Molokai or Lanai for the day?

IWORK2CRUISE

Hi all,

We will be on Rhapsody of the Seas in September and have an overnight in Lahaina, Maui.

This will be our 3rd visit and we are exploring the options of visiting either Molokai or Lanai for the day. I understand the ferries are available.

Who has done either?

Any advice?

Thanks!

We went to Molokai for a day trip during a two week stay on Maui in October, but we flew over and back (from OGG). The ferry crossing is supposedly very rough from Maui to Molokai, which is why we chose to fly - and cost was almost identical for flight and ferry. It was a great day of exploring (with a rental car), but I don't think it's a good option for a 2 day cruise stop on Maui as I don't think the ferry schedules would work with your port times, and getting to OGG for a flight would be costly and time consuming.

Lanai is a more popular destination for a day trip (we haven't been) - it's often discussed on the Maui and Lanai Tripadvisor forums, so you might want to have a look there for more information. Trilogy's Lanai trip is one way of going that many people rave about. Here's a link to reviews.

We took a sailboat to Lanai (under motor for the trip over in the morning, as the wind is light!)....had coffee/danish on the trip over (and even saw some whales!), then had a couple hours of snorkeling (which I hate, so I laid on the beach!), then a beautiful lunch on white tableclothes with silverware...delish...then under sail back to Lahaina, while making homemade ice cream!

I wish I could remember the tour company....but alas, I can't. It was a wonderful day!

Interested in the same, but wife and I will be based in Maui (Wailea area) for three nights. Flying into Maui (OGG) from Kona, arriving OGG around 2pm on a Tuesday. Probably too late to take a flight back out that day--and we'd have our luggage--minimal, carry-on only stuff, but still luggage. Does the OGG airport have storage lockers?

Will have to look into driving distance from the Wailea area to OGG for considering a Molokai trip. Unless ferry is a better option considering we'll be in Wailea and not on a cruise vacation this particular trip.

Lanai sounds easier.

Cost is a factor too. I know lots of people think nothing of doing, say, $300/pp helicopter tours. But that would be a budget buster. Can someone give an idea of costs in getting from Maui to either Lanai or Molokai for a day trip? Both flights and ferry. Sailboat option was mentioned. Sight unseen I would guess Big Bucks. :-( Which to me would be $100 or more per person. Hoping ferry would be a lot less costly.

Edited by mikeerdas

Ferry to Lanai and back would be your least expensive option for a day trip to either of those two islands, and Lanai can be explored a bit using the shuttle vs. the need to rent a car on Molokai. I posted more detailed info in the other thread.

The bigger bang for you buck, I feel would be Maui to Lanai trip. I have been to Lanai (stayed) about 6 times, really nice beach area there. In your case for a day visit, I would recommend a trip/tour with "Trilogy".

http://sailtrilogy.com/tour/lanai

They offer a quality tour, and it covers all of your needs, sail over to Lanai, BBQ lunch, snorkel, beach time, and a tour offered of upper Lanai.

It will give you a taste of the Island, enough to want to return for a stay.

I have several friends who have done this tour/trip with them, and they were very happy.

Chuck

Edited by Molokai-Chuck

Chuck - I agree that the Trilogy Lanai trip is worth considering, and for the OP, I think it's the best option for the time that they have (I included a link to it in an earlier post here) - but for mikeerdas' situation, because he mentions cost being a factor, the ferry trip could be done for about half the cost of the Trilogy trip. But the Trilogy trip is convenient - all food and transportation included, and provides the opportunity for sailing. Definitely worth comparing the options to see what appears most suitable.

• 2 months later...
Chuck - I agree that the Trilogy Lanai trip is worth considering, and for the OP, I think it's the best option for the time that they have (I included a link to it in an earlier post here) - but for mikeerdas' situation, because he mentions cost being a factor, the ferry trip could be done for about half the cost of the Trilogy trip. But the Trilogy trip is convenient - all food and transportation included, and provides the opportunity for sailing. Definitely worth comparing the options to see what appears most suitable.

Thanks Susan. So do ferries from Maui to Lanai leave only from Lahaina? Or are there also ferries from the Wailea area (where the Andaz, Fairmont, and Four Seasons hotels are located)? If there are ferries from Wailea, are they more costly and is the journey shorter or longer? Wondering if I had the option to take one from Wailea or drive to Lahaina and go from there. I don't know what Lahaina has to offer in terms of sights and being a Destination--or not--in its own right.

Really looking forward to visiting a Kona coffee plantation--best coffee on earth I've found so far. Enjoyed the free 100% Kona coffee served on NCL ships doing the port-intensive Hawaii itinerary--back when there were 3 ships doing the same route. Hope they still serve it.

Anyway, what's your favorite Kona coffee plantation and why? Will be staying on the Kohala coast for 4 nights. For some context, I loathed the Dole Plantation on Oahu, and would never advise anyone to go. Mostly due to the salespeople in the store pushing jewelry, etc. Had a bad, "I'm about to be scammed" vibe. Had to dodge salespeople left and right as I recall. Couldn't leave fast enough. Really a shame. Hope it's not as bad as I perceived during that single visit.

* Do any of the Kona coffee plantations charge admission? If so, what's included and is it worth the cost?

* How long should I expect to "hang out" at one of these plantations, roughly speaking?

* What distinguishes one Kona coffee plantation from another, e.g. any really unique: beauty, methods, friendly / non-pushy staff, etc? Any differences that make a difference?

Thanks Susan. So do ferries from Maui to Lanai leave only from Lahaina? Or are there also ferries from the Wailea area (where the Andaz, Fairmont, and Four Seasons hotels are located)? If there are ferries from Wailea, are they more costly and is the journey shorter or longer? Wondering if I had the option to take one from Wailea or drive to Lahaina and go from there. I don't know what Lahaina has to offer in terms of sights and being a Destination--or not--in its own right.

Hi Mike,

The ferries only leave from Lahaina.

I was a bit confused by your last sentence ... did you mean 'Lanai' as opposed to 'Lahaina'?

Anyway, what's your favorite Kona coffee plantation and why? Will be staying on the Kohala coast for 4 nights.

We did the Greenwell Farm tour and really enjoyed it ... but I don't have another coffee plantation tour to compare it to as it's the only one we've done. Interesting, free, nice people and a store where you can buy coffee if you want ... but no pressure. You can just drop by ... the tours go on a regular basis.

Reviews.

Hi Mike,

The ferries only leave from Lahaina.

I was a bit confused by your last sentence ... did you mean 'Lanai' as opposed to 'Lahaina'?

Thanks Susan. Sorry for the confusion. I really did mean Lahaina, as in is there anything worth seeing in the town of Lahaina on Maui? Especially since this is the only place to take a ferry from based on your reply.

Yes ... it's an historic town, nice place to spend a few hours. I like the self guided historic walking tour and stopping in a some places along the way - e.g. Baldwin Home. Banyan Tree Park, with it's 150 year old banyan tree is a highlight. The waterfront and harbour are worth walking along too.

Lots of shopping and restaurants too. Some really nice galleries. We always take a look in this one..