Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Thanks for your input. It taking a probiotic supplement similar to just increasing yogurt intake as well?

As far as fermentation, what are the health benefits of that?

I've never had norovirus, and I tend to stay well while others get sick. I don't bathe in sanitizers but I do keep clean. I believe in letting your body be strong to fight viruses.

The problem with yogurt is that most have way too much sugar.

Fermented foods are loaded up with good bacteria which helps with digestion and well being.

I also don't load up on sanitizers and don't even have anti-bacterial hand soap in my home. Good old hand washing with regular soap is good enough for me.

In the last 10 CDC inspections of the ship, the lowest score it's gotten is a 94.

I assume 94 is a good enough score? Again this cruise in particular is being forced to abort. The pax deserve a refund in full. What is taking them so long to offer it?

The problem with yogurt is that most have way too much sugar.

Fermented foods are loaded up with good bacteria which helps with digestion and well being.

I also don't load up on sanitizers and don't even have anti-bacterial hand soap in my home. Good old hand washing with regular soap is good enough for me.

Same at my house. I also keep windows open whenever possible in winter to air out. Little if any illness here. Usually just a cold or 2 between all of us

I asked a simple direct question regarding the possibility of how passengers could have come in contact with Noro. Perhaps this was spread by the crew, how is this offensive or inaccurate?

Certainly not offensive.:rolleyes: I used to work med/surg as a case manager so I always knew who and what ship the crew member was in order to arrange discharge planning. You would be shocked at the number of crew who had multiple issues including Noro and with the exception of one, all returned to their ship...Hep A was very common.

My sister just texted me that tonight they are telling them, they are being reimbursed for half of their cruise.. but she thinks that will mean the OBC will go away.

progress.gif

Well that is a step in the right direction. 75% is fairer though. Sign and sail accts can't be that high for most pax and if they had drinks they should pay for them anyway or had pix they want to buy and were there even any excursions? Tips are of course are going to be an issue to some of course

What are some good ways to start to fortify your own immune system say 7 to 10 days BEFORE even traveling? Vitamins? More rest? That's common sense I guess, but other than maintaining personal hygiene to prevent from getting it, what's some good ways to let your body fight it as well.

My family has been very lucky with a simple daily chewable gummy adult strength multi vitamin and a vitamin c chewy vitamin. Year round

Perhaps the cruise line doesn't agree with you. :rolleyes:

Actually go back a few posts it seems they are changing their tune. 50% refund at this point

Fwiw please don't argue with me because it is more than obvious that the initial offer was in essence no offer at all

You must have some sort of dog in this race for you to not realize that the initial offer was inadequate

Edited by Crusin6

What is the drop dead date to cancel a direct booked RCL cruise and get 100% back?

I want to see more than RCL's cryptic note about EOS on the homepage now as a guideline if we want to continue or cancel.

They originally were to upgrade the ship this winter and we would have been one of the first to go out in a refurbished ship. However, RCL decided to delay the makeover.

you do understand that even if you went on the new Quantums 1st sailing that you could get Noro? the ship does not make the people sick...hee people make the ship sick.

I was on that Crown Princess Noro Cruise to Nowhere too. There were at least 300 infected, and they had almost as many the previous week. We knew about this prior to boarding, and had to sit in the convention center all day while they "cleaned" the ship. We were given a full refund of the cruise, and they also paid for people to get back home. My husband was feeling better by the time we were back in Ft Lauderdale, so we chose to just keep our original flight home, and stayed a few days in Ft Laud. Princess also offered us a discount for a future cruise, but we decided not to take it. I believe it was something like 10-25% off of the same category you had for the same cruise. I hope that Royal Caribbean will also be giving some sort of refund to the Explorer passengers. 600 people sick is a lot! Everything changes on the ship too, even for people who aren't sick...so definitely not the same cruise people would be expecting. Everyone needs to wash their hands, and not touch much! All of the time, not just when the noro breaks out somewhere.

I was trying to remember how many we had so I went out to the CDC site and we actually had about 350 sick including the crew. The previous week was about the same but the difference between weeks was the crew numbers escalated significantly on our cruise which is why I think the CDC acted so quickly and cancelled the cruise sending us back to Port Everglades. It was always my thought that Princess was pretty generous with reimbursement because in afterthought maybe they thought they should not have sailed that second week. (but would obviously never admit it) I remember that entire day in the convention center probably just made matters worse. We were all crammed in there for hours and didn't get on the ship until close to 8:00pm if my memory serves me right.

Other than getting our cruise fare refunded, the additional future cruise credit actually was 25% of the current cruise fare toward a future cruise. I think you had to use it within a year? Can't remember exactly. I also thought the Captain handled things well and was very forthcoming with information with frequent updates on ship. There were about 700 of us doing B2B and they bused us to Orlando and put us up in the Grand Hyatt and one other resort that I don't remember. I thought they did about everything they could under the circumstances and I hope rccl ultimately responds the same for their customers.

