Northwest strike sounds like it just

So now I have to fret for the next 7 weeks. Flying NW to Vancouver on 9-9-05. Living near Detroit (it's a NW hub), it's pretty much the only game in town for me. I can get there on other airlines but it will take a whole day of flying both ways. AARRGGHHH!!!

Depends on what chapter of the bankruptcy law. The one mentioned above(7) is liquidation. No flying it closes. Most company bbankruptices are chapter 11 reorganization. It is meant as a new start where the basic business makes sense. The only airline that I know that had older planes was TWA....

PS the most expensive trip I ever took was on Northwest. Ny to Minn coach $1400(last minute) and they didn't serve any food!!!!!!!

Northwest did something really interesting for me. I flew Northwest from Cleveland to Orlando, coming home 7/4, through Detroit. My flight from Detroit to Cleveland was delayed for about 4 hours for various reasons. Today in the mail I got a letter from Northwest apologizing for the delay, and adding 1000 pts to my mileage account (not that I'll ever have enough in there to use anyway :rolleyes: ). I find this particularly interesting, because I hadn't complained to NW, or even written them!

As a Continental Silver Elite myself, and previous Michigander for 18 years, NorthWORST Airlines is not my first choice. They get a hold on airports, controlling an overwhelming amount of gates and then charge absurd prices, especially to areas they have little market share in. I feel sorry for all of those stuck having to use them. They fly that airbus 319 all over the country, in 4+ hour trips. :eek: On top of that they still use Regional jets on trips well over 2 hours.

Their market is not domestic. They practically gave up on that years ago. They are still around because of their domination in the pacific. The money to be made is in the pacific routes, long distance international flights. NWA did one thing right when they decided to emphasize their presence in this market. If they didn't have them, they would have filed sooner. They will never close for good, AA (my guess) or another competitor, will merge with them and solely for the aircraft and pacific presence. Just my $.02 from a "frequent flier."

We just booked our flights for our October 29th cruise out of San Juan through Continental. Does that mean if NW goes on strike that we may be out too? They had the best prices and were about the only airlines available. Any advice or do we just pray we're not out the $1,454 + $?????

We just booked our flights for our October 29th cruise out of San Juan through Continental. Does that mean if NW goes on strike that we may be out too? They had the best prices and were about the only airlines available. Any advice or do we just pray we're not out the $1,454 + $?????

If you are on continental then you'll be fine. They are one of the the best airlines out there. In fact, they were one of only two (I believe) major airlines this quarter to post significant profits. Enjoy Continental, IMO, it is one of the best you can fly on domestically. Just be careful if you are on a Codeshare flight. Also, I am curious how you are getting a fare of $1400 +. I priced out two tickets from the OCT. 29th to Nov. 6th and was getting round trip airfares for as low as $340 (AA and UA) and as high as $568 (Continental) out of Detroit?

If you are on continental then you'll be fine. They are one of the the best airlines out there. In fact, they were one of only two (I believe) major airlines this quarter to post significant profits. Enjoy Continental, IMO, it is one of the best you can fly on domestically. Just be careful if you are on a Codeshare flight. Also, I am curious how you are getting a fare of $1400 +. I priced out two tickets from the OCT. 29th to Nov. 6th and was getting round trip airfares for as low as $340 (AA and UA) and as high as $568 (Continental) out of Detroit?

Here's the airline earnings so far, if you were wondering:

Southwest = 159 Million Profit

Continental = 100 Milloin Profit

American = 58 Million Profit

Alaska = 14.7 Million Profit

America West = 13.9 Million Profit

Jet Blue = 12.2 Million Profit

Delta = 388 Million Loss

Northwest = Announcement 7/26

United = unknown

US Airways = unknown

It will cost you a ticket but had same situation w/ USAirways back in February so got an 'alternate' ticket from an airport 2 miles away to Tampa on Southwest... Didn't use the Southwest ticket but the beauty of their system is if you buy the ticket online and cancel before the flight you can "redeposit" the funds into Ticketless Travel Funds that you have to use within a year of the purchase date of your original ticket.. So USAirways didn't go on strike and I'm using my "Banked" funds for a trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks.. I was out the $185 but it was better than having no clue if I'd get to Tampa w/out a 13 hour drive by myself...

just a thought if you live near SWA location.. they fly into Seattle and are having a fare sale...

It will cost you a ticket but had same situation w/ USAirways back in February so got an 'alternate' ticket from an airport 2 miles away to Tampa on Southwest... Didn't use the Southwest ticket but the beauty of their system is if you buy the ticket online and cancel before the flight you can "redeposit" the funds into Ticketless Travel Funds that you have to use within a year of the purchase date of your original ticket.. So USAirways didn't go on strike and I'm using my "Banked" funds for a trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks.. I was out the $185 but it was better than having no clue if I'd get to Tampa w/out a 13 hour drive by myself...

just a thought if you live near SWA location.. they fly into Seattle and are having a fare sale...

Cooling off period ends 8/20

Our flight to Alaska is 8/15 - so liklihood is we are probably ok

Return flight is from Vancouver on 8/28

Insurance says - if the strike is on for 2 days - they will pay for alternate air

Northwest says they will accomodate as best as posible - WHAT EVER THAT MEANS.

Looked on Air Canada's website last night and they have a flight from Vancouver to Hartford for $400pp probably not refundable.

If you were me - would you gamble and book the backup flights or wait and see?

If there is a strike - the insurance would pay for lodging until we got out - not sure how long though

Here's the airline earnings so far, if you were wondering:

Southwest = 159 Million Profit

Continental = 100 Milloin Profit

American = 58 Million Profit

Alaska = 14.7 Million Profit

America West = 13.9 Million Profit

Jet Blue = 12.2 Million Profit

Delta = 388 Million Loss

Northwest = Announcement 7/26

United = unknown

US Airways = unknown

Southwest profit doesn't surprise me since they have only one type of plane (all 737's) so they keep the maintance and training costs low. The CSR's are all very nice and you don't have to push 10 buttons to get a live person, they don't have a pain-in-butt computer phone system when you call them. A live person everytime!!! I never had a complaint about Southwest. I hope they expand into more cities like Minneapolis to show Northwest that low fares, nice planes, and courtesy employees really do make a difference.

Archived