Booking with a TA as aposed to booking on the website

jzad

Good morning all,

I wonder if anyone could tell me why the preference for booking a cruise is with a travel agent instead of booking directly on the website? I know there is lots of talk about it I was just curious to the reasons behind it.

thank you so much!:confused:

Good morning all,

I wonder if anyone could tell me why the preference for booking a cruise is with a travel agent instead of booking directly on the website? I know there is lots of talk about it I was just curious to the reasons behind it.

Very often you can receive perks from the TA when using them; i.e. prepaid tips, shipboard credit, gifts.

In addition to the tangible perks (OBC, etc.), a TA is your representative to the cruise line and will, on your behalf, pursue any issues or booking changes you need. At least, ours does - any questions or issues we have, I just call her and she's on it right away. I don't have to call or email anyone else and hope they respond. Booking on your own does give you a certain amount of freedom but there's also the responsibility of doing all your own follow up on any details that need to be taken care of or corrected.

Edited by joepeka

I know OP was why TA prefer over RCL on-line, I prefer RCL on-line over TA. Two main reasons. (1) Not sure what TAs others are using, but ones I've used and looked at, do not allow combination with Next Cruise Credit, if you are using them. (2) TAs are not available after-hours and weekends. I've had several price drops in after-hours that were no longer available Monday morning or even the next day. Always have been able to get through to RCL and make a room change or upgrade, while with TA room or upgrade was gone before I could get a hold of them.

There has been some TA promotions that were better than NCC, but they seem to be far between in my own experience. Currently booked thru both, but have been shifting to RCL on-line.

I know OP was why TA prefer over RCL on-line, I prefer RCL on-line over TA. Two main reasons. (1) Not sure what TAs others are using, but ones I've used and looked at, do not allow combination with Next Cruise Credit, if you are using them. (2) TAs are not available after-hours and weekends. I've had several price drops in after-hours that were no longer available Monday morning or even the next day. Always have been able to get through to RCL and make a room change or upgrade, while with TA room or upgrade was gone before I could get a hold of them.

There has been some TA promotions that were better than NCC, but they seem to be far between in my own experience. Currently booked thru both, but have been shifting to RCL on-line.

Thank you! Apparently I just need a new TA because I never get anything free except maybe a bottle of wine. I have never been offered OBC or Free Gratuities from my TA....Lots to consider. thank you!

Good morning all,

I am starting to think that using a TA should depend on each particular cruise. For an inexpensive cruise where the TA can't discount, it may not be advisable. Yes, you get OBC or some such perk, but if the price drops, often the OBC drops and it's not always possible to reach the TA to take advantage of each drop. On a cruise line that does allow discounting, it is good. On an expensive cruise, the massive amounts of OBC, make it VERY advisable. We are actually getting a $900 per cabin rebate after a Galapagos cruise because everything is included with no need for OBC. I check for price drops every day and often twice a day. I also check availability. No TA will be that conscientious. I just saved ourselves and my son hundreds of dollars on the Jewel next summer because all of a sudden a NJ rate (and military) appeared. I was especially happy for my son who booked 2 cabins! A few months ago on Princess we got upgraded from interior to balcony because of low occupancy and price drop after final payment. I advocated for myself, bypassing the TA and asking for a supervisor when the agent told me to call my TA!

this will be my last time using a TA... my last two cruises i have got ZERO perks from them. Plus when we want to change something on our cruise we have to get out ta to call and do it.. Since we are not allowed too.. which is totally stupid.. i want to control my own reservation... and not have to depend on someone else to fix stuff for me

This is a widely discussed subject. Booking with the Cruise lines, you can reach someone 24/7, make changes , but still should monitor your own booking, watch for price drops. An excellant TA and they are there, we use a local one, will watch out for you should there be a problem and will have more pull in solving any issues. I can contact our TA on a Weekend and she monitors her emails and will get back to right away, no waiting until Monday. If choosing a TA, ask how they handle your payments to the Cruise lines, they should authorize the cruise lines to charge your credit card, if the TA charges your CC and pays the lines, Walk Away. Make sure they give you a statment showing all payments and Balances, ask about their cancellation policies, some charge a fee. Either way you go, stay with what works for you and your satisfied with the service. TA's can not lower the prices but they can commpensate you in other ways. An excellant TA is their to provide a service and not nickle and dime you with added fees.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

this will be my last time using a TA... my last two cruises i have got ZERO perks from them. Plus when we want to change something on our cruise we have to get out ta to call and do it.. Since we are not allowed too.. which is totally stupid.. i want to control my own reservation... and not have to depend on someone else to fix stuff for me

