Room Inspection

jolson56

I'm right! Once you break the RC contract and you bring on contraband, they can search your entire room whether you like it or not if they have probable cause first. You give up your privacy over some rum runner bags! Hope it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a feeling you misread aquahounds post.

I read it as your incorrect assumption was that RCI needed probable cause, not what you posted above.

I'm right! Once you break the RC contract and you bring on contraband, they can search your entire room whether you like it or not if they have probable cause first. You give up your privacy over some rum runner bags! Hope it's worth it.

The person you are quoting Aquahound Probably knows more abut this, than most of us on CC

Edited by jonbgd

Exactly, like I said they need some probable CAUSE to start searching your room. The maid cleaning your room and sees something that looks like contraband is enough info for them to search your room and if they find contraband, then that gives them the right to search everywhere in your room. Contract is broken which meNs you have no rights once YOU break the contract.

As others have indicated here, they do NOT need probable cause to search your room. It's their ship, their room, their rules.

How do they know you don't have any more contraband unless they search your entire room? Oh yea they're going to believe you when you say you have none left. Good luck with that and tell me how it goes. Lol.

You obviously did misread my post. The point on which I am trying to correct you is that they do NOT need Probable Cause to search your room. The cruise line is not a government agency. They are the owners of private property on which you are a guest under contract.

The authority to search a room for contraband falls on the Captain, but it can be delegated down to other officers.

Now, I'm am willing to bet they are not doing this. It is not reasonable to risk upsetting guests by adopting a policy of randomly searching rooms, not to mention, it opens them up to theft claims, etc. But either way, that does not mean they are held to the same constitutional constraints as the police.

Edited to add...take a look at section 8j of the RCI contract.

Edited by Aquahound

Cabin attendants have told us that their supervisors do check rooms to make sure it's properly cleaned. Perhaps if someone left liquor on the vanity or somewhere, the supervisor would confiscate it and let the guest know about it. Guest services would then tell that person that rooms are checked (for cleanliness?). This whole thread started with "a friend told me", and may hurt Royal Caribbean for no real reason. If we knew for sure that they randomly searched rooms, we wouldn't sail them. I don't believe they do.

You obviously did misread my post. The point on which I am trying to correct you is that they do NOT need Probable Cause to search your room. The cruise line is not a government agency. They are the owners of private property on which you are a guest under contract.

The authority to search a room for contraband falls on the Captain, but it can be delegated down to other officers.

Now, I'm am willing to bet they are not doing this. It is not reasonable to risk upsetting guests by adopting a policy of randomly searching rooms, not to mention, it opens them up to theft claims, etc. But either way, that does not mean they are held to the same constitutional constraints as the police.

Edited to add...take a look at section 8j of the RCI contract.

Not only that but I'm pretty sure that international law gives ship's captains and crews tremendous powers while at sea, mostly due to the (until recently) impossibility of getting warrants etc while offshore.

For example I've heard of passengers being confined to their cabins with security posted outside for health/disciplinary reasons, you certainly couldn't do that on land without a formal arrest etc.

And as has been mentioned, many get confused about "constitutional rights." The constitution is a government document that defines your rights vis a vis the government. So for example while the constitution may guarantee that the government can't prosecute me for something I've said, that doesn't mean my private employer can't fire me for something I said.

Edited by DrD

Aside from the room steward doing his/her daily job, there are:

1) The minibar attendant (if you took everything out of the fridge and stored it elsewhere, I can easily see him looking for it before he charges you for it),

2) a security person when the muster drill starts to make sure your cabin is vacant,

3) a housekeeping supervisor doing a random check on his staff's work,

4) Maintenance crew either fixing something, looking for the cause of a problem in the vicinity of your cabin,

5) housekeeping changing out bedding or other furnishings that pop up on the replacement list (we came back to our cabin on one cruise, and the only part of the bed that was still there was the frame - everything else was gone):eek:

and I'm sure I've missed a few.

Point is, any of those crew could have seen something out of the ordinary and reported it.

Our cabin steward warned us not to leave our bottle of vodka on the bar that we had for 4th of July bloody marys as we watched the Hubbard Glacier. He said in the event of a cabin inspection it would be taken. It wasn't big, but anything is enough. Ever since if we have something it is not left out for anyone to see. Heck, Wwe were in a Grand Suite with the bar and it looked naked without alcohol :rolleyes: They were not looking for alcohol but looking at the cabin stewards ability to properly clean the cabin.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Not only that but I'm pretty sure that international law gives ship's captains and crews tremendous powers while at sea, mostly due to the (until recently) impossibility of getting warrants etc while offshore.

For example I've heard of passengers being confined to their cabins with security posted outside for health/disciplinary reasons, you certainly couldn't do that on land without a formal arrest etc.

And as has been mentioned, many get confused about "constitutional rights." The constitution is a government document that defines your rights vis a vis the government. So for example while the constitution may guarantee that the government can't prosecute me for something I've said, that doesn't mean my private employer can't fire me for something I said.

