Room Inspection

jolson56

I've never seen any crew member looking for something to do in their idle time. If they are inspecting rooms, I am confident they have a legitimate reason for doing so. We lock up our valuables and have nothing to hide.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We had one room steward, actually lay out the GF's jewelry(necklaces/bracelets) on a hand towel .

When I cruise, I bring an EMPTY rum runner with me and a canvas six-pack cooler. On the ship, I ask the room steward to fill the cooler with ice which will last me all day and place it in the shower because it "sweats." Then I fill the empty rum runner with my white wine and place it in the cooler because the refrigerator barely cools anything and I like my white wine cold. The rum runner fits very nicely in the cooler and I move it to the very bottom covered by ice at the first opportunity if the room steward hasn't done it.

The wine, before they allowed you to bring it on the ship, were bottles that were comped due to loyalty level. Now I have those bottles plus the two I'm allowed to bring on. I'd be really upset if they took my "legal" wine and rum runner. I think I'll start saving the empty bottles to show them where the wine came from if that happens.

Tucker in Texas

Friends of ours had their room checked and all rum runners removed.

Is anyone aware of this procedure?

They went to Guest Services and were told 15 rooms a day are randomly checked.Their rum runners were not returned to them.

Thanks in advance :)

I call BS.. but, any post to generate hit count.

Section 8j of RCIs contract says they have the right to inspect you and your belongings with or without consent. I'm sure there are other subsections as well. Because you get on and off the ship throughout the cruise, it opens the possibility of bringing contraband on board, so they hold that right to inspect at any time. Of course, their concern isn't rum runners. It's items that cause fire hazards, drugs, weapons or other illegal items. The ships Master could be held responsible for pulling into port with contraband on board, so they take it very seriously.

So this section of 8j give notice of inspection, but most people would assume this would cover when you board the ship, and the cruise line has the ability to check baggage and check the passengers. I would no way find the section as an acceptable reason for them to examine my room and belongings.

I find it sad that people are finding the practice of randomly going through rooms an acceptable practice. I have nothing to hide, but I do not find it acceptable for anyone to go through my room beyond the standard upkeep and maintain, especially without my knowledge or my presence.

But I wonder how many of the supporters of this practice pitch a fit when they have their bags checked in customs, or TSA brings them aside for a random pat down.

Section 8j of RCIs contract says they have the right to inspect you and your belongings with or without consent. I'm sure there are other subsections as well. Because you get on and off the ship throughout the cruise, it opens the possibility of bringing contraband on board, so they hold that right to inspect at any time. Of course, their concern isn't rum runners. It's items that cause fire hazards, drugs, weapons or other illegal items. The ships Master could be held responsible for pulling into port with contraband on board, so they take it very seriously.

But I'm inspected every time I enter the ship too. They should do a better job searching for contraband. They could also be held responsible for someone that drinks too much alcohol especially if it's not from their bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is an expectation of privacy in my opinion. I've never had anyone rummage through my things on a ship. They would have a lot of explaining to do if I caught them regardless if it's their ship or not. I'm going to read the RC contract because something like that should be on there

So did you find anything?

So did you find anything?

Haven't read it yet. If you look up it seems that someone beat me to it. I think that rule only applies when you're leaving the ship and getting back on. Once inspected the first time there's really no need to search my room again even if I leave the ship. Security needs to do a better job on their end in my opinion.

So this section of 8j give notice of inspection, but most people would assume this would cover when you board the ship, and the cruise line has the ability to check baggage and check the passengers. I would no way find the section as an acceptable reason for them to examine my room and belongings.

I find it sad that people are finding the practice of randomly going through rooms an acceptable practice. I have nothing to hide, but I do not find it acceptable for anyone to go through my room beyond the standard upkeep and maintain, especially without my knowledge or my presence.

But I wonder how many of the supporters of this practice pitch a fit when they have their bags checked in customs, or TSA brings them aside for a random pat down.

exactly.. wonder how they would feel if instead of Rum Runners the folks sneaking around in their room copied some of their 'private' pictures.

Edited by Sherlock43031

exactly.. wonder how they would feel if instead of Rum Runners the folks sneaking around in their room copied some of their 'private' pictures.[/

I agree and I wouldn't want anyone looking through my wife's personal belongings . That would piss me off.

exactly.. wonder how they would feel if instead of Rum Runners the folks sneaking around in their room copied some of their 'private' pictures.

Who keeps private pictures on a cabinet while on a cruise.

Heck who leaves private photos out at home:confused:

Just a few thoughts on this. Don't we pretty much sign our rights away when we go on a cruise ship? The room is theirs and it's my understanding that they can enter whenever they want.

Also, when signing up for Meet and Mingles you have to give your CC username do you not? If you talked about anything dodgy on the forums they'd know it and I would think that you might be flagged. I do believe that all the cruise lines monitor this site.

I could be wrong.

