Low key day in Cozumel

scoutandbunji

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts 20kies. Yes, as I mentioned we are on the Sunshine and I understand the Magic will be there also that day. So hopefully Punta Maya is where we will be. Can't find any labels that say Punta Maya, but assume that of the four docks/piers there it might be the first one.

Not sure which will be easier - for us to go to town to meet the ferry, or have them find us at the ship. Suggestions?

I'm leaning to have them come see us rather than us trying to hail a cab to go there when over 4,000 people will be trying to do the same thing ( both ships dock around the same time). It might be quicker for them to hail a taxi to where we are. :D

I guess it will depend on what your plans are for the day. If you want to go to town and shop for the day, then you should get the cab and go to town and meet your friends at the ferry. If you want to go to a beach, then they could catch a cab to Puerta Maya pier and meet you there at the entrance. From there you could take a taxi to a beach.

You won't have any problem getting a cab at the pier. It is very organized. The cabs are lined up as you walk towards the street. While you are still in the Puerta Maya area there will be cab guys there asking where you want to go, and getting a cab for you. We have never had to wait, and we have had 2 ships there every time.

Edited by 2Okies

I have gathered some good information here, and as I said, I really liked your pictures. My question were the pictures taken in the "old downtown" area that was mentioned? If that is the case, is old downtown in Punta Langosta?

You said if we docked at Puerta Maya or International Pier, we would have to take a Taxi. Do you mean if we docked at one of these areas, the Taxi would take us to where you took your pictures?

I'm sorry this is confusing,:( but I would like to see the area where you took your pictures.

I have gathered some good information here, and as I said, I really liked your pictures. My question were the pictures taken in the "old downtown" area that was mentioned? If that is the case, is old downtown in Punta Langosta?

You said if we docked at Puerta Maya or International Pier, we would have to take a Taxi. Do you mean if we docked at one of these areas, the Taxi would take us to where you took your pictures?

I'm sorry this is confusing,:( but I would like to see the area where you took your pictures.

Punta Langosta Pier is in town. I'm guessing that is what you're refering to as the old downtown. There is only one downtown San Miguel (that's the name of the town). The Punta Langosta Pier and the Ferry pier are both in San Miguel (in town). The other two piers , International Pier and Puerta Maya are both about 2 miles south of town. These two piers are almost right next to each other. They both have their own little shopping centers at the base of the piers. The two mile walk between the two south piers and downtown San Miguel is a pleasant walk with sidewalks all the say (if I remember correctly). It can be a hot walk on a sunny day, but there are a few places to stop along the way to have a drink or something to eat. The photos you've seen is from this walk between downtown San Miguel and the south cruise ship piers. (that two mile walk). Most people do not walk, as it's only a couple $$ cab ride. I've walked it myself, but now usually cab to town and back. If you are lucky, you will be docked at Punta Langosta and already be right in town. (If that's where you want to be).

The beach clubs are farther south of the south piers, so the cab ride from town is a little more than from the south piers.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Thank you for getting back with me. I just found out that we will be docking at International Pier.

Sorry about questions, but were the pictures taken at San Mieguel? If I am understanding this right, since we will be docking at International Pier, we can either walk or taking a Taxi there?

Thank you for getting back with me. I just found out that we will be docking at International Pier.

Sorry about questions, but were the pictures taken at San Mieguel? If I am understanding this right, since we will be docking at International Pier, we can either walk or taking a Taxi there?

Those photos were taken mostly between San Miguel and the International pier (I believe, Okie can answer that better).

You can walk to town (about 2 miles) or you can take a taxi. Your choice. The walk is right along the ocean the whole way, so there is some nice scenery. You'll walk past many hotels, a few shops, a lot of vacant lots, etc. When you get within a half mile of downtown you'll start to hit Margaritaville, then Punta Langosta pier where you'll see hooters and Charlos & Charlies, etc. Keep walking a few more blocks to the town square. There you will be downtown. (This is also where the Ferry from the mainland docks).

If you have a lot of time and want to walk, it's doable. We like to taxi both ways and spend out time in town.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

San Miquel is the only town on Cozumel island. If you are docking at International, you "can" walk into town from there, as there are sidewalks all the way, but you don't really get to the good shopping area until you get to the Punta Langosta pier that is right in town. The ships that dock there just have to take the escalator up to the bridge & walk across to the shopping area across the beach road in town.

Since we wanted to have the most time shopping, and we docked at Puerto Maya (which is right next to International), we took the taxi to the far side of San Miquel, staying on the beach road (the main road that runs along the beach in town). We had asked the driver to take us to the main square and drop us off, but he suggested if we wanted to go about 2 blocks further, we would be where the shops started and we could walk from there, so that is what we did. We basically stayed on the main road (the beach road) of shops until we got to the square, and then we walked around the square looking in those shops, and then came up one of the side streets to the main road again, and stayed on it all the way back to the ship. We just took pictures along the way of whatever interested us. Once you get past the Punta Langosta pier going back towards the International pier, you don't see as many shops, but there are still a few. That is where we crossed over to the beach side of the road, and walked on the sidewalk there back to our pier, Puerto Maya.

The town of San Miquel is built right on the ocean. Their main street runs right along the beach, and there are sidewalks to walk on, on the beach side, and on the stores side. The "beach" side doesn't have much sandy beach, its mostly rocks that looks like lava rock. (But, that is why Cozumel is such a great snorkel place - because of these rocks.) But, you can walk down to the water in many places. There is a seawall built in town, and you would have to jump over it to get to the beach in most places. There are more places to get down to the beach once we were past Punta Langosta pier, and past that pier is where we also stopped to eat some lunch.

There are many shops & restaurants all along the beach road, and as far back into the town as you want to venture. We had to stay mostly along the beach road because of the time we had. But, if you want to do more exploring in down and didn't have time to walk all the way back, you can always catch a cab somewhere along the way and have them take you back to your pier.

If your interested in doing what we did - just catch a cab at your pier, and ask to be taken to the far side of San Miquel where the shops start. Then start walking back. If you haven't already, look up a map of Cozumel, and that will help you get your bearings of where you're going. And, while in the cab, you'll see its not really all that far by taxi from ship to the end of town. It is a long walk - but a nice one.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Below is a link to a Cozumel map that shows the town of San Miquel. On the far left of the map, is a road that says "to Airport". That is probably about where our taxi drive dropped us off, on that main road at the bottom of the map (the blue at the bottom is the ocean). You can see where it says "main plaza" (that is the square I've talked about). You can also see where the Ferry comes in, and where Punta Langosta is. The International & Puerto Maya Piers are off the map and would be to the far right. On the far right of the main road running along the bottom of this map, you will see a label for the lighthouse. Right past that is where we stopped to eat.

http://www.gocozumel.com/map.htm

I now have a much better picture as to where everything is and where our friends will dock with the ferry. They are going to come to the ship and meet us there and maybe we will stroll back into town. It's an option at least. Thanks 20kies for your guidance.

I now have a much better picture as to where everything is and where our friends will dock with the ferry. They are going to come to the ship and meet us there and maybe we will stroll back into town. It's an option at least. Thanks 20kies for your guidance.

I'm glad I could help! :) These forums have helped me out MANY times! It's always helpful to get pointers from someone that has been where you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app