Car rental maps

JudithLynne

My husband and I just reserved cars in Maui and Hilo (Hawaii) for our upcoming cruise.

This may be a dumb question: will the car rental company give us a map of the island with sights that we can see or do we need to get maps in advance?

Yes, all the rental car agencies will give you a driving map.

In my experience the maps from car rental agencies are bare basics and it's best to get a more detailed map from somewhere. We ordered the travel brochures from Hawaii tourism and they are very informative ( and so fun to drool over)!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The rental car companies in Hawaii give out a "Hawaii Drive Guide" (there's one for each island) which have good maps in them. There's a full map for each island, plus area maps. You can see the contents of the booklet in this link. Click on the guide for the island, and then "contents".

With such a short amount of time on each island, I would try to determine in advance what you are going to do (or have a list of a few options). I map them out on google map and often print and take those maps with me.

You can call Hawaii Island visitor center at (800)648-2441 or go to http://www.bigisland.org and request their travel planner and their maps and they will send you one of each island you are going to.

Thank you for that suggestion. I went to their site and ordered my books last night. It says they can take up to 4 weeks to receive, so I am hoping I get them by my Feb 12 cruise. Worth case you can look at them online in PDF form and I could always print out the most critical pages.

The rental car companies in Hawaii give out a "Hawaii Drive Guide" (there's one for each island) which have good maps in them. There's a full map for each island, plus area maps. You can see the contents of the booklet in this link. Click on the guide for the island, and then "contents".

With such a short amount of time on each island, I would try to determine in advance what you are going to do (or have a list of a few options). I map them out on google map and often print and take those maps with me.

I did that exact thing for Oahu. We know what we are going to do pre-cruise for the three days there so I printed out Mapquest directions. I am hoping my Google maps on iPhone will come in handy as long as I have reception. We are only also driving on Maui and have a fair idea of what we are doing, but the maps provided will be really helpful for that too.

Thank you Susan-M. From the link that you provided,I have also ordered the driving plan books for Hawaii and Maui; we will enjoy looking those over on our 6hr flight from Seattle to HNL.

I also contacted the tourism website and have ordered their information. You all have been very helpful and it is much appreciated......

Judith