Dialysis on board

tweety33

Has anyone experienced Dialysis treatments 3x a week on board the ship with dialysis at sea program?

It is very expensive. You pay brochure prices for the cruise plus between $500 and $1000 per treatment. My DH is on dialysis and we travel with his NxStage machine. NxStage will deliver supplies directly to the dock for you as long as it is in the USA. If leaving from a port not in the US you can contact the NxStage affiliate for that country. Not available in all countries, but there is a good choice. Do you do home dialysis?

Yoletta

A family member wants to get back into cruising since starting dialysis, she does not do home dialysis, she goes to a center 3x a week. I said I'd find out what I could on others experiences with it. She also gets around only with a wheel chair.

Look forward to hearing anyones experiences. Thank you.

Yes we cruised with my wife's twin sister to Alaska on rccl radiance of the seas. I can tell you it was my first cruise and their second. It was a little expensive but well worth it for how good it made her feel to be normal for a week. It was seamless with no problems they handled to rx for treatment and had all necessary files for her needs. The nurses and doctor was unbelievable and they even got to enjoy the cruise with us at times. I'm sure you have other questions but just ask away as I handled all details for her.:)

• 4 months later...

This is the third thread I'm posting on.....too much information is NEVER TOO MUCH. Looking to read/hear personal experiences. Have looked at "dialysis at sea" website and pretty much understand how to prepare for cruse and which cruises supply dialysis. We are past frequent cruisers and this next one will be with dialysis....a big hurdle. All that we have read looks favorable, but want to hear "from the horses mouth".....good or bad. Thanks for any info.

• 1 year later...

I have cruised several times when I was on Home Dialysis. Every time, everything went GREAT.

I am now on Hemo dialysis and will be cruising for the first time using this form of dialysis. I have contacted "Dialysis at Sea" and found that you have to pay full price for the cruise,(which is a rip off because you can get all kinds of deals from Costco or other discount sites) and then you have to pay $2,000.00 extra for the treatments.

I would like to know if anyone has travelled before using this and whether or not health insurance will cover the Dialysis part????

Thanks

I have cruised several times when I was on Home Dialysis. Every time, everything went GREAT.

I am now on Hemo dialysis and will be cruising for the first time using this form of dialysis. I have contacted "Dialysis at Sea" and found that you have to pay full price for the cruise,(which is a rip off because you can get all kinds of deals from Costco or other discount sites) and then you have to pay $2,000.00 extra for the treatments.

I would like to know if anyone has travelled before using this and whether or not health insurance will cover the Dialysis part????

Thanks

Medicare and Medicaid do not cover the cost.

Healthcare policies differ so in order to obtan information specific to you , you need to contact your provider directly.

FYI- this following is copied from DAS website :

Will insurance pay for my dialysis treatments?

The dialysis treatment cost is a flat rate determined by the length of the cruise, and is billed separately. The dialysis patient must pay their dialysis bill prior to the cruise. Unfortunately, Medicare and Medicaid have never covered dialysis for any cruises we offer, however there are many supplemental insurance companies that will reimburse a percentage. We strongly suggest that you contact your insurance carrier for reimbursement possibilities. Once you return from your cruise, we can provide you with an itemized statement of your dialysis treatments so you can file a claim for reimbursement. We do not deal directly with insurance companies and therefore are not aware of which companies and individual policies will reimburse for the dialysis.