Seems like every ship I sail on turns doomed in the future...

Celebrity Horizon (Now renamed and sailing in a 3rd world country)

Carnival Triumph

Explorer Of The Seas

BEWARE of NCL Breakaway, I was just on that one!

Wonder if the news will be waiting in Bayonne, NJ to catch the ship sailing in and docking so they can get reactions from people onboard...The news eats that stuff up!

Actually go back a few posts it seems they are changing their tune. 50% refund at this point

Fwiw please don't argue with me because it is more than obvious that the initial offer was in essence no offer at all

You must have some sort of dog in this race for you to not realize that the initial offer was inadequate

I wasn't referring to the initial offer. I was referring to your statement that "The pax deserve a refund in full." As I said, the cruise line does not agree with that opinion.

Francis, thank you so much for posting. I am glad that you are feeling better. And congratulations on not passing it on to your DW! :) ;)

We are all very interested in how everyone is doing, what the "atmosphere" on the ship is like now, and whatever they tell you.

[This is the first I have been able to get internet access again. It is now free so the system is saturated. I am typing this during mealtime si it isn’t bad. I haven’t been out much, so minimal ineraction with others. DW was out and I will try to get her to post.

I am sure the additional compensation packages have been announced on the media. The initial package has been expanded considerably. It was announced by the captain during dinner , and there applause by the whole audience when the 50% refund was announced.

I also understand the B2B guests will be given hotel rooms and the option to leave belongings’ onboard. Hopefully we will get new seapass cards before we leave. My GPS is calculating ETA at Bayonne about noon Wednesday.

Francis

Edited by mo&fran

I just got this email from someone on the Explorer. She wrote it last night. Sounds dreadful to me.

The Captain cancelled the welcome back reception for tonite. There are over 200 who reported so far with the noro virus symptoms. We are not stopping at "Labadee" but continuing on to San Jaun. Will get there ard 8 pm and stay there til 10 pm the next day. The tables in the dining room were very sparse with diners.

Three at our table have it. They are offering free consultation at the medical office if you are sick. The pool deck is open today. The promenade is empty. Pushing the hand washing and the "washy-washy". Took the salt and pepper off the tables. Using paper packets. Serving food from the wind jammer - no self self. Doing a lot of cleaning and disinfecting. Hopefully they get it contained.

It happens everywhere this time of year, ships, nursing homes, colleges, high school cafeterias, on and on. We had it 2 years ago on a carnival cruise. Suffered for two days and then back into the cruising mode. Use the anti-bacteria dispensers AFTER you handle the buffet utensils, prior to eating. Better yet, go the the bathroom and wash your hands. In your cabin, spray all door handles, tv remotes, toilet handles, blah, blah, blah. You get it. Enjoy your cruise. And bring a good book to read if you are down and out for a day or two.

Seems like every ship I sail on turns doomed in the future...

Celebrity Horizon (Now renamed and sailing in a 3rd world country)

Carnival Triumph

Explorer Of The Seas

BEWARE of NCL Breakaway, I was just on that one!

Wonder if the news will be waiting in Bayonne, NJ to catch the ship sailing in and docking so they can get reactions from people onboard...The news eats that stuff up!

Of course the news loves to bash cruising! I was watching the 5oclock news on NBC tonight and they interviewed a couple who sailed last week on the explorer who just ripped apart the ship and the crew. Their claims had nothing even to do with getting sick or the outbreak. Then the reporter was speaking to a woman currently on the explorer and the passenger was upset about missing a shore excursion or something like that. They would never interview anyone who would commend the crew for all their efforts or someone who would comment on what a beautiful ship it is and how their vacation was great up until everyone got sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is probably not a case of "changing their tune". Rather a case of adjusting their offer to reflect the situation as it developed. Initial estimates of the number of infected passengers was much lower than the most recent report. Expecting any line to have a ready solution to a problem before its full extent is known is totally unrealistic. Perhaps it would be best to wait until a final assessment has been made and an offer of compensation provided before criticizing the situation and RCI's response.

[This is the first I have been able to get internet access again. It is now free so the system is saturated. I am typing this during mealtime si it isn’t bad. I haven’t been out much, so minimal ineraction with others. DW was out and I will try to get her to post.

I am sure the additional compensation packages have been announced on the media. The initial package has been expanded considerably. It was announced by the captain during dinner , and there applause by the whole audience when the 50% refund was announced.

I also understand the B2B guests will be given hotel rooms and the option to leave belongings’ onboard. Hopefully we will get new seapass cards before we leave. My GPS is calculating ETA at Bayonne about noon Wednesday.

Francis

Thanks again.

