? - Doubletree Westminster - walking distance

We're staying at the Doubletree Westminster later in the year. On their website, they post the distance to various places of interest. For instance, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament are .10 of a mile from the hotel. Is that accurate? A couple in our group are not able to do a lot of walking but we figure they could walk .10 mile there and, we're assuming, one of the HO/HO buses would have a stop in that area. Thanks.

I'm afraid the distances quoted on their map are a complete nonsense.

The nearest sight is the Tate Gallery, at 1/3rd of a mile.

Parliament Square (Houses of Parliament/Big Ben & Westminster Abbey) is a half a mile - a ten to fifteen minute walk.

This is also where you'll find the nearest ho-ho stop & tube station. though there'll be regular bus routes close to the hotel.

(Edit: a ho-ho stop marginally closer (0.4 mile) on the other side of Lambeth Bridge.)

From Parliament Square, Whitehall runs for a further half-mile - past Churchill War Rooms, Downing Street, Horse Guards Parade etc to Trafalgar Square.

Or from Parliament Square across Westminster Bridge to the London Eye, also half-a-mile.

Buckingham Palace is also a mile from the hotel.

The hotel is very popular amongst American cruisers, seen many compliments about it on this forum.:)

But sorry to say it's far from ideal for anyone with walking difficulties. :(

London's sights are quite well spread, so no hotel can have a perfect location.

But you need one close to a tube station & ho-ho route.

http://eng.bigbustours.com/UploadedFiles/London_Map_Jan_14_201401083531.pdf

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Agree with John Bull, this is NOT an ideally located one.

Decide what is important to you and stay somewhere like Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square where underground stops (3 of them) are a block walk.The HOHO bus starts around the corner.The National Gallery, Portrait Gallery, most of the theaters, Soho,Covent Garden and China town are just a stone's throw.

After 37 stays in London we learned convince beats price when it comes to convenience.

Thanks so much for the info. I think this location will be OK. I was just trying to get an idea of how far we'd have to walk to get to a HO/HO stop. My husband and I have been to London before but our traveling companions haven't. I read the distance on the website for the hotel and thought that didn't seem correct -- maybe as the crow flies. I got out my Rick Steve's London book and checked the map and it just seemed that it would be a longer walk than the impression I got from the website. I think my friends will be OK to walk a mile or so. Thank you for the information.

Twickenham (a few posts before this one) probably was referring to the #88 bus, which stops at Marsham Street near the intersection with Page Street--just around the corner from the Westminster Doubletree--and also just behind the Tate Britain on John Islip Street. The route runs via Westminster Abbey/ Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square, Oxford Circus, and up past Regent's Park, so is fairly convenient for the visitor staying at the Westminster Doubletree who wishes to see some of the major sights in central London.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP12P1__00006018.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/westminster-a4.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/central-london-bus-map.pdf

One way to check distances is to use Google Earth. Click on the little ruler at the top of the page. Find where you want to start - click on it - then a line will appear as you move the mouse pointer to where you want to go. You can do ether a straight line or a multi point to go around corners and actually follow the street. It may not be exact but it's probably pretty close and will give you an idea.

Twickenham (a few posts before this one) probably was referring to the #88 bus, which stops at Marsham Street near the intersection with Page Street

Or possibly Twickenham meant the 87, which stops on Millbank (more of a 'main road' than Marsham Street) and goes straight up past the Abbey and Houses of Parliament on St Margaret Street.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle