Choice Air vs Internet

sabrefan

I would also add that you should check out other days than what you want - for a one way ticket to Rome, one day made a $1800! difference.

We booked 1 way home from Venice for July this year. $1800 difference also had we can avoid an airline we dislike!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

I've found that choiceair.com is only good for one way to/from Europe. They can't be touched by the airlines themselves or discount travel agents. Last year from Phoenix to Southhampton, England was $396 p.p., flying on Delta. When I went to Delta's web site to change seats, there price was about $1800. We are going to Barcelona, again from Phoenix, in October on Air Canada (not cheapest but best flight times), for $519 p.p. Air Canada's rate shows at $3,000+. According to my online travel agent, who I trust completely and been doing it for many years, there is little to no risk using choiceair.com.

For Continental U.S., you can do better through a travel agent or the airlines themselves.

We have always used Choice Air and have never had a problem. In fact, on one occasion Choice Air saved our cruise. We used Choice Air in November for our flight to Barcelona from Chicago. The air fair was under $600.00 and the airlines wanted almost $3,000.00 for a one way ticket. For that price differential it's worth whatever risk there may have been in using them. At least to us. We were told by our travel agent that because of our low fare we would not be allowed to upgrade to Economy plus. When we were checking in the agent offered us an upgrade to Business Class. Of course there was a price to be paid but it was worth the extra. Sometimes I think it depends on you you talk to and what the circumstances are.

I was on RCL cruise out of Venice, our plane was late leaving by 3 hours , got into Vence at 2:30 pm

We book though Choice Air, and so did a lot of people, about 3 buses on the transfer

They delayed the ship departure so we could make the ship

The biggest reason to book Choice Air is cheap one way ticket , but all the haters of Choice Air cannot get that though their heads

We are booking the cheapest , with cheapest ticket there could always be problems

The haters want you to book a ticket with 10 connection , 10 days out and still be hundreds of $ over Choice air tickets

:p

To the OP, as you can tell there are a lot of wide and varying opinions on Choice Air. Like anything you need to look at all the aspects to see if it's a good idea for you.

I often book Choice Air. Here is what I look at.

1) Can I get a routing that allows sufficient time in case of delays or cancellations? I look for flights that have at least a 2 hr layover (if connecting and sometimes 3-4 hrs depending on the time of year and airport I'm being routed through) and get me to my port at least 6 hrs prior to departure (or perhaps the day prior if my schedule allows it). One of the best features of Choice Air is that you can pick your itinerary and Airline. If you don't see the routing you want on the site, a quick call to Choice Air can locate your route and provide you with a quote.

2) I compare pricing from Choice Air to that offered by the airlines and travel sites. I use ITA software to try and figure out my options.

3) As others have mentioned, if there is a significant price difference you may be getting a different class of ticket. My last cruise I wound up withe exact same ticket and still saved a couple hundred dollars. Getting a different class of ticket may or may not be a bad thing depending on your overall travel plans.

4) Many have asked for more examples (good and bad) of what Choice Air does or doesn't do in the event you happen to miss your ship (worst case scenario). I've been a member of this forum for many years and don't recall much posted either way.

I did have one experience with Choice Air and a flight problem involved missing a connection. I didn't need to contact Choice Air however as the airline offered me three flight options (on three different airlines) that would get me to my port on time.

Don't let fear drive you to pay more for a flight than you need to, but make your decision with eyes wide open.

The biggest reason to book Choice Air is cheap one way ticket , but all the haters of Choice Air cannot get that though their heads

We are booking the cheapest , with cheapest ticket there could always be problems

The haters want you to book a ticket with 10 connection , 10 days out and still be hundreds of $ over Choice air tickets

:p

The "haters" are well aware that people want to book CA in order to get the cheapest tickets. What the CA cheerleaders cannot get through their heads is that that savings comes at a potential cost. You are always giving up something in exchange for that bargain fare. As long as you know what you're giving up and the risk or tradeoff is worth it to you, that's fine. But many people are seem to be completely unaware that there's a trade off.

