Proof of citizenship crisis!

Fivehole

Two weeks prior to the cruise is a whole different story than 1/2 a business day prior to the cruise. Two weeks out there are lots of things that can be done...as you noted. But 1/2 a day out there is almost nothing that can be done other than the small chance of getting a new BC.

You were answering a specific question about a cruiser who didn't have proper documents 1/2 a business day prior to the embarkation date, not posting on a general discussion of how to handle problems with a late arriving passport. If you want to be most helpful direct your advice to the only real potential solution for that particular problem given that the window for solving the problem was only a few hours. The only possible solution was the last thing you mentioned. They could have easily wasted time on the others before trying the only possible solution.

Well, God forbid they would waste 5 minutes on a phone call!:rolleyes:.

...it MAY not help the OP, but someone out there may benefit from it. Most of the info I see on Cruise Critic does not apply to any situation I have or have had, but I file what I learn away for future reference....

The plains of Bagan in what once was called Burma used to be called the plains of Pagan.

Quite a few contributors seem to be giving responses which do not remotely answer the OP's questions. The idea that this doesn't matter -- the info can be useful to someone else -- doesn't in general make a lot of sense to me, or at least not a lot more than the info I just gave above about one of the more interesting sites in southeast Asia.

On the other hand, I am also certainly guilty of diverging from time to time from the issues raised by an OP. However, I should at least make it clear that the comments being offered may not help OP, but ............

The plains of Bagan in what once was called Burma used to be called the plains of Pagan.

Quite a few contributors seem to be giving responses which do not remotely answer the OP's questions. The idea that this doesn't matter -- the info can be useful to someone else -- doesn't in general make a lot of sense to me, or at least not a lot more than the info I just gave above about one of the more interesting sites in southeast Asia.

On the other hand, I am also certainly guilty of diverging from time to time from the issues raised by an OP. However, I should at least make it clear that the comments being offered may not help OP, but ............

I disagree. While it's true that many of the suggestions in this thread may not help the OP, there are also plenty of people who read threads like this one for future reference (me, for instance). For that reason, it can be very helpful.

It comes in a plain, relatively nondescript manilla envelope, regular snail-mail. Your POC documents are returned in a separate mailing; a white envelope and usually arrive a few days prior to the passport.

Exactly right, this how we received ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The fact that they don't have the passport pretty much implies that they didn't send for it in time. Doesn't matter when -- it wasn't it in time. You said their problem was caused by not receiving the passport in time. I assert that the root cause of their problem is not sending for it in time.

We have no way of knowing if it wasn't sent for in a timely manner or if the processing was taking longer than usual, which can happen, :rolleyes:

Edited by NMLady

Also, you can't get a passport without proof of citizenship and this person's birth certificate is somewhere...but not in his possession, so there's no way the passport office, even if it were open, could help him.

There is no point to calling about something that can't be done. Calling within 7 days prior to your travel is a lot different than calling 3 hours before the office closes.

On a Friday afternoon, i agree it is unlikely that anything can be done.

What I am *disagreeing* with you on is that the OP is out of luck just because he sent his birth certificate in and doesn't have it. The passport office HAS A PROCESS for exactly this situation, which can be called on if you don't have your new passport YET and you're within 7 days of travel. YOU don't have to have it in your possession if the Passport Office can confirm that they have it in their system somewhere.

I don't want someone else to think they are totally out of options in a situation like this.

Just a thought... You would think someone in the military would have a current passport as they usually have to fly to where there deployed. Anyone?

The military ID when coupled with military orders may be used in lieu of a passport, but not as a stand alone documents.

Just a thought... You would think someone in the military would have a current passport as they usually have to fly to where there deployed. Anyone?

Well, my father, who was career Air Force, always made sure we all had one, because he wanted to be ready to be stationed overseas (with us along) at a moment's notice. I have had one 43 years now...

My husband, who was in the Air Force when we married, never bothered, and almost missed our daughter's graduation cruise because he didn't even have a certified copy of his birth certificate. Apparently when he flew overseas he never left his mission so never needed one...

You would think a current military ID would be sufficient...but 9/11 changed a lot of things.

Well, my father, who was career Air Force, always made sure we all had one, because he wanted to be ready to be stationed overseas (with us along) at a moment's notice. I have had one 43 years now...

My husband, who was in the Air Force when we married, never bothered, and almost missed our daughter's graduation cruise because he didn't even have a certified copy of his birth certificate. Apparently when he flew overseas he never left his mission so never needed one...

