Low key day in Cozumel

scoutandbunji

We are coming in on the NCL in February and just wanted to do a day a shopping and hanging out. How far is the shopping district from the boat piers? Do you recommended a taxi?

We just got off the Carnival Magic and we decided to just do a shopping day also. We've been to Cozumel many times, and decided to just relax a little this time. From our port, we caught a cab (yes they are safe) and told him to take us to the far side of the side of the city - which is about 2-4 blocks from the main city square. It cost the 2 of us $8 for the taxi. We walked the main street, around the square, and then back down the main street all the way back to our ship (it was probably about 4 miles for us - might be less from where your ship docks). We stopped at a cute little place on the beach side of the road to have a light lunch before getting back to our ships port.

Going into the real city of Cozumel to shop is a lot more fun than staying at your ship's pier to shop. You'll find better prices, see different things, and they are more willing to dicker with you on price (don't take anything for the first price they offer, and don't be afraid to walk away - they will follow you to the door and keep lowering the price).

We just got off the Carnival Magic and we decided to just do a shopping day also. We've been to Cozumel many times, and decided to just relax a little this time. From our port, we caught a cab (yes they are safe) and told him to take us to the far side of the side of the city - which is about 2-4 blocks from the main city square. It cost the 2 of us $8 for the taxi. We walked the main street, around the square, and then back down the main street all the way back to our ship (it was probably about 4 miles for us - might be less from where your ship docks). We stopped at a cute little place on the beach side of the road to have a light lunch before getting back to our ships port.

Going into the real city of Cozumel to shop is a lot more fun than staying at your ship's pier to shop. You'll find better prices, see different things, and they are more willing to dicker with you on price (don't take anything for the first price they offer, and don't be afraid to walk away - they will follow you to the door and keep lowering the price).

Do you know where you stopped for lunch?

I don't know the name of it. I couldn't find a name anywhere on the building. However, it is on the North side of the main hwy that runs east and west. I think it is The second building on the west side past the lighthouse in town that says Quintana Roo on it. There is a little yellow building with glass walls that sits on the east side of the palapa which is the outside dining area. You walk down a nice brick ramp to the restaurant that runs parallel to the street. I attached a picture of the restaurant. There wasn't a name that I could find.

image.jpg.9872c9da1d9b46422d55c8c770897694.jpg

Edited by 2Okies

I don't know the name of it. I couldn't find a name anywhere on the building. However, it is on the North side of the main hwy that runs east and west. I think it is The second building on the west side past the lighthouse in town that says Quintana Roo on it. There is a little yellow building with glass walls that sits on the east side of the palapa which is the outside dining area. You walk down a nice brick ramp to the restaurant that runs parallel to the street. I attached a picture of the restaurant. There wasn't a name that I could find.

Thanks good to know that it is good for lunch. I know exactly where you mean. It does look like a nice place, unfortunately it was closed when we tried to go once - will have to try again! I don't know if all the buildings in that group belong to one facility but the first two after the lighthouse used to belong to Albertos for a while.

Thanks good to know that it is good for lunch. I know exactly where you mean. It does look like a nice place, unfortunately it was closed when we tried to go once - will have to try again! I don't know if all the buildings in that group belong to one facility but the first two after the lighthouse used to belong to Albertos for a while.

There may have been a name on their menu - but I didn't notice, or remember. I got the cheese quesidillas that came with guac that was delicious & fresh. My husband got the shrimp quesidillas which he thought were great too. The prices were cheap, which was great for a light lunch.

Edited by 2Okies

I finally figured out how to post pictures here on CC. Here are a few pics we took shopping around in Cozumel:

On the main harbor road

ry%3D400

Shops down the harbor road

ry%3D400

Central plaza

ry%3D400

View down main road of shops

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hooters^

Famous Carlos & Charlies

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Some more pics along the road back to the ship.

Walking on harbor side of road back to the ship

ry%3D400

Little restaurant where we had a lite lunch. Inexpensive & some of the best guacamole I've had!

ry%3D400

Watching the sailboats race

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Quintana Roo Lighthouse

ry%3D400

View towards the ships at port

And - just a few more pics of Cozumel....

Cute little houses along the beach

ry%3D400

Someone doing the Fly board - cool!

ry%3D400

Advertising for Fly-Board

ry%3D400

Hard Rock

ry%3D400

Exit/Entrance to Puerta Maya - Carnival port

ry%3D400

It's going to depend on where your ship docks as well! If you want to hang around town and wander....maybe you'll be lucky and dock at Punta Langosta which is right in town. No need to take a cab anywhere. If you are at Puerta Maya or International Pier you'll have to take a cab. It's a short ride.....but a longer walk. :)

Fun town to hang out and explore!!

It's going to depend on where your ship docks as well! If you want to hang around town and wander....maybe you'll be lucky and dock at Punta Langosta which is right in town. No need to take a cab anywhere. If you are at Puerta Maya or International Pier you'll have to take a cab. It's a short ride.....but a longer walk. :)

Fun town to hang out and explore!!

