Pacific coastal Late Sept weather for forward balcony

Wildcatllamas

I have a forward Penthouse on the Sun for the Pacific Coastal in September but have started to wonder about the weather that time of year out of Vancouver. Would rather switch to an aft Penthouse then not be able to use the balcony due to nasty weather.

I have a forward Penthouse on the Sun for the Pacific Coastal in September but have started to wonder about the weather that time of year out of Vancouver. Would rather switch to an aft Penthouse then not be able to use the balcony due to nasty weather.

The forward penthouse balconies are our favorites, but I will agree that they're likely to be chilly in September in the northern areas, particularly when the ship is moving.

When the ship is not moving, the forward balconies can be quite pleasant. We had a lovely afternoon sitting in the sun on our balcony in Juneau harbor, and the air temp was in the 40's (F). Even if it's a little chilly, you can usually back up out of of the wind on the larger forward balconies on those ships.

Since your cruise is a Pacific Coastal, I'm assuming you're heading south..the forward balcony would become more and more usable as you went south, of course, but probably still chilly when the ship is moving.

At that time of year, I'd go with an aft balcony suite if you want to use the balcony a lot.

Edited by VideoTech

Thanks for the help VideoTech and Indiana Joe. I have a cabin on the portside stern so there looks to be more protection than a center stern cabin. It will be sunny since we will be headed south. So that was why I initially booked it but then though - hmm weather.

Thank you everyone. Have friend who has said if her husband says yes she may join me. Will run all this by her as well. She is used to sailing in an inside so sure don't want her first experience with a balcony to be a bad "are you kidding me" type thing.

We did this trip in 2009 on the Star and had the best weather but I have a feeling our weather was not typical. It was warm and sunny in Vancouver and Astoria (upper 70s at Astoria as I recall). We even went down to Cannon Beach and the high school was having gym on the beach (or at least one of the high schools on the way down there).

The sea day down to SFO was dreary. With the questionable weather, I'd probably go aft but the thought about SFO having a front cabin would be great, but you could always go into the forward facing lounge for that or one of the top decks.

We've done 4 Pacific Coastal in the fall and the weather is unpredictable.

2009 the weather was fantastic and there were sun bathers leaving Vancouver.

2010 the weather was cloudy till Astoria then sunny the rest of the way down.

2011 was raining leaving Vancouver and rough in open seas causing us to miss Astoria, sunny in SF

2013 miserable weather all the way to SF with another miss in Astoria, sunny in SF, SB, & LA

It's a crap shoot so I'd check Vancouver weather before you leave. It always seems to improve once you reach northern California.

I'm sure I'll be doing this cruise again as it's a nice getaway for us in Vancouver. I know to book after final payment and use the saving on the Spa if the weather sucks. Sun before SF is just an added bonus!

Edited by lamchops

We've done 4 Pacific Coastal in the fall and the weather is unpredictable.

2009 the weather was fantastic and there were sun bathers leaving Vancouver.

2010 the weather was cloudy till Astoria then sunny the rest of the way down.

2011 was raining leaving Vancouver and rough in open seas causing us to miss Astoria, sunny in SF

2013 miserable weather all the way to SF with another miss in Astoria, sunny in SF, SB, & LA

It's a crap shoot so I'd check Vancouver weather before you leave. It always seems to improve once you reach northern California.

I'm sure I'll be doing this cruise again as it's a nice getaway for us in Vancouver. I know to book after final payment and use the saving on the Spa if the weather sucks. Sun before SF is just an added bonus!

So when you say rough in open seas will that make guests in those front cabins feel like ping pong balls in a tin can?:eek: My friend gets sea sick on rough seas so just trying to be prepared.