Question about Cruise for HS Senior Trip

There is no guarantee that the youth director will let the 18 year old in. Be prepared for a no. It seems recently that a lot of lines are taking the hard stance on this due to liability.

ESPECIALLY on cruises that the kids clubs are full because of Spring Break and lots of families.

These horror stories are why my son's senior trip, on the Miracle in March, consists of him and his 3 best friends and ALL 8 PARENTS! Each teen is in a cabin with his parents.

This is exactly what will probably happen if it happens at all. A few friends ALL with a parent (or 2). But her good friends are younger by a month or a couple which is what brought up my original question. Like I said, I will not be bringing any "guests" with me.

Ok, I did a senior year cruise with a group of Mom's and Daughters two years ago and can answer the specific question you asked.

They were not allowed go to the teen club if they were 18. I have posted the link to my review of our trip below. The third bullet point addresses this exact issue.

They all had a good time but it really kind of sucked that they were in a no man's land. Second daughter graduates next year and we are all ready getting a group together to do it again.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1601969

did this very thing with a group of 17 & 18 girls on a RCL ship for graduation

WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN

line did enforce the 18 is adult and 17 is not rule and hours into the cruise the 18's discovered how much fun it was to taunt the 17's for being kids ... so began the teen girl drama

then a chaperone revealed they had no problem buying drinks for the under aged which again split the group since other chap's certainly didn't agree with this one . . .

ended up being the worst cruise experience we ever had in some ways ... and best in others as we simply split from the group and went our own way after the second day ... moved out of the group seating and the whole thing. We'd gone as a family of 5 as part of the group and as part of the chaperones. Needless to say the kids w/out parents thought the chap's buying them booze were cool and we were not.

never again

Any adult who is buying a drink to give to a minor is risking getting tossed off the ship at the next port. It could be that the adult listed above didn't get caught.

A few cruises ago on a Princess ship, during the champagne waterfall, I saw a waiter take away glasses from a couple of teens who were standing there with an adult. I was thinking that man was very lucky.

Ok, I did a senior year cruise with a group of Mom's and Daughters two years ago and can answer the specific question you asked.

They were not allowed go to the teen club if they were 18. I have posted the link to my review of our trip below. The third bullet point addresses this exact issue.

They all had a good time but it really kind of sucked that they were in a no man's land. Second daughter graduates next year and we are all ready getting a group together to do it again.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1601969

thank you! I look forward to reading your review :)

Just how many kids are you talking about ? All girls? How many cabins? Most cruise lines require someone to be an adult (25+ years old) in a cabin with anyone under 21. If they are 17 you need noterized permission to take a child out of the country but this has to be checked with the cruise line. It should give you permission if medical care is needed.

As far as the 'teen club' is, often older teens just hang together and do their own thing. At 11pm Carnival security goes into the disco and all under 18 must leave.

That is what happened to our group on NCL regading ages in the dance club. 17 and 18 year olds were all in the disco before 11:00 pm but at 11 pm the 17 year olds were kicked out. Which had the effect of making them all leave because the 18 year olds didn't want the "younger" friends to be left out. It would be maddening because when the kids left, the result was the place would be empty.

(On another note, reading over my reveiw from two years ago that I posted above, I clearly took no time to edit my grammer/typos back then, lol. Oops.)

does anyone actual read the OP and the OP's follow up post? The OP is taking her daughter and only her daughter on a cruise. if any other friends go it will be with their respective parents.

LOL THANK YOU!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who could read my posts!

When I first saw the title of this post I thought someone was going to attempt to take the entire senior class on a class trip with only some chaperones. It gave me a cold chill.

Yea, just me and 700 seniors - I'd for sure be getting the alcohol package ;) :D

That is what happened to our group on NCL regading ages in the dance club. 17 and 18 year olds were all in the disco before 11:00 pm but at 11 pm the 17 year olds were kicked out. Which had the effect of making them all leave because the 18 year olds didn't want the "younger" friends to be left out. It would be maddening because when the kids left, the result was the place would be empty.

(On another note, reading over my reveiw from two years ago that I posted above, I clearly took no time to edit my grammer/typos back then, lol. Oops.)

No worries on the typos - I'm still trying to find the time to get to your trip report - can't wait!

As far as your first paragraph goes, that would be a lot better than all the 17 year olds being able to hang out in the teen area (or whatever it's called) and my daughter not :/

The OP is taking her daughter and only her daughter on a cruise. if any other friends go it will be with their respective parents.

LOL THANK YOU!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who could read my posts!

really?

OP's original post

Just starting to toss around the idea of taking my daughter on a cruise for her senior trip in 2015. She is feeling out her friends to see who else is interested.

