Westerdam Or Nieuw Amsterdam??

minimartha

Beware: False!

The fact is that the Nieuw Amsterdam has less public pool and sun deck space as compared to the Westerdam.

Comparing the two ships by reviewing the current published HAL deck plans one can conclude the following:

Lido deck (9): Westerdam has the complete Lido pool area for public use, NA has the same Lido pool area except one side is private cabanas (False!) Aft pool areas are similar with the NA showing more chairs where the Westerdam has more clear deck area.(False!)

Observation/Panorama deck (10): Westerdam has a substantial open deck space just aft of the Crow's nest. This area is now staterooms on the NA.

(Open deck on NA is extended aft)

Observation/Sports deck (11): Westerdam has a small open deck, NA has a few more private cabanas.

Even if one was to include the private cabanas it would still be wrong to say that the Nieuw Amsterdam has much more (or more at all) pool/deck space than the Westerdam.

There really is no purpose in being an over-zealous fan of particular HAL ships to the point of misinforming others. The HAL ships have pluses and minuses, and offer different appeal to other people.

igraf

igraf, I believe the difference was explained before.

As you return with the false statements again, it's necessary to explain again.

I just don't know if what you post is sincere misunderstanding.

Upper decks on Signature class and Vista class.

Yellow - decks that were added/changed

Orange - Retreat Cabanas deck

whcier.jpg

Central pool area is the same size on both ships.

Note how much is taken by Lido cabanas (hihglighted in pink):

6ir2w8.jpg

Please get familiar with the subject before posting misleading statements and criticizing other posters.

Edited by Host Walt

Thank you. I think the Westerdam will be a good fit for us. We really don't do anything on a ship but lay in the sun,eat and enjoy the ports lol ....and it's our anniversary of course... :) 60 days to go. So... What's the concenus? Upgrade to suite OR private cabana on private island and a nice romance package, and 2 speciality dinner reservations? Opinions please?

Beware: False!

igraf, I believe the difference was explained before.

As you return with the false statements again, it's necessary to explain again.

I just don't know if what you post is sincere misunderstanding or simply trolling.

Please get familiar with the subject before posting misleading statements and criticizing other posters.

I'm sorry but when were you on a Vista ship? Maybe I missed it? I believe igraf has been on both as have we. I find the Westerdam much nicer space wise than the Nieuw Amsterdam. That is my personal experience from being on BOTH ships. That's not a misleading statement - that's personal experience from having been on board both. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion here.

Thank you. I think the Westerdam will be a good fit for us. We really don't do anything on a ship but lay in the sun,eat and enjoy the ports lol ....and it's our anniversary of course... :) 60 days to go. So... What's the concenus? Upgrade to suite OR private cabana on private island and a nice romance package, and 2 speciality dinner reservations? Opinions please?

That's a tough question as it depends upon what is important to you. One caveat if you choose the private cabana at HMC. Keep in mind that this is a tender port and the ship cannot always tender. Of course your $ for the cabana would be refunded but if you are making a choice, that might mean you sacrificed something else for something you didn't get to experience (only if the ship can't tender).

I'd pick the NA even though I've had good and bad experiences on that ship. I'm in love with Tamarind and really like the retreat cabanas. I'm going on the Westerdam in April because it has the itinerary that I like but my last experience was not stellar. Hopefully it will be better this time.

So... What's the concenus? Upgrade to suite OR private cabana on private island and a nice romance package, and 2 speciality dinner reservations? Opinions please?
We don't spend any time in our cabin except to sleep, change, bathe, etc (once in a while we will get breakfast delivered) so a suite is really a waste of money for us. So - how much would you use the extra space of a suite? Edited by jtl513

I'd love for you to share!! Trying to decide if we should upgrade

What you like to specifically know?

I enjoyed the many amenities available for the Neptune Suite guests, particularly since this was my first experience in that stateroom category and got the upgrade only 48 hours before sailing. (Quite a surprise!) The large veranda with the availability of having breakfast on a real table with real chairs was a treat.

There really is no purpose in being an over-zealous fan of particular HAL ships to the point of misinforming others. The HAL ships have pluses and minuses, and offer different appeal to other people.

You got it.

<snip>

igraf

You are so right, igraf. And I think when people ask about ship comparisons they are not looking for data and facts and figures, but more practical information, and the general ambience.

Minimartha - yes you can buy the package for any cabin, but you will likely have to call Ship Services if it is not listed in the Indulgences for your cruise.

Edited by startwin