As for problems with the cheapest ticket, you're right- there could always be problems. The difference is that with CA, you never really know how helpful they're going to be. Sure, some people report great results... "CA came through for us, they contacted us, they made arrangements, it all worked out great etc. etc." But many other people have reported the opposite... "We called CA but couldn't get through to anyone on the weekend," or "We called CA and they told us we needed to contact the airline and were no help." If you book directly with the airline, there's no middleman to worry about whether they will or will not intercede on your behalf.

Lastly, your last comment is pure exaggeration and you know it. I've never seen anyone post that you need to book a ticket with multiple connections or as far as 10 days out. As for the cost? If you go over to the Cruise Air forum, you can get a lot of tips on how to find airfare that rivals the bargain price you may be seeing through CA. The "haters" do not say you should pay more... they say that if you're going to pay less, than know what you're giving up in return, and if you don't want to give that up, there are ways match or almost match the bargain price.

WE always include Choice Air in our airfare shopping. I never rely on only one source. I shop around.

You won't know if it is a better or worse alternative for a given flight until you check cruise air, the airline's sites, and other internet sources and compare the results.

In most cases we've done better, or just as well, directly on the airline's site. But there have been a couple times when Choice Air was the best option for us.

Exactly. It pays to shop, especially for airfares. Prices can vary a lot, from day to day, and from site to site. We flew Denver to Venice for a cruise last year. Orbitz ended up having the best price for that one, but other times we've had the airline's own website have the best price, or Expedia, or some of the others... for the exact same flights.

For that Venice cruise last, our friends had actually booked it more than a year in advance. About 4 months prior to the cruise we decided to join them. The DEN-VCE round-trip fares was $1800+ by then (per person). We just couldn't justify paying that for a 7-day cruise alone. So I started expanding the search to include a 3rd leg. Found a 3-leg fare that allowed us a 3-night stay in Paris on the way back from Venice for $100 less. It was still pricey (airfares to Europe were exceptionally high for that period, but we had no choice if we wanted to join our friends who were already locked in), but we could justify the high fare in order to see Venice/Adriatic cruise PLUS a few days in Paris.

The point is, do lots of searching, including getting creative with 3-legs if your schedule allows for it. It may actually be cheaper to include more stops.

The "haters" are well aware that people want to book CA in order to get the cheapest tickets. What the CA cheerleaders cannot get through their heads is that that savings comes at a potential cost. You are always giving up something in exchange for that bargain fare. As long as you know what you're giving up and the risk or tradeoff is worth it to you, that's fine. But many people are seem to be completely unaware that there's a trade off.

As for problems with the cheapest ticket, you're right- there could always be problems. The difference is that with CA, you never really know how helpful they're going to be. Sure, some people report great results... "CA came through for us, they contacted us, they made arrangements, it all worked out great etc. etc." But many other people have reported the opposite... "We called CA but couldn't get through to anyone on the weekend," or "We called CA and they told us we needed to contact the airline and were no help." If you book directly with the airline, there's no middleman to worry about whether they will or will not intercede on your behalf.

Lastly, your last comment is pure exaggeration and you know it. I've never seen anyone post that you need to book a ticket with multiple connections or as far as 10 days out. As for the cost? If you go over to the Cruise Air forum, you can get a lot of tips on how to find airfare that rivals the bargain price you may be seeing through CA. The "haters" do not say you should pay more... they say that if you're going to pay less, than know what you're giving up in return, and if you don't want to give that up, there are ways match or almost match the bargain price.

Noticed :p after I wrote it :rolleyes:

The 10 days may be little high, but was told by the haters to stay in city for 4 nights to cheaper flight , which was only $50 cheaper then CA, some play $800 in hotel room to save $50

Or travel for 24 hours , instead of 12 and pay $200 more instead of booking with CA

I have ask airlines what would happen if we miss a connecting flight , they reply they would get tried to get us on the next flight

The haters always hate CA , they cannot help themselves :eek:

• 1 month later...

Please help me out here.......I must be missing something! Looking at choice air I see booking one way fare from JFK to Venice and one way fare from Venice to Jfk is close to $300 less than booking it round trip?? Does anyone see a problem booking each flight separately? Based on round trip, airfare from choice air and delta are the same........

