Great Stirrup Cay Question

gmhohio

I last visited Great Stirrup Cay (GSC) in late 2010 . At that time I found that the island was quite crowded and did not have even close to enough seating for everyone on the ship (Jewel). I also found they had few activities available on the island as well.

I am booked on an MSC cruise in May which visits GSC and was wondering if NCL had made many changes to the island in the last three or so years? If I was not amused in 2010, will I continue to be unamused in 2014?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Most folks stop at the 1st beach they come to, so it's VERY crowded....did you do that? There are more beach areas and PLENTY of loungers all over the entire area.

Can't help with activities...we use these stops as a beach day....read, swim, eat, relax!

You do know that you don't HAVE to get off the ship! The pool will be almost empty on port days, if you decide to stay on the ship.

Thanks cb at sea,

I greatly appreciate your response. Yes, back in 2010 I crossed the bridge and took a walk and enjoyed the less crowded parts of the island. I had read several reviews from different sources talking about construction on GSC and was curious as to what changes had been brought by the construction.

I was also wondering if I should sign up for one of the available activities on the island or choose to stay on board the ship and perhaps avail myself to the ship's facilities.

Thanks again for your response.

• 1 month later...
I will be able to update you on this after we're there Feb 5th!

Hi ChimiChanga, Hope you had a great cruise! How was your experience at GSC?

Sent from my warped mind using an alien technologically enhanced device.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks! I was at GSC a couple days ago. OMG, what a big change in the island since 2010! Everything has changed including where the tenders dock.

The beach are has grown at least four-fold and there were no shortage of chaise lounges for the 3500 passengers on my ship. At the far end of the island they have also created a lagoon, which is beautiful. There were a number of pay activities which one could indulge other than the hippo slide this time. By the changes I saw the other day, it is clear NCL has dumped a ton of money into the island, which has been money well spent IMHO. GCS, sorry for my original doubts.

Sent from my warped mind using an alien technologically enhanced device.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gmhohio (Gregg) Hi thanks for your update on GSC. I too was there in 2012 and not overly impressed. Not terrible-- but just seemed too crowded together with all the chairs stacked right on top of each other. Have they improved that some?

What is your recommendation for where to sit? I know last time I was there most just stayed on the first beach we came to. I'm hoping they have spread it out and added more beachfront areas.

Did you notice if there was any improvements on shade area? I'm travle with my senior parents this time so am hoping for some shade.

Thanks for any info!