And once you set foot on the ship you have left your country and enter the ship's flag country so the US constitutional rights no longer apply in the ship.

You'll be protected by the Bahamas constitutional rights

.... right?

Doesn't bother me that ship staff enter the stateroom I am occupying. After all, I don't own the ship. I really don't expect that staff is searching through drawers, but, I do expect that ship employees, other then my state room attendant, may on occasion enter my stateroom.

And once you set foot on the ship you have left your country and enter the ship's flag country so the US constitutional rights no longer apply in the ship.

You'll be protected by the Bahamas constitutional rights

.... right?

Well, no, not really. That gets a lot more complicated. That general statement can't be made because it depends on the situation.

Well, no, not really. That gets a lot more complicated. That general statement can't be made because it depends on the situation.

Im honestly curious, it depends on the ships position? if it is on US waters, on international waters or another country territorial waters? or is it something else im not even thinking about? :confused:

i allways thought that a foreing registred vessel whether a ship or airplane was like an extention of the sovereing country, kind of but not quite like an embassy.

i mean if a woman delivers a baby on a US flag ship; the baby is an american born citizen....right?

im most likely wrong on all counts and its a lot more complicated, but if you can elaborate just a bit i'll really appreciate it

No expectaction of privacy in our staterooms? There is a reasonable expectation of privacy in our staterooms IMO. Maybe not in the workplace, but certainly in a stateroom in which one resides for the duration of the trip. We dont leave our valuables, meds, money and private stuff out, why would you leave your contraband out? Wonder how the ship handles med mary now that its legal in many states for medicinal use.

No expectaction of privacy in our staterooms? There is a reasonable expectation of privacy in our staterooms IMO. Maybe not in the workplace, but certainly in a stateroom in which one resides for the duration of the trip. We dont leave our valuables, meds, money and private stuff out, why would you leave your contraband out? Wonder how the ship handles med mary now that its legal in many states for medicinal use.

There is an expectation of privacy in my opinion. I've never had anyone rummage through my things on a ship. They would have a lot of explaining to do if I caught them regardless if it's their ship or not. I'm going to read the RC contract because something like that should be on there

Im honestly curious, it depends on the ships position? if it is on US waters, on international waters or another country territorial waters? or is it something else im not even thinking about? :confused:

i allways thought that a foreing registred vessel whether a ship or airplane was like an extention of the sovereing country, kind of but not quite like an embassy.

i mean if a woman delivers a baby on a US flag ship; the baby is an american born citizen....right?

im most likely wrong on all counts and its a lot more complicated, but if you can elaborate just a bit i'll really appreciate it

On ships embarking and disembarking in the US, the US has authority over certain crimes while the ship is at sea. Concurrently, the ships flag state also has authority. In foreign port, that country has jurisdiction. If the cruise is out of Florida, even certain Florida laws, like Domestic Battery, apply at sea.

Going overseas, the US has jurisdiction over matters concerning US citizens.

Even if the ship didn't embark in the US, if the US is the next port of call, the US has jurisdiction on the ship.

I'd have to refresh my memory on the example of a baby being born at sea. I don't remember exactly how that works. I want to say flag state takes precedence.

You do have a reasonable expectation of privacy....from law enforcement.

Marijuana is still illegal federally. It is not permitted on board.

I've never seen any crew member looking for something to do in their idle time. If they are inspecting rooms, I am confident they have a legitimate reason for doing so. We lock up our valuables and have nothing to hide.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

On ships embarking and disembarking in the US, the US has authority over certain crimes while the ship is at sea. Concurrently, the ships flag state also has authority. In foreign port, that country has jurisdiction. If the cruise is out of Florida, even certain Florida laws, like Domestic Battery, apply at sea.

Going overseas, the US has jurisdiction over matters concerning US citizens.

Even if the ship didn't embark in the US, if the US is the next port of call, the US has jurisdiction on the ship.

I'd have to refresh my memory on the example of a baby being born at sea. I don't remember exactly how that works. I want to say flag state takes precedence.

You do have a reasonable expectation of privacy....from law enforcement.

Marijuana is still illegal federally. It is not permitted on board.

I would think that once they initially search your bags and me prior to entering the ship that I would expect privacy after they see I don't have anything illegal in my possession.

I would think that once they initially search your bags and me prior to entering the ship that I would expect privacy after they see I don't have anything illegal in my possession.

Section 8j of RCIs contract says they have the right to inspect you and your belongings with or without consent. I'm sure there are other subsections as well. Because you get on and off the ship throughout the cruise, it opens the possibility of bringing contraband on board, so they hold that right to inspect at any time. Of course, their concern isn't rum runners. It's items that cause fire hazards, drugs, weapons or other illegal items. The ships Master could be held responsible for pulling into port with contraband on board, so they take it very seriously.

Edited by Aquahound