HAL Nieuw Amsterdam v NCL Epic

TMS9539

We are trying to choose between these two very different ships. We have never sailed with either HAL or NCL, so no matter what it will be a new experience. From my research so far it seems to me that Nieuw Amsterdam will have nicer cabins and better food & service, but NCL Epic will have more to do and better shows. Am I correct in that assumption? What else can anyone tell me about the two ships?

Price is about the same for both, and both itineraries are good, so it's really just a matter of which ship we would prefer.

Any help is much appreciated!

Your best opinions will come from those who have sailed both lines, for sure. I've got all of one cruise with HAL, but will say that the NCL Epic has a reputation for some strange design choices - such as the layout of the cabins and the bathrooms in them.

We found HAL to be very similar to Princess and with more finesse than Carnival, both of which we've cruised multiple times.

Hated Epic. Very large group of people with ship pools that are smaller than backyard pools. Very congested in every restaurant, pool area, show, you name it. Hated the cabins and I had one of the better ones. Beds are for people 5 feet or shorter, bathroom and shower are in the room with the sink virtually in the desk. Little to no storage and if you have bad knees you will have trouble navigating around the furniture. Only good thing on that ship was the cirque de soliel dinner theatre which was incredible.

Hal is an older crowd generally speaking. However the rooms are much nicer, not nearly the congested feel, lovely decor and you can actually find places to feel like you have some space -both inside and outside. Private island for hal ships is bar none the best around. My ships of choice are rccl, but I would do and do in fact sail HAL IF the itinerary and price is good, which often it is.

Oh yes there is a huge water slide on epic so kids could enjoy that

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Let me further explain the bathroom. Open the door and toilet is on one side and shower on the other. Not an enclosed full bath. Both have see through glass but there is a curtain you can pull in front of them. One step from there is the bed and I am 5'6" and my feet were off the end of the bed. Approx. 12 inches between bed and desk and the sink for the bathroom is part of that. Get the picture?

there is NO separate self contained bathroom. I sailed solo in a double cabin and was castrophobic by tge end. This was a balcony mini suite!

REally depends on what you are looking for, HAL is more traditional and more formal. NCL is very very casual and therefore less traditonal. No formal nights at all on NCL. We do like to dress at least smart casual and well as formal but not all people do.

We cruised on the NCL Jade last year. We found food and service in the MDR not even close to what we have come to expect on HAL, Princess, Celebrity and Cunard which we cruise regularly. We eat in the Lido the entire cruise, it was okay but did not have as many options as one might find on other lines, more comfort food items. We would still cruise on NCL but know what to expect.

Price is the really difference we found, NCL is much cheaper.

We did find the cabin on the Jade a mini suite very nice and well designed.

We did a Mediterranean cruise on the Jade from Rome, very port intensive so we did not check out the entertainment on board.

Our cruise preferences are Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity and NCL.

Let me further explain the bathroom. Open the door and toilet is on one side and shower on the other. Not an enclosed full bath. Both have see through glass but there is a curtain you can pull in front of them. One step from there is the bed and I am 5'6" and my feet were off the end of the bed. Approx. 12 inches between bed and desk and the sink for the bathroom is part of that. Get the picture?

there is NO separate self contained bathroom. I sailed solo in a double cabin and was castrophobic by tge end. This was a balcony mini suite!

Thanks for the description. I just googled for pictures of these cabins and I'm shocked. Where's your privacy? What if someone opens the hallway door when you are 'busy'. I'd never stay in one of these cabins.

Nieuw Amsterdam would be my choice!

While my first choice would also be the Nieuw Amsterdam there are some things to consider. What type of cabin accommodations are you booking? If comparing Full Suite to Full Suite then NCL would win. If looking at a regular Balcony category on down then HAL would win. If you would enjoy dining in various specialty dining restaurants during the cruise each night then NCL would be good they offer an Ultimate Dining Package that you can go to any specialty dining restaurant each night for just $119 per person for a 7 day cruise actually a good value if you consider that into the cost of the cruise. But if you do not want to pay any extra money for dining then I would go with HAL. Do you enjoy formal nights and enjoy dressing up, go with HAL if you do not want to take any type of dress up clothing then go with NCL. Entertainment...fortunately Nieuw Amsterdam is better than some of the HAL ships for entertainment but the Epic is going to have far more. As well as far more things to do on board, the shows are going to have more of a WOW factor.

