Best way to keep group in touch on the Dawn

scoutandbunji

We are going on the Dawn with a large group. What is the best way to stay in touch with everyone? Can you get wifi on the ship to send emails to each other, or get an international text package on your phone so you can send text's.........what the best way to keep in touch?

A little pre-planning... designated meeting places and times, sticky notes, reservations, random encounters, ship phones, cell phones (in port).

Honestly, its a ship not a country. How did people manage before wifi and texting? Oh, the humanity!

You can use the NCL iConcierge app on your smart phone. Just turn it to airplane mode so you don't get data charges, and connect to the ship's wifi. Then you'll be able to send messages to other people who have the app on the ship just like texting. I tried it while I was on the Epic last time and the app definitely worked.. I just didn't have anyone to try out the messaging with so I can't speak to if that worked or not. Maybe someone else has.

I liked the app because you can also easily check your account balance and show tickets and most of the other things that you can check on your TV when on board.

We've used magnetic whiteboards on the cabin door in the past, but we were just a few rooms and we were adjacent to each other. Your best bet for a larger group is probably to use the phones in the staterooms and leave each other messages.

note that the phones in your cabin will have a flashing light if there are messages....just make sure all your group knows to check their messages. It is also helpful to get each cabin to set up a personal greeting so that when you call a cabin, you know that you have reached the cabin that you intended before you leave a message.

Talk with each other, visit with each other, use the phone in the cabin 9which has a voice-mail capability), leave some notes for each other,plan ahead,........pay the money and use the cel-phone.....pretty much anything but a relatively useless and always annoying walky-talky.

iConcierge does not work on Dawn - only the new ships

There are no plans that will waive charges. Do text via the phone, you need to have the phone turned on, which will also allow regular phone calls to get through.

To text via the internet requires you to log in to the internet and pay $.40 to $.75 per minute.

So - nope.

We've used magnetic whiteboards on the cabin door in the past, but we were just a few rooms and we were adjacent to each other. Your best bet for a larger group is probably to use the phones in the staterooms and leave each other messages.

We have had groups with up to 16 cabins and I always just update a magnetic whiteboard on my cabin door. This is the easiest way to get a message out. I tell everyone to look for my cabin something each day if they want to know any plans. But the main point is to do what you want and enjoy.

Edited by newbe dave

How large is your large group ? How about nominating and designating a CEO, COO, CIO, CTO and your own CD? Just kidding ;) - common sense !

Otherwise, you do so by making a daily & next day plan during your group's conference gathering rituals, and by calling room-to-room, or you meet at a designated location (like poolside or buffet or bar) at a specific time, or you leave a voice mail (stateroom's telephone) or a written message (sticky notes or slip it under the door (or, "mail" slot on the outside)

Depending on the user's cellular plan, it can range from free (most unlikely) to 10 cents or more to receive, and 25 to 50 cents or more (for American providers) to send - per 160 character text messages, per user/receipients ... assuming that all parties involved have global/international calling & roaming enabled - some, if not all, prepaid plans do NOT work unless they are on a "home" carrier network. So, while outside a US home port and/or roaming on Cellular At Sea - mobile calling and/or texting might be DISABLED by your provider.

Keep in mind that mobile devices next to the pool or near the hot tub is a disaster waiting to happen - they don't swim or float at all.

Otherwise, if someone is out of reach - you wait for them to show up, eventually; or, start looking & search for them (good luck - that's your exercise for the day, it's a big or mega ship); or, you simply forget about them & move out with the rest of the group.

El cheapo "high power" Walkie T's on the Dawn might work outdoors on deck 7 and at/above deck 11, or, if you lean outside on the balcony (safety harass attached to the steel railings is optional.) For a large group, imagine 20 or 40+ walkie talkies tuned to the same open channel, going off across the MDR, "Okay, 10-4, helloooo, say again." God, do I hate those NEXTEL's - beep, beep: remember those :eek:

If some of them are minor children of yours, that's a different story ...

Edited by mking8288

I just spoke to my AT&T rep and she suggested getting "international texting". The plan is $20 for 50 text messages, combined sending and receiving. As long as data is turned off - no additional charges. You can text to each other on and off the ship and text with folks back home. She said to call for it just a few days before our trip.