Glacier bay worth $500?

sunflowr04

I'm debating between NCL jewel and pearl. The main difference is pearl goes to glacier bay while jewel cruises sawyer glacier. And, pearl is $500 more total. Is it worth the extra money for this itinerary?

Ten years ago, I'd have said absolutely yes. Now, I'm ambivalent. We first visited Glacier Bay in 99, and it was the highlight of our trip. The last time we were there, in 2010, it wasn't nearly as dramatic or awe-inspiring. I still think it's worth going there and it's a wonderful part of the cruise, but if the $500 difference is an "ouch" (or worse!), you'll still have a wonderful cruise in Alaska without it.

I'm probably going to be in the minority with that opinion. :)

In order to really get a good look at Tracy Arm and the two Sawyer Glaciers it requires the small boat add on - the Tracy Arm Explorer - which will cost around $250.00 pp.

I only saw Glacier bay once in 2012 - I have seen Tracy Arm now three times - 02,03 and again in 12 when we took the Explorer RT out of Juneau - I was also amazed at how much the two glaciers had changed in 10 years. In 02 you could easily see North Sawyer from the main channel - today you have to go up the side channel. Now if you are going in May or early June you may not get to see Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier as the channel may have too much ice for the ships to navigate - instead they either divert to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier - or worse yet they attempt Tracy - fail and then go down Endicott and turn around due to time constraints and the pax see no glaciers. This has never been the case with Glacier Bay

The Pearl and Jewel do similar routes and visit the same ports - in fact they both spend Wed in Skagway - although the Jewel leaves earlier than the Pearl. The Jewel spends more time in Victoria on Fri. The Jewel also starts in Ketchikan on Monday while the Pearl starts in Juneau on Tuesday.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just can't remember. If you take 26 glacier tour or major marine, does it go to Tracy Arm, can't remember the main glaciers, but was really worth the trip/money :)

26 Glaciers and Major Marine operate trips in Prince William Sound from Whittier which is about an hour or so from Anchorage and about 575 miles from Tracy Arm.

Edited by Chenega

Why not do both, plus Hubbard?

I'm taking NCL Sun back to back so will do both, plus 2 separate days in Hubbard . Then taking the cruise from Whitter, will see PWS/College Fjord as well.

So it is a complete trip with Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, Hubbard, and College all in one 14 IT.

It will be my 2nd time in Glacier Bay, my first time is with HAL in 2012. We went to John Hopkins Glacier instead as it was one of the rare times we can get very close to it so failed to see Margerie Glacier. So hopefully this time will be the usual Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay.

I have been on 3 Alaska cruises. Twice doing Glacier Bay and once doing Sawyer Glacier.

Because of ice, we weren't able to do Sawyer Glacier and went up a different arm. Can't remember what it was called.

But, we plan on doing the Alaska cruise again this summer. I will choose the Glacier Bay itinerary. Glacier Bay viewing begins at 6 am. Park rangers board the ship. They are available on deck to answers questions. One park ranger narrates the entire way, pointing out items of interest along the way. Also, you do pass a couple of other glaciers along the way, and we saw awesome calving a couple of times. The scenery is outstanding.

I was more in awe throughout the day on the Glacier Bay cruising than I was on the other. But, like I said. We were not able to go up the arm to Sawyer Glacier, and the captain had to change up the itinerary.

On both itineraries, when you get to the end/or as far in as they can go, and you are in view of the glacier, the captain stops and slowly turns the ship in a complete circle for outstanding viewing.

It is just breathtaking, the entire day. With Glacier Bay, you do have to be up very early, as the viewing starts first thing in the morning. With Sawyer Glacier, you start to head in later in the day/early afternoon.

Thanks for the beautiful picture! It makes me more excited to go to Glacier Bay for the first time on my upcoming cruise.

No problem. Glacier Bay really was amazing! There are tons more pictures of Glacier Bay day as well as pre-cruise in Seattle and the rest of the cruise in my review. There is a link in my signature below (pictures start on page 3). Enjoy! :)

In order to really get a good look at Tracy Arm and the two Sawyer Glaciers it requires the small boat add on - the Tracy Arm Explorer - which will cost around $250.00 pp.

Exactly my thought, so why not just go to Glacier Bay?

Doing Tracy Arm without the add on means there is a possibility you won't see the glaciers. The add on makes the prices pretty close. My vote would be for Glacier Bay.

And add to that the fact that even with a small boat you might not get through Tracy Arm if it is very well iced over.

Glacier Bay is an amazing day and if you are out front on the ship before the ship enters the bay you have a great chance of seeing whales and other marine wildlife.