Gratuities while not drastically different all categories on NCL is $12.00 per person per day on HAL the regular balcony category and lower is just $11.50 per person person.

Crew are both equally great and service for both are also great!!

Each are very different but both will give you a fun cruise vacation it just depends on what you idea of Fun on a ship is ;)

If you want to go with the aesthetically ugliest looking ship on the seven seas, go with Epic! Then again, I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

NorwegianCruiseLineNorway-USA-NorwegianEpic2_zpsbae2c934.jpg

:D Yes Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder ;) Fortunately while cruising on the interior of the ship you cannot see the exterior

veendam_2009-09-10.jpg.024474c4deeb47c47f80ddec5bc1668c.jpg

That's VEDM, not NADM :p

While true it is not NADM I am just proving a point that shows beauty is in the eyes of the be holder and not all ships are aesthetically pretty ;) One does not notice while actually cruising how the appearance is on the outside.

While true it is not NADM I am just proving a point that shows beauty is in the eyes of the be holder and not all ships are aesthetically pretty ;) One does not notice while actually cruising how the appearance is on the outside.

I'll give ya that + you're the NCL expert. I have no clue what the Epic looks like on the inside. I do know her tenders and lifeboats are humongous! ;);)

I hope OP post this on NCL's forum as well. Here's one tool I use to compare ships - CC's own ship reviews. Epic received 71% "love it" rating compare to Niew Amsterstam's 83% based on over 1400 cruisers' reviews. That is quite a difference. One other factor - Epic has 4000+ pax. vs Niew Ams 2000+. Size may matter for some. Finally, I also look at CDC scores (though I am not sure how up to date they are), both ship scored well, Epic 92, NA 100 (I think 80 is the passing score).

Epic around 4000 pax and Nam around 2000

that would be the big difference for me (traveling with children in my case)

Travelled on the Eurodam last year, loved it!!

this year Noordam

I like the elegance, style, size of HAL!

I have been on both, also the very similar to NA Noordam, this year.

Epic is even uglier on the inside. The service levels in the dining rooms, even the pay ones on Epic are shockingly low. Lately, Epic has been adding Indonesian waiters which has improved matters. I have never had less than stellar service from the Indonesian waiters aboard HAL. Usually HAL sells for a slight premium over NCL. $399 per person per 7 day cruise on HAL is a great price for the quality.

I've been on the Epic and loved it! I was in a studio and loved it. Our group only ate in the specialty restaurants and they were superior to any HAL restaurant. Can't compare entertainment as the Epic is a wow. The pool area on the Epic is awful so I bought a spa pass and spent my sea days on the aft of the spa enjoying the water. Next cruise is on the Breakaway..aft suite, dining package. The cruise after that is on the Ryndam in a suite. I know the food won't be as good as the Epic but love the itineray. It's port intensive so entertainment isn't important. Epic is for a younger demographic than HAL.

I've been on the Epic and loved it! I was in a studio and loved it. Our group only ate in the specialty restaurants and they were superior to any HAL restaurant. Can't compare entertainment as the Epic is a wow. The pool area on the Epic is awful so I bought a spa pass and spent my sea days on the aft of the spa enjoying the water. Next cruise is on the Breakaway..aft suite, dining package. The cruise after that is on the Ryndam in a suite. I know the food won't be as good as the Epic but love the itineray. It's port intensive so entertainment isn't important. Epic is for a younger demographic than HAL.

The studios are, perhaps, Epic's saving grace. I spent 5 weeks in one. I also ate quite often in pay restaurants, not just using comps.. If I were going as a couple, NCL would lose that (severe price) advantage. Our group were blissfully happy with MDR on Noordam t/a, exceedingly unhappy with Epic MDR t/a. Entertainment wise, all that was missing for me on Epic was a classical string quartet, now reduced to a duo on board HAL. Amazingly, the Tallink Silja one night Baltic ferry crossings had string quartets over the past holiday period.