Here's my question: My daughter will be 18 and most (if not all) of her friends will still be 17.

sorry OP if we read what you wrote rather than what you meant.

Edited by Capt_BJ

The OP is taking her daughter and only her daughter on a cruise. if any other friends go it will be with their respective parents.

really?

OP's original post

Just starting to toss around the idea of taking my daughter on a cruise for her senior trip in 2015. She is feeling out her friends to see who else is interested.

Here's my question: My daughter will be 18 and most (if not all) of her friends will still be 17.

maybe should should read her follow-up post clarifying her OP.

really?

OP's original post

I guess it never occurred to me that anyone would be stupid enough to take other people's kids on a cruise which is why I didn't say that the other girls would also have their parent(s) with them.

I guess it never occurred to me that anyone would be stupid enough to take other people's kids on a cruise which is why I didn't say that the other girls would also have their parent(s) with them.

you can't simply ask a question on these boards without the usual folks going into meltdown and answering a hundred 'what if' that they have created in their own mind. there's a reason a lot of the usual suspects have so many post.

I don't get why folks consider 18 an evil age.. I was the next to youngest kid in our senior class. I didn't turn 18 until sept after grad'ing in may. most of the other folks were 18 before grad and I don't think anyone gave a thought about 18yo guys dating other senior or juniors for that matter.

I'm betting an 18 young lady wouldn't want to be caught dead in the teen club.

Actually, there's been people posting (in past threads) about taking one of their kids' friends too. Or girl scout troops that will go on a cruise (with a few parents as chaperones). I remember one school group went on a cruise (at a time of year that many would think that kids would be in school) and apparently were out of control (which makes it harder on those of us who travel with our kids). So it wasn't beyond the pale for people to think that was your plan.

See, but that's where the problem lies. There have been many who've brought kids on cruises who are not their own. If you read the threads here, I think you'd be surprised by how many questions there are about the documentation needed to take non-related kids on a cruise. So, to be honest, when I read your first post, I thought you were considering a cruise with your daughter and a bunch of her friends----that's exactly how your original post reads.

Now, as for the cruise, any teen I've known will not hang at the kids club. They find them, and the activities, lame---that's the exact term used. Older teens just hang out together and do their thing. Unfortunately, the 18-20 group is a tough age to cruise. While they can participate in every adult activity, except drinking, they don't want to hang with us oldsters playing trivia and the like.

if the op is taking only her own child, then why this thread? :confused:

if underage kids may go, then it seems the simplest solution is to postpone the trip until all participants have turned 18.

Because it would be a "senior trip." during our districts spring break week. It is when it is, and a trip at any other time just wouldn't be a senior trip. That's how it is around here anyway.

Now, as for the cruise, any teen I've known will not hang at the kids club. They find them, and the activities, lame---that's the exact term used. Older teens just hang out together and do their thing. Unfortunately, the 18-20 group is a tough age to cruise. While they can participate in every adult activity, except drinking, they don't want to hang with us oldsters playing trivia and the like.

That would be ideal. I just didn't want my daughter to be left out if the other girls DID want to hang out in the minors area.

See, but that's where the problem lies. There have been many who've brought kids on cruises who are not their own. If you read the threads here, I think you'd be surprised by how many questions there are about the documentation needed to take non-related kids on a cruise. So, to be honest, when I read your first post, I thought you were considering a cruise with your daughter and a bunch of her friends----that's exactly how your original post reads.

My daughter felt this way when she was on cruises as a 13 and 15-year old. She actually did use the word "lame."

My daughter felt this way when she was on cruises as a 13 and 15-year old. She actually did use the word "lame."

So did all 8 of my second cousins, aged 14 to 17, on our family reunion cruise. They went ONE day to the club, found it lame, and never went back. They found each other in the arcade, in the buffet and at the pool, and a bunch of teens just started hanging out together.

Because it would be a "senior trip." during our districts spring break week. It is when it is, and a trip at any other time just wouldn't be a senior trip. That's how it is around here anyway.

That would be ideal. I just didn't want my daughter to be left out if the other girls DID want to hang out in the minors area.

Why not in May/June after they graduate, or any time in the summer? It would still be a senior trip. When I graduated high school my friends and I did our trip in June. At that point it was more exciting because we had already finished school. Would all her friends be 18 by then?

Also, are these teens really set on going to the teen and dance clubs? Personally I was never interested in them. I was more interested in the pools, games, and shows. Maybe you should let them know about all the activities and see if they are interested in enough activities.

call me stupid then...we took our daughter's best friend on our first cruise.