You could walk to town from Puerta Maya, and walk around some of the shops close to Punta Langosta and maybe have time to walk back to the ship. However, we chose to take the taxi all the way to the far side of town and walk the entire length of the town back. My DH had not been to the old downtown in about 30 years, so I wanted him to see how it had changed. (I've been back a few times on cruises w/my daughter, but he wasn't w/us). We had fun reminiscing about the places we used to go to eat & shop. Cozumel is not the same place it was 30 years ago! Lots more touristy! But, its still my favorite Caribbean port - for ease of getting around and feeling safe. And, I think it has the prettiest water of any place we've been.

All buildings belong to the municipal goverment and are rented by private persons, thats why Alberto´s was there, the unoffical name of the facility is "caletita" I think it means small harbour, and that becuz the entrance to the ocean (beside the lighthouse) looks like that, easy to get into the ocean, I dont know why but on weekdays you dont see many people, but on saturdays & sundays when the weather is hot, the place is pack of local families with children as the ocean is crystal clear, the bottom turns deeper gradualy, looks almost like a pool, is very nice and safe to play in the water and the place is short walking or moped distance from town

Edited by Kletina
yes

All buildings belong to the municipal goverment and are rented by private persons, thats why Alberto´s was there, the unoffical name of the facility is "caletita" I think it means small harbour, and that becuz the entrance to the ocean (beside the lighthouse) looks like that, easy to get into the ocean, I dont know why but on weekdays you dont see many people, but on saturdays & sundays when the weather is hot, the place is pack of local families with children as the ocean is crystal clear, the bottom turns deeper gradualy, looks almost like a pool, is very nice and safe to play in the water and the place is short walking or moped distance from town

Yes, we asked the man that was working there if people ever snorkeled there. It looked like a good place to do that. He told us they did.

Edited by 2Okies

2Okies, I really liked your pictures.:) Were the pictures all taken in a certain area, and if so, what is the name, and how do we get there by Taxi, or what?

I really liked the picture of the Quintana Roo Lighthouse. It looks like a small one, but I love any kinds of lighthouses, and if available, I love to walk to the top. :)

2Okies, I really liked your pictures.:) Were the pictures all taken in a certain area, and if so, what is the name, and how do we get there by Taxi, or what?

I really liked the picture of the Quintana Roo Lighthouse. It looks like a small one, but I love any kinds of lighthouses, and if available, I love to walk to the top. :)

Beshears - I'm glad you liked the pictures. Thank you.

Our ship (Carnival) docked at the Puerto Maya Pier (which is Carnivals), and we caught a taxi from there for $8 and asked to be taken to the far side of town where the shops start - which happen to be just about 4 blocks or so past the City square. We wanted to walk the entire length of town back to the ship.

We mainly stayed on the road that runs along the beach - it is shop, after shop, after shop - with a few restaurants thrown in. When we got to the square, we walked around it, and then came up one of the side roads back to the road along the beach & stayed on it until we got back to the ship. When the shops started getting farther apart as we got closer to the ship, we crossed over to the side that is closest to the ocean, and just walked on that sidewalk. There are still a few things on that side, but you see beach every now & then, and we would walk down to the water, etc., and just enjoy the scenery. Along there is where the lighthouse is. I don't imagine you can go to the top of this one. I think it is military based. Then just past it is where we stopped in for a light lunch at the little place on the beach.

If you aren't on Carnival, you may or may not walk down this far. Carnival's port & the International port are very close together, but the one in town is called Puerto Langosta (I think - or something like that). When you get off at that port, you have to go up an escalator, and cross a bridge to get to the other side of the road. That is the nearest port to town. When Carnival used to port there, we would just cross & walk through the town & then walk back to the ship. No taxi needed.

Anyway - that's how we did it. We just mostly walked the main road that runs along the beach - on the store side when we were in the town, and then on the beach side when we were past most of the stores.

However, we did pass the big Mega Store. Its like a big Walmart. I wanted to go in it, but my husband didn't. I still wish we had went in. I would have liked to see what kind of food, etc they had. Might have found something we don't see here in Oklahoma! Next time! But, when we went past it, we were really running short on time and needed to get back to our port so we would board on time. We were on board right about the time they said to be on board - so we did good.

Have fun if you decide to do this. We liked exploring the stores and just doing our own thing that day.

Thank you for getting back with me, and how to get to that area. Unfortunately we will not be on Carnival. The reason I say this, I "do" like Carnival, but we are doing RCCL, because of the dates of the time I could take vacation.

When you said you walked along the beach and checked out the shops, is there beach area there where we can lay on the beach, or do we need to go to another area for laying on the beach?

Thank you for getting back with me, and how to get to that area. Unfortunately we will not be on Carnival. The reason I say this, I "do" like Carnival, but we are doing RCCL, because of the dates of the time I could take vacation.

When you said you walked along the beach and checked out the shops, is there beach area there where we can lay on the beach, or do we need to go to another area for laying on the beach?

There would be places you could stop and sit in the beach, and even get in the water, but not really any sandy walk in type places, and no where with chairs. You would have to sit on the rocks, or bring your towel. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry those heavy Carnival towels all day if I were shopping, though.

