How secure is the safe?

redhedgal

What's everyone's opinion on the stateroom safe? Is it secure enough to leave our cash in, or would that be foolish?

Very secure I have left over $15k in mine for a week. You need a magnetic card (not your cabin key) to lock and unlock it on most ships

The cabin key works fine, you just need to remember which one you used:).

I know it works ,just wouldn't use it for our safe. If it gets lost or stolen not only will someone have your room cabin key but your safe key as well

I have always left all of my valuables in there and consider them to be much safer there than anywhere else. I usually bring a good bit of cash for extra tips and for use in ports and I would be uncomfortable carrying the whole amount with me all the time.

I know it works ,just wouldn't use it for our safe. If it gets lost or stolen not only will someone have your room cabin key but your safe key as well

They would still need to know what cabin you were in and a quick call to guest services would deactivate the card. Each to his own but I don't like carrying a lot of things on the ship with me (I would not use a different card and then leave it in the cabin, I would have to carry it with me). Easier for me to just carry the one card that I would be carrying anyway.

Using the cabin key for the safe can demagnatize it and it won't open cabin door. That's why they tell you not to use it. No big deal, just get another if it happens, I guess.

If it could demagnatize a cabin key it could demagnatize any other card that was used. (I fail to see how it could happen, it's a reader just like you have in your door.)

As others have said, any card with a magnetic stripe on it will work. I usually take an old gift card that has no money left on it. There are lots of places in the cabin where you can hide it and not have to carry it with you. Just make sure you and your spouse (or cabin mate) both know where it's hidden.;)

Magic has the number pad to use a 4 digit code. I like that better than using a card.

We always put anything of value in the safe and have never had ant problems.

Whew! Good thing! Those ants can be a real pain sometimes.:rolleyes::D

I always use my driver license . I figure I have to have it on me in port to get back on ship anyway. So that way no worries about hiding somewhere its always on me. I usually put jewelry, money and passports in there. Have never had a problem.

Edited by caribnsnrklr

I think it is safe. We leave everything in there. Just use any card other then your S & S card. Anything with magnetic strip.

Hey Limoguy, Since you're sailing on the Splendor next week, you will have to use a number combination for your safe. They don't use the magnetic strips in the rooms on the Splendor. So you can start thinking of 4 number sequences besides 1,2,3,4 ;)

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

We use the safes for our valuables and we've only had one problem. The day of our wedding we went to get our jewelry out and the battery on the safe had died. They had to call the master-at-arms to verify we were the occupants of the cabin and open the safe. We then had to go through everything in the safe to verify it was all there while she changed the battery.

On one trip there were a large number of us so we carried hand held radios. I carried mine in the same pocket as my room key. It did not take long to figure out the radio was demagnetizing the room key. I think at that time you entered a code for the safe so it didn't create a problem.

I am too afraid that I'll leave something behind in the safe so I never use it. I do store my cash/valuables in a locked location that is known only to me. Just be sure to check the safe before you debark. Run your fingers under the little lip and remove the little piece of carpet too just incase anything worked it's way underneath. I always check the safe in the cabin when we board and almost always find something, keys, jewelry, charms, change.