Heels or flats??

DJSchib

Heels! I usually wear 2.5" heels most days for work, but on cruises I prefer 4" as I like how they look with the dresses.

To be fair my cruise evenings: room to bar to restaurant/MDR to bar to room.

Not too much walking involved, and then later you can blame your dodgy walking on the shoes and not the cocktails ;)

Always higher heels for me in a formal dress. I don't think flats look right with a gown, now don't shout at me please, as I know some gals have no choice:)

I agree, and it's unfortunate that some people have no choice. In those cases, maybe if the gown goes all the way to the ground, no one can really tell.

I like to have about a 1 inch hidden platform inside my shoes to offset the height of the heel. For instance, I'm wearing these right now at work, and they are so comfortable because of the platform. Just another option for those who are trying heels for the first time. (And no, I'm not suggesting these with a gown. Ha! just making an example of the platform).

38004_womens-isola-cherie_119_detail.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

This fall, I tried a pair of booties with the platform deal - 3" heel with 1.5" platform. The 11.5 screws in my lower leg and ankle (yes .5 - I broke one and the doc decided to just leave what was imbedded) said "nooooooo".

Sigh. Some of us are just destined to wearing inappropriate shoes with some clothes ;)

This fall, I tried a pair of booties with the platform deal - 3" heel with 1.5" platform. The 11.5 screws in my lower leg and ankle (yes .5 - I broke one and the doc decided to just leave what was imbedded) said "nooooooo".

Sigh. Some of us are just destined to wearing inappropriate shoes with some clothes ;)

You don't even need heels because you have the best crossbody purses. :D

I agree, and it's unfortunate that some people have no choice. In those cases, maybe if the gown goes all the way to the ground, no one can really tell.

I like to have about a 1 inch hidden platform inside my shoes to offset the height of the heel. For instance, I'm wearing these right now at work, and they are so comfortable because of the platform. Just another option for those who are trying heels for the first time. (And no, I'm not suggesting these with a gown. Ha! just making an example of the platform).

38004_womens-isola-cherie_119_detail.jpg

I am smiling as I have a pair similar to this with 4 or maybe 5 inch heel. Well they are suede and instead of patent mine are glittery on the toecap and whole heel. I have not worn them yet, I took them on my last cruise but didn't wear them as I didn't like them with any of my cruise gear but I will find the right outfit to go with them, probably a nice pencil skirt or skirt suit, maybe a fancier pair of trousers. Sonds like an excuse to go shopping!

I think those flats are very pretty too but not something I would wear with a long gown but very nice for those that don't have a choice or just don't like heels.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I think something like this with a formal gown would be awesome. I could be rocking my favorite pair of heels, but if I saw these, I'd likely be jealous:

800-22a.jpg

Ok, where do I find these shoes??? I am one of those who can't wear heels due to a major tendon issue in my right foot. Even though my gowns cover my flats, I would love these to wear with a cocktail dress.

Lisa

Ok, where do I find these shoes??? I am one of those who can't wear heels due to a major tendon issue in my right foot. Even though my gowns cover my flats, I would love these to wear with a cocktail dress.

Lisa

This website: shopzoey.com. They have a lot of cute flats, and the prices are decent.

Absolutely heels for me. At 5'10", I stick with 4" heels on cruises. The only time you'll see me in flats is when I'm wearing flip flops to the beach. Or if I'm making a desperate early morning coffee run to the Lido deck to grab it and take back to the room before I get human for the day. :D Like I keep saying, wearing combat boots all day every day gets old, so I girly it up on a cruise. Will there come a day when I can't? Sure. But while I'm able, I'll wear heels. Personal preference only. :)

You don't even need heels because you have the best crossbody purses. :D

Awwww. Thanks. Sherpani rules!!!

For those who do like both strappy sandals and wedges, go checkout the sundance catalog website. Plenty to choose from, and some of them are actually very reasonably priced. I'd love to try a pair of the original Kork-Ease wedges, I think there would still be too much of a slope for my ankle :-(

Edited by slidergirl

For me personally, 2 1/2 to 3 inch heels are my choice for formal wear and the other dresses I wear on a cruise. However, comfort is important, and so is that fact that many people cannot wear heels. With this in mind, I think the best answer for me to give you (just my opinion, of course) is to find an appropriate shoe with the heel height you are comfortable with. The silver ones posted are beautiful, and there are a lot of styles out there in low heel to flats.

I do wear flat sandals with my maxi dresses. I make sure they fit the style of the dress, so the outfit looks more complete.

If my gown goes to the ground and I am going to an event where I will be standing for hours in end, I'll wear something a bit lower. If my dress isn't long enough or I will be seated most of the evening, something in the 3.5-4.5" range--except in a cruise, where rough seas could easily cause a broken ankle. In that case I would choose to pack a dress I could wear a lower heel or flat with.

One of the charity events we attend each year is a full four hours of standing in cocktail attire plus a half mile of walking to get into and out of the venue. I've taken to wearing either a pantsuit or maxi skirt with blinged out top so I can get away with flats or a low heel. I save the high heels for things that are mostly seated.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I would not be caught dead in flats. The heal must be at least 3 in. I have two plates and 10 screws in one leg/foot. I even wore two inch heals the entire 6 months I was in a full leg cast. I would walk out of the house shirtless before I would walk out of the house in flats.

Haha - now that's dedication!! I also love to wear heels and wear them to dinner each night. Yes, my feet hurt by the end but since my daily wear is sneakers, I like dressing nicely on cruises. Actually, nowadays wearing flats would kill my plantar faciitis so I would be in more pain in pretty flats.

I would not be caught dead in flats. The heal must be at least 3 in. I have two plates and 10 screws in one leg/foot. I even wore two inch heals the entire 6 months I was in a full leg cast. I would walk out of the house shirtless before I would walk out of the house in flats.

I stand in awe… Some of my screws keep my ankle from moving too much, hence the no-heels… I was in casts from toes to knee for 4 months (in the dead of winter), 2 surgeries and a year of rehab. But, I had kick-ass-looking legs after that rehab :p How did you attach your 2-inch heel to your cast??? I had my cast done black "in case I had to go to a formal event"!!! I was wearing a Sorel on the other foot all winter.

Edited by slidergirl

Oh wow! Now that is dedication!

I am not that dedicated. I will wear heels in the evenings for dinner since we will be sitting most of the time, but I'm all about comfort if I'm going to be walking and/or standing a lot. Heels do make your legs and butt look better but sometimes its just not worth it to me! LOL!