't agree, although I support their right also to express the no affect on them, I don't get why the effort to discount the concerns of others. If you are happy, great. The others obviously are not, so they post. They aren't wrong or not unhappy because you and others are happy.

Just saying.

IMO, the attempt to fill ships by CLs closer to cruise dates by such last minute significant deals, will cause less advance bookings in the long run as, IMO only, the 'happy's, not cost affected" are outnumbered by the "not happy's, cost affected."

Again, JIMHO.

You certainly have carried the CLs water on this issue, which is fine. Everyone has their own opinion.

The "other side" you mention, and other support, appear to all indicate that you still have a NET GAIN; i.e., no loss or impairment.

I am glad for you.

The FIRST "other side" had NET REDUCTIONS; i.e., loss or impairment.

So, it appear reasonable to conclude, that those who weren't impaired are OK with these deal factors, and those who were impaired are NOT OK.

I wholly support everyone's right to express the affect on them. If others don't agree, although I support their right also to express the no affect on them, I don't get why the effort to discount the concerns of others. If you are happy, great. The others obviously are not, so they post. They aren't wrong or not unhappy because you and others are happy.

Just saying.

IMO, the attempt to fill ships by CLs closer to cruise dates by such last minute significant deals, will cause less advance bookings in the long run as, IMO only, the 'happy's, not cost affected" are outnumbered by the "not happy's, cost affected."

Again, JIMHO.

First all, I'm not carrying anyone's water but my own.

Second, there is no question that I have (thus far) been on the good side of the price change, but your conclusion misses my entire point. My point isn't that anybody is "wrong." My point is that, for ME, if I'm happy when the price goes up because I don't have to pay more, I feel a bit hypocritical to then expect compensation from NCL when the price goes down. That's ME and that was my point. Clearly, some others agree with me and yes, they were also people who's price went up. That's why the thread was called "the other side of the pricing issue."

And I'm sure you are right that, if the drastic price drops continue, there will be less advanced bookings. I'm also sure that if that affects the bottom line significantly, NCL will change there policies. As I've said repeatedly, I totally encourage people to book at the last minute if their schedules allow them to do that. More often than not, this will probably get them the best deal and if they have a lot of flexibility, then the times when it costs them the best deal will not matter as much. I'm all for that idea. I wish I could do it myself.