Northwest strike sounds like it just

Most people who live in Minnesota (where Northwest is located) are hoping they file for chapter 7. It is the most expensive airport to fly in and out of because NW has a monopoly on the airport and they threaten to sue the state everytime a new airline wants to fly into Minneapolis. Everytime I look for airfare, Northwest is almost always twice the price as competitors so unless they change thier business model, they won't be around long...

I'm sure people in Minnesota would welcome more airlines if Northworst folds. :cool:

Got to disagree while NWA to me was a very budget oriented airline,plane were old, and they charged for peanuts, service was adequate, I saved over $150 compared to Air Canada when flying from New York to Calgary. The key however was booking the flight through an airline consolidator.

Consolidators work on international routes. To my knowledge Northwest does not cahrge for peanuts and the planes are up to date. I am a Continental Silver Elite traveler and I always fly Northwest using a codeshare.

They have a thirty day cooling off period now. It is only the mechanics union who are in talks. While in the past that meant that pilots and flight attendants would walk off too that is not always the case anymore.

Even if talks fail, the President will probably step in and avert the strike under his authority derived fronm National Railway Labor law. Of course, if that happens there will be delays and delays and delays as the mechanics start working exactly according to the rules. But it's better than a strike.

People in MN WANT other airlines, but NW has some State official somewhere wrapped around their little finger.

NW Doesn't charge for peanuts (or pretzels), they just don't serve them anymore. AND you have to pay if you want anything to eat in coach. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one day soon NW started charging for soft drinks, coffee & tea.

Consolidators work on international routes. To my knowledge Northwest does not cahrge for peanuts and the planes are up to date. I am a Continental Silver Elite traveler and I always fly Northwest using a codeshare.

Actually Northwest Airlines is still flying DC-9 jets built in 1967-1969. They might look new with that pretty pearl paint but I assure you they're quite old. ;)

Actually Northwest Airlines is still flying DC-9 jets built in 1967-1969. They might look new with that pretty pearl paint but I assure you they're quite old. ;)

We are scheduled to fly NWA to Alaska on 8/15 and back from YVR on the 28th - I hope what ever gets resolved is resolved by then,

We mostly fly NWA to Detroit to visit relatives and it is sad to see what has happened.

Yes they are still flying DC9's which are 25 yrs old - but heck there are airlines stil flying DC3's. Their safety record is pretty good too.

Personally I think all the airlines have screwed the flying public -

7 hrs to ANC from DTW and you have to BUY a sandwhich

NOT!

Yes but they also fly a lot of newer planes as well, including relativly new 747's and 757's, Airbus 330's, 320's and 319's as well as some new 737's. Their fleet age as recently as 2003 was among the oldest in the US, if not the oldest but recently it is pulling on par with other national carriers. While they do own 149 DC-9's, according to the FAA's website they have also had a recent string of acquisitions.

Yes but they also fly a lot of newer planes as well, including relativly new 747's and 757's, Airbus 330's, 320's and 319's as well as some new 737's. Their fleet age is on par with other national carriers.

Nliedel, I'm not saying you were wrong. Here's a list of average ages.

Airline - Avgerage Age

AirTran - 15.21

Alaska - 9.37

Aloha - 13.76

America West - 10.29

American - 10.46

ATA - 8.16

Continental - 7.35

Delta - 11.22

JetBlue - 1.73

Midwest - 26.83

Northwest - 20.19

Southwest - 9.23

United - 8.76

USAirways - 11.42

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/fleetage.htm

NWA fares are very high for us Minnesotans. No competition. Their customer service has steadily gone down hill. I used to prefer them, but on recent flights the staff has been rude and impolite. I now avoid booking with them if I can. Recently quit serving pretzels to save $$$.

#1 Anyone out there remember a small event called 911?

This darn near broke the backs of almost all US air carriers!

#2 Anyone recall the increase in fuel costs?

Everyone SCREAMS for low fares, then they turn around and DEMAND Filet Mignon on the flight!