Please help me out here.......I must be missing something! Looking at choice air I see booking one way fare from JFK to Venice and one way fare from Venice to Jfk is close to $300 less than booking it round trip?? Does anyone see a problem booking each flight separately? Based on round trip, airfare from choice air and delta are the same........

That's rare for 1-ways to add up to less than a RT, but it doesn't totally surprise me. Nothing really surprises me much with airfare pricing. It's all over the map (no pun intended).

I see no problem booking 1-ways, as long as you're sure they're the flights you want/need. You might get looked at a little harder by security when getting on the plane, as 1-way international flights get more scrutiny. But that's no big deal.

With all respect, it really has nothing to do with insecurity. Gonzo70's point is well taken. The risk you are running with a consolidator or bulk ticket is where you will be in the line of passengers to be re-accommodated if your flight is canceled or you miss your connection, no matter whose fault it was. Any airline's computer will put higher fare basis tickets at the front of the line and the lowest value tickets at the back of the line.

If the next flight or flights to your destination has collectively 40 seats available and you are 41 on the list because of your fare status, you won't be going anywhere until your number rises to the top.

If you haven't had to workaround a missed connection or a canceled flight, you've been either incredibly fortunate or haven't traveled enough yet. It's not a matter of trust, relationships or security/insecurity, it's economics that determines your fate, not the level of water in the glass.

Give me a break! What's the worst that can happen, I miss my cruise? In the past, I've booked four one way tickets, on transatlantics, with choice air. I've saved about $8,000 p.p. based on the price I saw when I changed seats. On my upcoming transatlantic, on the Silohuette, I paid a litlle over $1,000 p.p. That still leaves me $7,000 p.p. ahead. I think I can live with that.

Give me a break! What's the worst that can happen, I miss my cruise? In the past, I've booked four one way tickets, on transatlantics, with choice air. I've saved about $8,000 p.p. based on the price I saw when I changed seats. On my upcoming transatlantic, on the Silohuette, I paid a litlle over $1,000 p.p. That still leaves me $7,000 p.p. ahead. I think I can live with that.

I am thinking i might book the one ways...... I have never used choice air...it is a non stop flight and i have one day leeway if something happens to the flight .....I at least have some time to scramble! Not worried if something happens on the trip back!! Is choice air user friendly? At what point do you book your seat assignments?? Thanks for your input

Go with your heart. I'm coming home from Rome. There is 100+ seats from Rome to London. There is 100+ seats from London to Phoenix. Plus What is my risks about any of the flights being cancelled? Plus, I'm coming home, what does a day or two matter? Again, weigh the risk versus reward factor, and go with it. I'm not telling you what to do, just weigh the factors and make a decision based on them.

In all likelihood the one way fare are bulk/specially negotiated fares whereas the round trip are regular fares. If you do not encounter problems on travel day the one way tickets will work just like the round trip tickets and you will save money (it is possible you will receive reduced frequent flyer miles with them though). If you encounter a cancelled flight, a missed connection or a flight delayed to the extent you would miss the ship that is where the risk is incurred; it will likely be more difficult to be accommodated with the less expensive one way fares than the pricier round trip fare. Based on your follow up post that your flights are non-stop and you have wiggle room, it may well be worth the risk. As for seat assignments that you generally do directly with the airlines; it will depend on the airline's policy, not Choice Air as to when and whether you can choose seats in advance.

I am thinking i might book the one ways...... I have never used choice air...it is a non stop flight and i have one day leeway if something happens to the flight .....I at least have some time to scramble! Not worried if something happens on the trip back!! Is choice air user friendly? At what point do you book your seat assignments?? Thanks for your input

Leaving in 5 weeks for yet another Celebrity transatlantic. 15 nights on Silhouette for $630pp is a pretty nice deal. :)

That I am using Choice Air (for the fourth time with never even a minor hiccup) to fly one way from Rome to a remote, Podunk, upper mid west airport for only $579pp is even better. :D

All three legs FCO-JFK-MSP-FAR are regularly scheduled Delta Airlines flights, same aircraft, same pilots, same air traffic controllers, same baggage handlers as everyone else, just that I am getting it for a LOT less than the "regular" price. Still get the same two free bags from booking with a Delta Sky Miles Card. :cool:

IF there ARE flight disruptions or cancellations, EVERYONE is going to be miserably upset, but I will have paid far, FAR less to be in said misery.

