Help me decide - princess versus Paul G Raddison cruises

astridwilson

I am debating a Radisson Paul Gauguin cruise versus a Princess cruise

The Princess is the Tahitian Princess and is a 10 day cruise for approximately $1900. This is a room with a Balcony.

Itinerary

1 & 2 Papeete

3 Huahine

4 & 6 At Sea

5 Rarotonga

7 Raiatea

8 & 9 Bora Bora

10 Moorea

The Radisson Paul Gauguin is a 7 day cruise for approximately $3,300.

This is a room with a Balcony.

Itinerary

1 Papeete, Tahiti

2 Raiatea

3 Taha'a Motu Mahana

4 & 5 Bora Bora

6 & 7 Moorea

So Princess has Huahine & Rarotonga and two days at sea.

Paul Gauguin has Taha'a Motu Mahana and an extra day in Moorea

PG has tips included. They equate to $200

PG has soda and water included and two bottles of alcohol and a wine at dinner. This equates to $300.00

So the approximate difference in price is $900 per person.

So is the Radisson Paul Gauguin really worth $1800 more???

I like the idea of a shorter cruise, because we plan to spend a few days before and after on one of the islands. The time for the PG coincide with our anniversary better, but I am still undecided about which cruise and if I even really want to do a cruise or just do the trip independent. Radisoon tells me the PG cruise is going up this week so book early. I am still a year out, hate to be penned in so early. What do you all think???? Help me decide.

1800. and 3 days less makes the cost per day, per person, a big factor for me. I always will take the 10 day trip on Princess. Furthermore I always do B2B on the TP for a nice long vacation at a great price per day, per person.

The PG does offer some better grade tours and has a sports platform on the stern.

John

For our trip next month, it was a no-brainer. We are spending 2 weeks in FP for less than we would have spent for a week on the PG--(We're doing a pre-stay at le Meridien).

We have always been happy cruising with Princess, and while I've heard the PG is spectacular, the difference in price is just too steep to justify.

Raddison may be $1800 dollars more but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they include all drinks including alcohol...which could even out the price pretty quickly. You still have the issue of 10 vs 7 days though. I think Raddison would be fun to try if you are also planning an additional hotel stay for a few days.

...and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they include all drinks including alcohol...which could even out the price pretty quickly.

Yes, the alcohol bill can definitely add up, however I don't think that all alcohol is free onboard... I think it is just wine with dinner (but I could be wrong!)

$1800 is a lot extra. We would go Princess and spend the money on drinks, excursions, and shopping. The service on these ships is way better than the service that we get at home so we love Princess and Royal Caribbean. There is no need for us to spend more for service. We enjoy what we currently cruise.

Radisson has a water sport deck and your fare includes anytime kayaking,snorkeling,wind surfing, and water skiing. There is an initial set up in your room of 2 bottles of alcohol, mixers, beer and soda. Wine is included with meals and great drinks in coconuts are free on their island bbq. There is usually an on board credit on cruises so your extra money paid goes farther than it looks.

For me - no brainer. Princess. The beauty of Tahiti is going to be off the ship and you are going to pretty much see the same things on either ship. Plus, I would rather have more time in Tahiti.

Though - I have not done either but would love to.

Hi..we have done this cruise..but we did it with Renaissance Cruises (it is the ship that Princess is using and renamed). The ten day cruises are great because you get to spend 2 days in many of the ports. And what has been mentioned in previous posts the difference in the amount from PG to TP will pay for several nights in a hotel there. Remember that the TP is a smaller ship than you would normally sail with Princess..and yes the PG is more upscale but are you going for that reason or for the cruise destination? The liquor/wine drinking would not be an asset for us as we are not drinkers...so that is an issue you would have to think about. Also since you are talking about 1 year away your deposit is refundable up until 90 days out, I think, and longer if you take the insurance...so maybe you should bit the bullet and make the reservation. Good luck with your choice!!!

My husband and I did the Paul Gauguin in 2003 and LOVED IT! We have been on 3 Princess cruises but, have not been to Tahati on Princess. Yes Paul Gauguin is more expensive but, the service is more individualized. for instance EVERY time you get up to go to the buffet when you return a waiter carries your plate back to your table and puts your napkin (linen of course) back on your lap. Also your cabin steward addresses you by name " Good morning Mr. and Mrs. so-and- so how are you this morning,is thier anything I can get for you" Regarding the alchol both people in the cabin fill out a request form before the cruise requesting which liquor and soda or juice they would like in thier room and it is there in your mini fridge when you arrive ( I got diet coke and Baliey Irish Cream and my husband got orange juice, coke and Captian Morgan's Spiced Rum) Lunch and dinner comes with house wines one red one white you can get more expensive wines for an extra charge. don't know the price we only drank house wines we are not the wine drinkers so house wine was fine for us. Also all the bottled water in your cabin and in coolers as you depart for your tours and all free. If you want to be really spoiled this is the cruise for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at both of these cruises and trying to decide which is better for snorkeling.