The first part of your post: absolutely correct. The cruise contract actually states this in pretty certain and unambiguous terms.

2nd part: Agreed. I think they do monitor and I think they do flag.

NCL Cruise Contract - Section 7: Pasted in it's entirety, pertinent wording is bolded.

" 7. Baggage and Valuables:

(a) The term "baggage" means suitcases, valises, satchels, bags, hangers or bundles and their contents consisting of clothing, clothing accessories, toilet articles, and similar personal effects, including all other personal property of the Guest not in a container. The Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments, or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in 46 U.S.C. § 30503. The Guest warrants that no such items will be presented to the Carrier within any receptacle or container as baggage, and hereby releases the Carrier from all liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to the Carrier in breach of this warranty. The Guest further warrants that he or she has not carried onto the vessel any items mentioned in paragraph 4(e) of this Contract, as well as goods or articles for purposes of trade or commerce, contraband, illegal drugs, and goods or articles which otherwise may violate the customs laws of the country from which the vessel embarks or of any other port State visited by the vessel during the course of the voyage, and the Guest agrees to indemnify the Carrier for any fines, duties, taxes, or other penalties that may be incurred as a result of any item brought on board by the Guest. Guest agrees to permit Carrier to inspect any and all baggage or other items, with or without the Guest being present, at any time and further consents to Carrier removing any items not permitted on board Carrier’s vessels. If unauthorized items are brought on board any of Carrier’s vessels, Carrier reserves the right to disembark the Guest without refund of any costs incurred. The Carrier shall not be liable for any loss of or damage to any perishable items, dentures and/or other dental devices, optical devices (including contact lenses), audio/auditory devices, wheelchairs, motorized scooters and/or other similar devices, prosthetics, crutches, medications, cameras, recreational and/or sporting equipment, jewelry, cell phones, clothing, electronic devices, cash, securities or other negotiable instruments under any circumstances whatsoever, whether carried within the Guest's baggage or otherwise."

In my view, the bolded sections imply, even if they do not directly state, they can inspect your stateroom for said contraband and prohibited items.

As an aside, I only read these threads for the entertainment value --- I am constantly impressed by the ingenuity of my fellow cruisers. I do not personally smuggle alcohol and usually purchase bar sets or packages. But I certainly admire your guts and your creativity.

Peace and happy cruising to all.

Edited by artist47

Who keeps private pictures on a cabinet while on a cruise.

Heck who leaves private photos out at home:confused:

private pictures while they were looking through the pictures on your digital camera..

or maybe one of the stewards likes to collect a pair of panties here and there. (or worse)

Edited by Sherlock43031

Look, TSA and customs may have gone through your wife's panties before you even board the boat.

My philosophy is that I am not bringing any contraband because 1) it's stupid and 2) I have a lousy poker face and would immediately start with the sweating and the heart pounding a la Midnight Express.

I do feel bad for the inspectors, though, as we usually throw all of our dirties in one bottom drawer. :eek:

Bottom line: their boat, their rules, the end.

I say good for them. It was known contraband and it looks like RCL is taking a bolder stand on the Rum Runner. I am sure this is sad news for most but I am shocked that it has taken this long for them to catch on to a better way to find these in luggage or rooms.

no, that's total bullsh*t. its not a jail cell where the "authorities" have any business coming in and checking for "contraband".

if, by this point, you got your liquor by the checks the cruise line has in place to prevent it, then they have NO business coming in and rifling thru your personal space and belongings looking for it ... that's a serious invasion of privacy and I'd have a MAJOR problem with this.

I could see if there were suspected drugs or illegal activity of some sort, but NOT for smuggled liquor

It can't really be worth pissing customers off SEARCHING THEIR CABINS to enforce this policy ... just to "make a point"

Edited by F27TW

I don't think anyone here actually thinks it's an acceptable practice. In fact, most think it didn't happen....and I agree.

But I'm inspected every time I enter the ship too. They should do a better job searching for contraband.

Perhaps, but that's beside the point. The discussion was about the legality of it, not what they could or should be doing.

no, that's total bullsh*t. its not a jail cell where the "authorities" have any business coming in and checking for "contraband".

if, by this point, you got your liquor by the checks the cruise line has in place to prevent it, then they have NO business coming in and rifling thru your personal space and belongings looking for it ... that's a serious invasion of privacy and I'd have a MAJOR problem with this.

I could see if there were suspected drugs or illegal activity of some sort, but NOT for smuggled liquor

It can't really be worth pissing customers off SEARCHING THEIR CABINS to enforce this policy ... just to "make a point"

They have a right to make sure we all follow rules on their ship. If you don't like it, quit smuggling or stay home.

While we don't smuggle anything on board (don't even take the wine), we would not feel comfortable sailing RCI if their policy is to randomly search cabins.

I agree. This is an invasion of privacy. Do they search anyone's of some they think may have something they shouldn't?