Funny how Southwest has only served peanuts for 20+ years and does not offer seat assignments yet folks rave about them because of cheap fares.

Pick one!

NW has always been a solid airline. They have a truly great safety record. Anyone getting on one of their "OLD" DC-9 jets can relax....The only thing left on that aircraft from the 70's is the original ID tag!

Ever heard of a C or D check on an aircraft? Commercial aircraft in the US are literally stripped to the bone, put under microscopes, re-built from the ground up on an ongoing basis.

Get upset about air fares, but pick your poison....high fares....food on the flights, etc.

Having spent "alot" of years in the airline industry, I will always remember what one of my sales reps once said...."How can intelligent business people check their brain at the gate with some of the stupid things they say?"

NWA fares are very high for us Minnesotans. No competition. Their customer service has steadily gone down hill. I used to prefer them, but on recent flights the staff has been rude and impolite. I now avoid booking with them if I can. Recently quit serving pretzels to save $$$.

I wish Southwest or FlyI would move into MSP to give Northwest a run for thier money. That would lower the flight costs in a hurry. :)

Arrrgghhhh! I have never flown NWA, but this September we are scheduled to fly with them from Los Angeles to Vancouver for a cruise. I sure hope things are settled by then.

As far as no pretzels on the flights...s'ok by me...I don't like them anyway....LOL

Husband flies Northwest almost every week - no complaints.

Just about all of the airlines have their good and bad points. Used to fly United a lot - got tired of O'Hare delays - however he is on United this week (Northwest fare was higher).

Also fly American quite a bit --- bottom line is it depends where you are going, the date you are going on .... every airline has its pluses and minuses.

Also don't forget the three mentioned above all have "partners" - Northwest with Delta for example. We often fly out on Northwest/KLM and come home on Delta or vice versa.

Another reason to just let the cruise line do the air. Guess they will get you there and you will know up front the cost , yep is usually always alittle higher but you know ahead of time that you will have a seat. We have done air both ways we book / cruise line book, still like the comfort of knowing that we will have a seat, long walk from Indiana to Miami!

Yikes! :eek: I just bought air a few days ago to San Diego for our Hawaii cruise for next May through NWA. I wonder if bankrupcy is really a possibility? If so, would I be out the price of my 2 tickets?

Even in bankruptcy most airlines operate completely as normal. Just continue to communicate with the airline as you get closer to the date to make sure nothing is changed. Don't worry.

Even in bankruptcy most airlines operate completely as normal. Just continue to communicate with the airline as you get closer to the date to make sure nothing is changed. Don't worry.

I don't understand how they can still operate an normal. If they strike and the pilots follow how do they fly?

So how about the $ part of it? Would you lose you $? We spent $820 for 2 tickets, canadian, and it would sure suck to lose out. At what point do you just cancel your flight and change arilines?

I don't understand how they can still operate an normal. If they strike and the pilots follow how do they fly?

So how about the $ part of it? Would you lose you $? We spent $820 for 2 tickets' date=' canadian, and it would sure suck to lose out. At what point do you just cancel your flight and change arilines?[/quote']

$820 ?

Where are you going to?

I spoke to the World Perks folks this morning. Obviously they don't know any more than anyone else - but she did say check back about a week before departure. They would try to accomodate on another carrier IF there was a strike. When I said we would be willing to leave a day or so earlier - her comment was that would make it much easier to rebook us IF it came to that. Now on the return flight from YVR - that is a whole nother story

So how about the $ part of it? Would you lose you $? We spent $820 for 2 tickets' date=' canadian, and it would sure suck to lose out. At what point do you just cancel your flight and change arilines?[/quote']

I'm sorry I wa speaking of bankruptcy when i replied. Bankruptcy is completely different than strike. A strike would likely affect the airline because a major group of employees would choose not to work. In bankruptcy everyone is working together to improve the financial standing of the company. Unfortunately a strike for Northwest may very well lead to bankruptcy because of their money-losing situation.

Archived