Upsell fairy called...I laughed at her.

jetexpress

Got my first ever upsell call today. We are booked in a Category 8F Panorama Deck balcony for Glory on Feb 2nd. We were offered an ocean suite for $210 more per person. $420 total. Thanks, but no thanks!

Someone else in my category must have accepted her offer. All 8F's had been sold out until today, but, now showing availability.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You guys have to learn to make a counter-offer

to show themwhat the market will bear -and what it won't

Always make a counter-offer! Bargain with them! Can't hurt!

Have done it twice and they basically told me they dont do it that way

Have done it twice and they basically told me they dont do it that way

I agree with golfadj. I asked her if a Grand Suite was possible for $420 or would be willing for $300 for the Ocean Suite offer...she said $420 for Ocean Suite WAS a great deal and I was more than welcome to call back if I changed my mind. :rolleyes:

they won't accept a counter. I pushed pretty hard a year ago, was basically told he had an entire list in front of him and would work his way through it. He has a new price he's allowed to sell you the cabin for, the offer is the difference in what you paid.

Well I've been bummed out that I have missed two calls the past two days from Carnival. Sounds like, if it was an upsell call, they aren't offering any great shakes deals..Leaving on the 23rd of Feb so we'll see if they are persistent..my phone will be by my side now :D

Got my first ever upsell call today. We are booked in a Category 8F Panorama Deck balcony for Glory on Feb 2nd. We were offered an ocean suite for $210 more per person. $420 total. Thanks, but no thanks!

Someone else in my category must have accepted her offer. All 8F's had been sold out until today, but, now showing availability.

Good for you, not a very good $$$ difference IMO.

they won't accept a counter. I pushed pretty hard a year ago, was basically told he had an entire list in front of him and would work his way through it. He has a new price he's allowed to sell you the cabin for, the offer is the difference in what you paid.

Not surprised. I'm sure if he worked his way through the entire list without suckering someone (unlikely) they'd just lower the price a little and try again.

I wish they would entertain counteroffers as a consumer, but on the other hand I understand why they don't. They'd have to train their telephone personnel in negoations... set multiple prices for each room (offer this first, then X, bottom line is Y). It would just get too complicated for them.

they won't accept a counter.

I pushed pretty hard a year ago, was basically told he had an entire list in front of him and would work his way through it.

He has a new price he's allowed to sell you the cabin for, the offer is the difference in what you paid.

I know that but nevertheless it's good for them to see that there are people out there willing to take control out of their hands.

Of course the Carnival person on the phone to you has zero authority to bargain with you, but I like yanking chains. :)

Call for a supervisor and bargain with him, instead,

and if he has no authority, ask for his Boss and bargain with him.

Don't be afraid to yank their chain,

but also be prepared to stay put exactly where you are with your current booking.

It's a game I like to play.

Remember that YOU ARE THE ONE with the money,

even if they are the ones with the ship.

Carnival needs your money.

You don't need their "better" cabin. That's why they called you!

We cruise this Monday on the Triumph. Our FB group has about 100 people and several reported getting calls from the upSELL fairy a couple of days ago. It was interesting to monitor the rates and availability on carnival.com. Went from all room types available to no suites available, to no balconies, to now only insides left as they moved people up. No one reported (or admitted) to getting a free upgrade, usually just the difference between what they paid and what the current booking price was minus a few bucks.

I wouldnt have taken that deal either. I literally Just got a call from carnival thinking it was an upsell call but they just asked me if I have any questions about my upcoming sailing in february :confused: This is my 6th carnival cruise in the past 4 years. I think I have the system down by now :D

Edited by lukeduke07

we are on the same cruise, I would of turned it down too

$400 thats a lot of DOD's..lol

I've gotten calls from Carnival the past three cruises. Naturally, I get excited, until I find out it's only to find out of I still need insurance, if I've printed the Edocs, and if I need any assistance. I tell them I'm Platinum and everything I need to do/print was done weeks before.

Please Carnival, call me and ask me if I want to move up to a Ocean Suite for no additional cost, it will be cruise #15 for me......

A friend of mine is sailing on the Breeze this coming Sunday, on Wednesday he got an offer to go from a cove balcony to a grand suite for $400. There were 4 people in the room so only $100/pp more so he took it.

I would have taken that offer myself if I had 4 in the room. The extra room in the GS for 4 people, will be very helpful.

Last year a few days before we cruised they called to offer me the grand suite. there was 4 of us booked in an ocean view on riviera (6a). They wanted $500 total. It was tempting as we had built up $220 OBC but my daughter was getting married on Saturday before we left on Monday and funds were running low. Instead we used the OBC to cover most of our tips.

By the way it was a 5 day on the Paradise.

Tried this last summer when we were offered an up sell from a 4K to a balcony room. They were having none of it.