You would think a current military ID would be sufficient...but 9/11 changed a lot of things.

Yes, you would think so. I hope that NCL is kind to this guy considering he is US Military and perhaps lets them cancel with a credit for another cruise after he gets his passport. Big thanks to your dad and husband for their service to this country...

You can check the status of your passport application here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/application-status.html

It is right now telling me that my passport renewal is in the final stages of processing and that *I* should *receive* it on or about January 29. I sent this in just before Christmas. Their published estimate for my type of request was 4 to 6 weeks, so they're running on schedule.

The OP is in a tough position that I hope no one else ever finds themselves in. But if you are worried about your passport application, you can find out real info without having to call anyone.

On a Friday afternoon, i agree it is unlikely that anything can be done.

What I am *disagreeing* with you on is that the OP is out of luck just because he sent his birth certificate in and doesn't have it. The passport office HAS A PROCESS for exactly this situation, which can be called on if you don't have your new passport YET and you're within 7 days of travel. YOU don't have to have it in your possession if the Passport Office can confirm that they have it in their system somewhere.

I don't want someone else to think they are totally out of options in a situation like this.

Absolutely untrue for flying.. Maybe a cruise line would take some type of confirmation from the passport office, but I have personally witnessed several occasions where the passport office says, "its being processed" and they have had to miss there trip because they dont have it in there hot little hands..

Absolutely untrue for flying.. Maybe a cruise line would take some type of confirmation from the passport office, but I have personally witnessed several occasions where the passport office says, "its being processed" and they have had to miss there trip because they dont have it in there hot little hands..

This is where the passport office comes in. If you can go to one of the 25 passport offices, they can confirm that they have your documentation and make a passport in a single day. Anyone in this situation ought to call the number and find out what their options are before assuming that their vacation is ruined just because their paperwork is in process.

Today I can deposit a check using my smartphone. There are ways of confirming paperwork without the actual PAPER. People shouldn't give up.

You can check the status of your passport application here: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/application-status.html

It is right now telling me that my passport renewal is in the final stages of processing and that *I* should *receive* it on or about January 29. I sent this in just before Christmas. Their published estimate for my type of request was 4 to 6 weeks, so they're running on schedule.

The OP is in a tough position that I hope no one else ever finds themselves in. But if you are worried about your passport application, you can find out real info without having to call anyone.

Your link is useful. But I may have done something wrong as I did not receive any info after my email was registered. Does someone get back to you by email?

Thanks!:)

Your link is useful. But I may have done something wrong as I did not receive any info after my email was registered. Does someone get back to you by email?

Thanks!:)

I gave them my email before they had officially received the applicaiton. They sent me an email when they received it and assigned it a processing number, but that's the last I've heard from them. The status online has changed from "we don't have it yet" to "in the last stages" in the time I've been checking.

Hopefully it will arrive next week, which will be in plenty of time for my cruise.

I gave them my email before they had officially received the applicaiton. They sent me an email when they received it and assigned it a processing number, but that's the last I've heard from them. The status online has changed from "we don't have it yet" to "in the last stages" in the time I've been checking.

Hopefully it will arrive next week, which will be in plenty of time for my cruise.

OK thanks for your help.

My renewal has been received and should be in process because my check has cleared.

Normally, a Red Military is issued only for special occasions (I needed one for a 2 month TDY to Egypt). Also a Red military passport cannot be used for civilian travel. For most normal military travel, your travel orders with your military ID is all that is needed. I never needed (or could have used) a Blue civilian passport for military travel.

Normally, a Red Military is issued only for special occasions (I needed one for a 2 month TDY to Egypt). Also a Red military passport cannot be used for civilian travel. For most normal military travel, your travel orders with your military ID is all that is needed. I never needed (or could have used) a Blue civilian passport for military travel.

Out to Sea, Thanks for your answer and thanks so much for your service to the USA. I appreciate you!

IIRC a red passport is issued to any member of the government traveling on government business. I was always onboard ship (or flying to meet up with) and never needed either type of passport. I can no longer remember the rule but as long as we stayed within a certain distance of the port our ID was sufficient under the status of forces agreements in place.

Thanks to everyone who responded - lots of good information here for future!

After an exhaustive search and driving hours and hours back home, they were able to locate additional copies of both birth certs (not sure if they have raised seal or not, but hopefully whatever they found, in conjunction with military ID, will be acceptable). At last report they were "racing" across the southern states en route to the port, so looks like they will be okay.

Again, thank you all!