I am very pleased to read that the Explorer should be getting into port earlier. There has been much angst here about people who cannot drive at night. ;)

It is probably not a case of "changing their tune". Rather a case of adjusting their offer to reflect the situation as it developed. Initial estimates of the number of infected passengers was much lower than the most recent report. Expecting any line to have a ready solution to a problem before its full extent is known is totally unrealistic. Perhaps it would be best to wait until a final assessment has been made and an offer of compensation provided before criticizing the situation and RCI's response.

My initial opinion was based solely on the fact that the cruise was in essence cancelled and the initial compensation benefited the cruise line more than the pax. It is hard to argue that this cruise wasn't cancelled. and yes their initial offer deserved criticism

I still think 75% refund is more appropriate and i suppose the pax should just pay the sign and sail. Tips are another issue but based on experience cruise lines have been known to offer consideration in that aspect as well

This is not about defending or criticizing rccl although I know that is how it may appear. But essentially this cruise was cancelled midway and ordered by the CDC to go home.

Seriously what exactly should the pax have to absorb? The ship is crippled plain and simple. This is just an unfortunate situation that crippled the ship

The ship needs to insure themselves against this sort if thing and I am sure they do be it self Insurance or outside insurance

Again it is tough to argue against the simple fact that the ship is crippled and this cruise has been cancelled

Thanks again.

I am very pleased to read that the Explorer should be getting into port earlier. There has been much angst here about people who cannot drive at night. ;)

Have you ever tried driving in that part if jersey during rush hour? I am not old but I would do my best to a avoid it.

I wasn't referring to the initial offer. I was referring to your statement that "The pax deserve a refund in full." As I said, the cruise line does not agree with that opinion.

I think that you are correct in your statement, and the reason that Royal Caribbean won't give more, and if you look at what they have done in the past, means that they would rather have new, first time passengers, and they work at that promotion.

They will lose some present cruisers, if their attitude stays as it is.

Mr. Arison was too busy watching his basketball team to tend to business when the Costa Concordia listed on rocks and almost sank. He no longer is in charge of Carnival.

Mr. Goldstein only looks at the bottom line, which is to win, just like he does when playing ping pong. He only plays to win.

When looking at the whole fleet, one ship that has a problem, will be glossed over with advertising, and, in time, very few will remember this sad situation, and what a dispicable job that Royal Caribbean did to right it.

You are so correct in your statement "the cruise line does not agree with that opinion."

Rick

I think that you are correct in your statement, and the reason that Royal Caribbean won't give more, and if you look at what they have done in the past, means that they would rather have new, first time passengers, and they work at that promotion.

They will lose some present cruisers, if their attitude stays as it is.

Mr. Arison was too busy watching his basketball team to tend to business when the Costa Concordia listed on rocks and almost sank. He no longer is in charge of Carnival.

Mr. Goldstein only looks at the bottom line, which is to win, just like he does when playing ping pong. He only plays to win.

When looking at the whole fleet, one ship that has a problem, will be glossed over with advertising, and, in time, very few will remember this sad situation, and what a dispicable job that Royal Caribbean did to right it.

You are so correct in your statement "the cruise line does not agree with that opinion."

Rick

But as expected they did up the offer. It is the same old game anyway you slice it. Play it close to the vest and don't show all your cards

I know how this all works but as I have posted previously the cruise was essentially cancelled

Regardless the real issue will be the pax forced off the ship with no place to stay for 2 nights. I really hope they are aware of the pax that will be hotel less during this week before the Super Bowl. And lets hope the vast majority of pax are from the tri state area and can just go home by car.

And yes I was caught up in a cruise from hell only it was extended and the port we were to return to was destroyed.

Not pretty no need to rehash it but I will

Disney did right by the pax as we had 3 extra wonderful sun filled days with extra ports added we were of course on our own regarding airfare back but JetBlue believe it or not outdid themselves with superior service in that regard

Fwiw we were one of 20 ships affected by hurricaine Frances and the rumor on board was that rccl actually charged their pax for the 3 extra days they had added to their cruise. Again just a rumor but that is what we heard

Edited by Crusin6

you do understand that even if you went on the new Quantums 1st sailing that you could get Noro? the ship does not make the people sick...hee people make the ship sick.

Sad to hear, it's an awful way for a vacation to turn out. Not sure any offer of compensation will make it right for those experiencing this, although the initial offer seemed to trivialize the issue imo. However, I don't think it's fair to necessarily blame the cruise line. This bug could've been brought aboard by a guest, crew or even been lurking somewhere out of the mainstream on the ship, since the virus can last for at least a month.

According to today's ABC nightly news, the source of the outbreak could even be placed upon a fish intended for dinner! Along with the unfortunate person who ingested said contaminated fish, any employee that came into contact could become infected (waiter, cooks, even the person who changes the ice in which the fish is stored).