I loved snorkeling in Bora Bora at Club Med 30 years ago. The giant clams were fantastic.

If I go on the Tahiti Princess cruise how many stops have free beach destinations to snorkel? Or do I have to pay for expensive shore excursions just to snorkle. Does the Gaugin have good snorkeling at each stop and is it free in price and to just come and go at leaisure without a group playing follow the leader?

Also, I love to eat fresh seafood and fruit. How is the fresh food on the Princess.

Thanks.

Nancy

I'm not going to read the other replies, just tell you I vote for the PG.

The PG spends more time in the better ports.

The water platform off the back is AWESOME.

It's a great place to try the more upscale, always casual atmosphere to see how you like it compared to Princess.

7 days is a good amount of time down there.

I, obviously, don't have the PG in my signature, but I did the Wind Star small, more luxury than Princess, sailing ship there for my anniversary in 2003. From everything I read before and after, I'd say the PG was a very similar experience to my Wind Star, and for Tahiti I suggest PG.

You're welcome to read my Wind Star review, which I posted on CC, and it can also be found on my Website, which I'm not allowed to list here. ;)

I am looking at both of these cruises and trying to decide which is better for snorkeling.

I loved snorkeling in Bora Bora at Club Med 30 years ago. The giant clams were fantastic.

If I go on the Tahiti Princess cruise how many stops have free beach destinations to snorkel? Or do I have to pay for expensive shore excursions just to snorkle. Does the Gaugin have good snorkeling at each stop and is it free in price and to just come and go at leaisure without a group playing follow the leader?

Also, I love to eat fresh seafood and fruit. How is the fresh food on the Princess.

No free beach parties/snorkeling on Princess.

Bora Bora you could take a shuttle $3-$5? to a beach near a hotel. Snorkeling was not that great there. Have you been to the PG's website to see what they say is included? I would make a list of pros and cons of the ship and sailing you are going to do and then see which will please you more. We have been happy on the Tahitian and you can get a mini-suite with balcony for less than the P.G.'s reg. room. There is not a lot of fresh seafood on Princess, since almost everything comes from L.A. in Cargo containers.

The Tahitian is a better deal than actually staying on one island since hotels are expensive and so is the food.

Last October on the TP, I rode the supply tender back to the ship and it was loaded with whole freshly caught yellowfing tuna in the 80-120lb class, a pile of parrotfish that are served locally, and a pile of who knows what they were. Moorea is known for their great pinapples and watermelons, but I do not know if the TP gets any their.

John

When this thread started, I definitely said to myself, "No brainer - three extra days and $1800 cheaper. However, as I read all the posts and gave it more thought, I agree with those who recommended the upscale PG. Apparently, money is not a factor and you want to spend a few days at one of the islands. You only live once - Go for the upscale.

Having said all that - you can't go wrong either way. Let us know what you decide.

I looked into this several months ago and there were a lot of complaints about the Paul Gaugin. Grand Circle now owns this ship and Radisson leases the ship from Grand Circle. From what I have read, the beloved Capt on the Paul Gaugin had to leave and the Grand Circle was having more influence on how the ship was being run and Radisson had little input into this. People were not that happy. I would not pay $1800 more to have a little more service. The service provided on Princesses small ships is excellent and any more then that would be intruding in my opinion. Free liquor would not add up to $1800 and I agree with the comment that one goes to Tahiti for Tahiti, the ship is just extra. I wouldn't pay $1800 to see the same scenary if I can spend less and see the same thing.

We've been to Tahiti twice, once on Renaissance R-3 (now Pacific Princess), and once on Tahitian Princess. Essentially they are duplicates of each other. We loved both and the itineary can't be beat. With the 10 day cruise you are spending overnights or parts of two days at two ports (Huhiane and Bora Bora?) which is great. Food on Tahitian Princess essentially duplicates the menus of any other Princess ship and service was wonderful. You definitely want a balcony cabin. In fact, for the difference in price with Raddison, you could afford a mini-suite which is quite large on Tahitian Princess.

Also double check Radisson. It's been announced that Paul Gaugin is leaving the Raddison fleet as it doesn't have the numerous balcony profile of all of their other ships. I don't have the final dates of sailing for her.

Archived