There are good travel agents who give good service and good perks for booking with them. I have never had a problem getting a response from my agent on weekends. I once emailed her after 11pm on a Sunday and had a response within 30 minutes. I actually hadn't expected a response until the following morning. :)

She gives me 10% of the cruise fare back in shipboard credit. If, the cruise fare is $10,000, I will receive $1,000., in shipboard credit.

If my agent stops giving sb credit, I will either look for a new agent or book directly with the cruiseline. IMHO, a good agent shows they appreciate your business.

This is a widely discussed subject. Booking with the Cruise lines, you can reach someone 24/7, make changes , but still should monitor your own booking, watch for price drops. An excellant TA and they are there, we use a local one, will watch out for you should there be a problem and will have more pull in solving any issues. I can contact our TA on a Weekend and she monitors her emails and will get back to right away, no waiting until Monday. If choosing a TA, ask how they handle your payments to the Cruise lines, they should authorize the cruise lines to charge your credit card, if the TA charges your CC and pays the lines, Walk Away. Make sure they give you a statment showing all payments and Balances, ask about their cancellation policies, some charge a fee. Either way you go, stay with what works for you and your satisfied with the service. TA's can not lower the prices but they can commpensate you in other ways. An excellant TA is their to provide a service and not nickle and dime you with added fees.

Thank you! Excellent information!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are good travel agents who give good service and good perks for booking with them. I have never had a problem getting a response from my agent on weekends. I once emailed her after 11pm on a Sunday and had a response within 30 minutes. I actually hadn't expected a response until the following morning. :)

She gives me 10% of the cruise fare back in shipboard credit. If' date=' the cruise fare is $10,000, I will receive $1,000., in shipboard credit.

If my agent stops giving sb credit, I will either look for a new agent or book directly with the cruiseline. IMHO, a good agent shows they appreciate your business.[/quote']

Wow!!! Who do you use?

I've use TA's in the past by now do it myself. I find the website relatively easy to use and the rare times I have to call it's very quick and the RCCL agents are very helpful.

Now if you have a very good TA with perks, and/or you have a complex travel situation and/or you're not comfortable using the web for flights, hotels etc then a TA may be best.

Overall I think a TA is a bit of a gamble, you may do much better, but you may do much worse (I've read some horror stories here let me tell you.)

If you can eliminate the risk via a trusted friend's recommendation, a TA may be great.

Wow!!! Who do you use?

I really wish I could tell you but Cruise Critic won't allow it. ;) I actually started booking with her when she was the agent for a group cruise I booked. Usually, a group will use the same agent each time, unless they've had a bad experience.

Before you book with a new agent, look up their name online. If, someone has had a bad experience, they may post it. Also, try to get referrals from family and friends.

jzad, thank you, I suppose many would ask me why I use one, especially when I research everything in advance and know walking into our TA's office where we want to go and cabin location. I know we will be getting honest and excellant service as well as a a good price and happy with that. I am going to be giving someone our business, either the Cruiseline Agents or our TA, and prefer to give to our TA because of the service we have received over the years. I can go to she or an associate and receive the same service.

I am fully away of those horrow stories from reading here and a friends experience so it is unfortunate that a few bad TA's give a bad name to the whole business.

I really wish I could tell you but Cruise Critic won't allow it. ;) I actually started booking with her when she was the agent for a group cruise I booked. Usually' date=' a group will use the same agent each time, unless they've had a bad experience.

Before you book with a new agent, look up their name online. If, someone has had a bad experience, they may post it. Also, try to get referrals from family and friends.[/quote']

Thank you! Rules are rules and that's ok! I'm appreciating all the input anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app