Carnival vs Celebrity; OV vs family suite

allygator

Which would you pick? For family of five, me, DH, DCs ages 7, 5, & 2.

Two connecting midship oceanview cabins on deck 2 with carnival or aft family verandah on deck 7 with celebrity. Less than $1000 difference.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

That's a tough call.

First of all I like Celebrity best so that would be my personal pick over Carnival. I also know that the Family Veranda Staterooms have a really nice "huge" balcony.

However, you mentioned a two year old and it will be better on Carnival with the two year old because there is babysitting provided day and night for this age.

Celebrity has in cabin sitting at night but nothing during the day.

So I would do the two connecting cabins on Carnival and it will be nice to have the three kids in their own cabin. You will have two tv's and two bathrooms- and probably more storage and hanging space.

Are you sure there is no in cabin babysitting during the day on Celebrity? RCCL has in cabin babysitting from 8 am to 2 am.

In any case, I would choose Celebrity. There would be more room inside the cabin than 2 ocean views. I would be too nervous to put children that young in a cabin by themselves, even if it is connecting.

I haven't used the Celebrity babysitting in many years but when I did, it was available only after 8PM. It was also subject to availability- so is not guaranteed. This is from the website-

Parents, enjoy a night out. Use our babysitting services, in both the Fun Factory and in individual staterooms. For a fee of $6 per hour per child, children ages 3-11 can participate in the Afternoon Party from noon-2PM on port days and/or the evening Slumber Party from 10PM-1AM. For a fee of $19 per hour, for up to three children within the same family, parents can arrange for a private, in-stateroom babysitter, subject to availability. Children must be 12 months or older to be eligible for in-stateroom babysitting. Please arrange 24 hours in advance.

Thank you for letting me know about Royal because that is news to me. I knew they had Royal Tots now but was not aware that they have in cabin sitting during the day. Good to know for when I become a grandma! (My son got married in Nov.- so could be soon!)

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We don't really plan on using any babysitting services. I might be able to convince the older two to try the kids club but I don't they would go especially if they are in different groups. The two year old would freak out if I left her in a strange setting.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

In that case- go Celebrity and the family suite. I think you will have a wonderful time!:) BTW- the sitters are wonderful on Celebrity and they will walk around with your child and entertain them. I used the service twice on Celebrity with my then 13 mo. old and he loved it! He was a very easy going kid (could care less if I left) unlike my older son who had severe separation anxiety. You'll have to see how your child responds to the crew. You may feel more comfortable with some night time sitting.

I saw a great celebrity deal on travel zoo yesterday. We need to decide between Celebrity and Carnival by tomorrow so i'm just interested in following this thread. I've never sailed Celebrity. For some reason i'm imagining a bunch of old, boring people but i doubt thats not true. Im worried that there wont be as many kids on Celebrity?

I saw a great celebrity deal on travel zoo yesterday. We need to decide between Celebrity and Carnival by tomorrow so i'm just interested in following this thread. I've never sailed Celebrity. For some reason i'm imagining a bunch of old, boring people but i doubt thats not true. Im worried that there wont be as many kids on Celebrity?

It's generally a good thing if there aren't as many kids as on a spring break Carnival cruise. Each cruise line will have a wide range of ages. My kids' favourite cruise line is HAL. Believe it or not, they aren't into waterparks or climbing walls. They do like hanging out with new friends, visiting new places, high tea, trivia, bingo, lectures etc.

It's generally a good thing if there aren't as many kids as on a spring break Carnival cruise. Each cruise line will have a wide range of ages. My kids' favourite cruise line is HAL. Believe it or not, they aren't into waterparks or climbing walls. They do like hanging out with new friends, visiting new places, high tea, trivia, bingo, lectures etc.

Agree but we arent going over spring break. So im wondering if there will at least be a decent amount of children. My kids are totally into the waterpark and kid things. They are only 2 and 4. My 4 year old loves playing with other kids though so im wondering if that would be more likely on Carnival. Ugh, i cannot decide between the two. My son will be a newly turned 3 year old and i also know that Celebrity doesn't take non pottytrained kids in their clubs. We have only a few months and i definitely am going to try to potty train him but hes so stubborn and i know its a big gamble that it may not happen. Hubby and I would really like a little alone time without the kids. But i'd love to try a new line. Decisions decisions.

There will be kids on almost any Celebrity sailing- although admittedly some sailings aren't as popular with kids. If you are doing a Caribbean cruise there will be pre-school age kids and I am not sure that kids age 4 really need a ton of kids to have a good time on a cruise. My son actually hopes there will be fewer kids because he gets more attention that way.

I wouldn't worry about putting kids in a connecting cabin...they'll be closer to you on the ship than in their own bedrooms at home! When the connecting doorway is open, it's immediate access....you can shut the door some or all, if you want privacy.