Always look at booking JUST the LONG one way part with Choice Air, and using orbitz/expedia/etc. for the short domestic part. ;)

Used Choice Air to fly (DELTA) from FAR-FCO in October to meet Reflection for only $508, and that was booked only 8 days prior to departure. :eek:

Also check the same (Choice Air) itinerary but on different days. Leaving one day earlier OR one day later can save HUGE sums.

Just checked the Delta sight, they want 2658 euro for the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS!

Edited by teecee60

Always look at booking JUST the LONG one way part with Choice Air, and using orbitz/expedia/etc. for the short domestic part. ;)

That adds even another layer of risk. If you have separate tickets for flights on the same day you are in trouble if your first leg is late causing you to misconnect. If you are flying on a single ticket the airline has to eventually get you to your destination at no additional charge to you. If you bought one flight via Choice Air and the connecting Orbitz/Expedia etc. and misconnect you generally would have to buy new tickets and pay last minute prices to reach your final destination.

That adds even another layer of risk. If you have separate tickets for flights on the same day you are in trouble if your first leg is late causing you to misconnect. If you are flying on a single ticket the airline has to eventually get you to your destination at no additional charge to you. If you bought one flight via Choice Air and the connecting Orbitz/Expedia etc. and misconnect you generally would have to buy new tickets and pay last minute prices to reach your final destination.

After re-reading that sentence, I realized *I* knew what I meant, but no one else probably did! :o

If the transatlantic cruise is outbound from the US, I have found I can get a much better fare booking Podunk to FLL/MIA on my own, and using Choice Air for the ENTIRE (long) return trip from Europe.

If it's an inbound cruise, I will use Choice Air for the ENTIRE outbound air itinerary, and find my own short domestic flight back from FLL/MIA.

Not sure why it works that way but it has on each of the four T/A cruises that I have used Choice Air for. The one time I did NOT use Choice Air, I still got a pretty reasonable return flight from Barcelona to JFK on Aer Lingus.

I fully understand your advice to people to be knowledgeable about possible restrictions/differences on bulk-buy/group-rate tickets from C/A. However, I can pay for TWO 15 night cruises with the savings from ONE Choice Air booking.

I was stalking the 27 night Constellation B2B Istanbul/Rome/Florida cruise last fall and about had a heart attack when I checked Delta for a flight to IST.

They wanted $3,200pp for the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS that Choice Air was offering for $550pp

I have never had the opportunity to use C/A for R/T to Europe but others have said those fares are a little cheaper than regular, but no where NEAR as fantastic a deal as the one way T/A fares.

I have been called a liar on numerous occasions, by people who REFUSE to believe the dirt cheap cruise fares and air fares I can get, just by being flexible and doing a little shopping. :rolleyes:

I hope the folks with the funds, keep booking early and paying through the nose for their favorite Suites and CC/AQ cabins, that provide the insane profits to Celebrity, that allow me to cruise on the same ships/itineraries for $35-$45 per night. ;)

Same goes for the air fares. :cool:

Edited by teecee60

After re-reading that sentence, I realized *I* knew what I meant, but no one else probably did

For some reason I understood :p

If it was not for Choice Air , I would not done 3 TAs and book my 4th

On our next TA in April in an Oceanview cabin we are at $82 cdn pp ($74us) that includes everything taxes, tips, airfare but not hotel rooms

Pretty hard to that deal

Thank you Choice Air

I've had a somewhat opposite experience with ChoiceAir for first class travel, which is what we prefer. For my upcoming cruise I priced ChoiceAir from RDU to MIA on AA and they came up lower on economy seats, but were unable to match a restricted first class fare offered on AA.com, instead only offering unrestricted/refundable first class. I booked on AA.com.