There would be places like the little restaurant that had tables out on the beach, and they would probably let you hang put there a while - if you bought something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2Okies

I'm glad I decided to get curious and check out these posts. Pictures really help and maybe you can help us out.

We will be on the Bloggers Cruise (Sunshine) next weekend and going to Cozumel on the 21st. It's our first time to Cozumel.

We have some friends in Mexico that are driving over for the day to meet us. They will be taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and then we all hope to meet up and spend the day together.

Looking at the maps I can see where we might dock, but not sure where they might be docking to hook up with them. They have not been here before either, at least not that I am aware of.

But love the suggestion of wandering around the town and seeing what's there and stopping for a bite to eat. They have two teenagers that will also be coming with them and so any suggestions and ideas you have would be very really appreciated.;)

Edited by inco

There would be places you could stop and sit in the beach, and even get in the water, but not really any sandy walk in type places, and no where with chairs. You would have to sit on the rocks, or bring your towel. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry those heavy Carnival towels all day if I were shopping, though.

There would be places like the little restaurant that had tables out on the beach, and they would probably let you hang put there a while - if you bought something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you or does anyone else have any idea if there is a beach where we can just go for the day and lay down and tan? :) I'm having a hard time finding any information about "beach breaks" for Cozumel. :(

I'm glad I decided to get curious and check out these posts. Pictures really help and maybe you can help us out.

We will be on the Bloggers Cruise (Sunshine) next weekend and going to Cozumel on the 21st. It's our first time to Cozumel.

We have some friends in Mexico that are driving over for the day to meet us. They will be taking the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel and then we all hope to meet up and spend the day together.

Looking at the maps I can see where we might dock, but not sure where they might be docking to hook up with them. They have not been here before either, at least not that I am aware of.

But love the suggestion of wandering around the town and seeing what's there and stopping for a bite to eat. They have two teenagers that will also be coming with them and so any suggestions and ideas you have would be very really appreciated.;)

Looks like you will be on the Carnival Sunshine. It should dock at Puerto Maya since that is Carnival's dock. I googled to see where the ferry dock is, and it looks like it is in the downtown area at the Punta Langosta pier. So, you could take a taxi to there - probably about $6 according to this attachement, and meet your friends there. Here is a copy of what I found out about the ferry in Cozumel:

WHERE IS THE COZUMEL FERRY? Location: The ferry terminal is located right in downtown Cozumel, next to the Punta Langosta Cruise Ship Pier, right in front of Punta Langosta mall, and a block from the town square. Cozumel Hotel Guests: You can walk there from anywhere in San Miguel (downtown). From areas outside of town, you'll just take a taxi from your hotel or where ever you happen to be on the island. Taxis are readily available all over Cozumel. Very easy.

Cruise Passengers: A taxi to the ferry pier from the Puerta Maya or International Pier should cost about $6.00 USD and take about 7 minutes. If your cruise ship is arriving at Punta Langosta, then you can just walk next door.

COZUMEL FERRY MAP

ferr-ultramar-cozumel_small.jpg

Cruise passengers arriving at the Punta Langosta pier take an escalator up & walk over a bridge across the main road, and another escalator down to get to the street level.

So, if you just want to walk around town w/your friends, you will be right in the middle of town to do just that.

If you've never been to Cozumel though, and you have teenagers, they might enjoy going to one of the many beaches for at least some of the day, however.

Do you or does anyone else have any idea if there is a beach where we can just go for the day and lay down and tan? :) I'm having a hard time finding any information about "beach breaks" for Cozumel. :(

Coz has lots of beach clubs and all offer slightly different attractions and amenities. If all you want is a spot where you can tan and swim the closest and cheapest ($10 cab fare and no admission fee) will be the Money Bar -- no real beach (you enter the water via steps), but a sandy area for sunning and relaxing, great snorkeling from the shore, and good food/drinks/service.

If you look through the Cozumel forum pages, I don't know how you are missing all the information about the beaches. There are many to choose from in Cozumel.

I haven't been here, but from what I've gathered, Paradise beach is a really good sandy beach to go to, and just enjoy laying out, and having a lazy day. Its very inexpensive - I think just $2pp to enter. Food is not included, but available. There are water toys, but they are extra also.

Chankanaab is a nice beach w/some other attractions as well. It is $24pp to enter, and once there you have great snorkeling (equipment can be rented), kayaks, free sea lion show, dolphins & manatee encounters, etc. There is a website for it if you want to see more.

Just look on the Cozumel forum page for more ideas.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts 20kies. Yes, as I mentioned we are on the Sunshine and I understand the Magic will be there also that day. So hopefully Punta Maya is where we will be. Can't find any labels that say Punta Maya, but assume that of the four docks/piers there it might be the first one.

Not sure which will be easier - for us to go to town to meet the ferry, or have them find us at the ship. Suggestions?

I'm leaning to have them come see us rather than us trying to hail a cab to go there when over 4,000 people will be trying to do the same thing ( both ships dock around the same time). It might be quicker for them to hail a taxi to where we are. :D