a suggestion re: Platinum free dinners

gooch47

and if you buy the Ultimate Dining Package and you are platinum, the certificate to Le Bistro is worthless.....hoping they change that soon...

this is one of the reasons we are not buying the UDP. We have our 2 free dinners in specialty dining rooms: add a couple more alternative dining experiences and we are content to eat the rest of the dinners in main dining rooms. In fact on our last cruise (11days) we ended up eating in the sports bar one night cause we wanted to watch the Dallas football game and we ate an early dinner (late afternoon) one day in the Great Outdoors so we could watch football in the sports bar. Then another night, we did, what we have only done a couple of times, we ate at the buffet one night. I don't remember why. Anyway, we had plenty of variety. I am very happy to keep the UDP the way it is and continue to get our 2 freebies plus pay a little for another couple of dining experiences. For those who want to eat in specialty dining rooms every night, that is fine, but no program can work perfectly for everyone.

Edited by newmexicoNita

On the Breakaway this month, I asked if we could pay the extra money and use the free Platinum dinner in Teppanyaki. I was told no.

Yes, that is the exact reason why OP started this thread - to suggest a change.

ETA:

Seriously. People just can't be happy for getting what is offered to them?

My thoughts exactly - if there were changes similar to this actually happening, I think that a lot more people would benefit from the possibility to use UBP as payment for mixed drinks up to $8.50 and pay the rest instead of current procedure of having to pay the over $8.50 drink completely.

Edited by Demonyte

• 4 weeks later...
how about giving a choice of an extra free laundry, 30 mins of internet minutes or a spa treatment?

I don't do laundry on a ship. Could I swap that perk for an extra meal instead?

The thing to remember is that one of the reasons why there is a list of perks, rather than just one thing, is so that there is something for everyone. I doubt that many people actually use all of them, but most people will find a few things they do want.

In your case, the meal is not necessary, but you still get all the other things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how about giving a choice of an extra free laundry, 30 mins of internet minutes or a spa treatment?

With both of us Platinum we already get two free bags of laundry....that's plenty for us.

I already get the perk of 30 free internet minutes for being Platinum and many people don't opt to get internet.

Spa treatment? CAS always provides that for me.

I'm happy with the way things are, actually.

Harriet

With both of us Platinum we already get two free bags of laundry....that's plenty for us.

I already get the perk of 30 free internet minutes for being Platinum and many people don't opt to get internet.

Spa treatment? CAS always provides that for me.

I'm happy with the way things are, actually.

Harriet

I've been platinum for a while and have never gotten 30 free internet minutes. There is a benefit for all Latitudes members regardless of level for 30 free internet minutes with the purchase of a 250 minute internet package.

I've been platinum for a while and have never gotten 30 free internet minutes. There is a benefit for all Latitudes members regardless of level for 30 free internet minutes with the purchase of a 250 minute internet package.

My mistake. Yes, it's 30 additional free minutes with the purchase of a 250 internet package.

Harriet

My mistake. Yes, it's 30 additional free minutes with the purchase of a 250 internet package.

Harriet

And the perk is 20 minutes, not 30. ;)

I buy this package every trip, and have been platinum for a few cruises now.... always have gotten a 20 minute bonus.

I buy this package every trip, and have been platinum for a few cruises now.... always have gotten a 20 minute bonus.

30 minutes per NCL's website:

http://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards/rewards-points-and-benefits

Onboard Discounts:

10% discount at Duty-Free Shop on all Norwegian Logo merchandise, good for one purchase only. Cannot be combined with another additional discount or coupon. On Pride of America only, 10% discount on any item excluding sale items, alcohol, tobacco and onboard entertainer products (including their CDs and DVDs); Free work of art for attending art auction; 30 free minutes with 250-minute internet package purchase; 15 free minutes with 100-minute internet package purchase

That's not correct. They always have a 'sign up today' bonus of 20 minutes. However, there is a Platinum benefit for 30 bonus minutes if you purchase a 250 min. plan. I always have to show them the perk as they always insist it's 20 min.

I remember when...not to long ago.....when we could combine them. As a matter of fact, in October I was able to get the sign up bonus of 20 extra minutes AND the Platinum bonus of 30 bonus minutes. On my Jan/Feb. cruise there is now a note that bonus minutes are not combinable.

Harriet

I remember when...not to long ago.....when we could combine them. As a matter of fact, in October I was able to get the sign up bonus of 20 extra minutes AND the Platinum bonus of 30 bonus minutes. On my Jan/Feb. cruise there is now a note that bonus minutes are not combinable.

Sounds like yet another cutback. How thin can they spread the paint...

So the free dinner for Platinum cruisers is for ANY dining venue under $20?

I had thought I'd read that it was a dinner for two, specifically at Le Bistro...

I know our upcoming cruise will be my Parents first as Platinum and they would probably prefer the Italian restaurant...

Now if they both turn Platinum this cruise, do they each get a free dinner for two, or just one dinner for the cabin?

As for the OPs thought, I agree you should be able to just pay the difference to eat at one of the more expensive venues. (although NCL might intentionally set that threshold, to keep everybody from not choosing Tepanyaki, which sounds like it is tough enough to get a reservation, without having a bunch free meals hogging the reservations)

Bill

or free dinner last time listed Le Bistro or Modernos. I have heard it can be used for any restaurant that is no more than the price in Le Bistro. We are going to split ours next cruise. Yes, it would be nice if you could apply it to any specialty dining room. For us it wouldn't make a difference because our 2 favorites are Le Bistro and Modernos though we were a little disappointed in Le Bistro on the Sun.

That's not correct. They always have a 'sign up today' bonus of 20 minutes. However, there is a Platinum benefit for 30 bonus minutes if you purchase a 250 min. plan. I always have to show them the perk as they always insist it's 20 min.

Harriet

thanks Harriet, that's been my experience too. Guess I'll print-out the perk list. :)

Harriet

Just looking at your cruise history, don't book hotel or air more than 6 months in advance for the Pearl, that ship has a good chance to be chartered. Seems to happen every Jan/Feb, got us last year.

Just looking at your cruise history, don't book hotel or air more than 6 months in advance for the Pearl, that ship has a good chance to be chartered. Seems to happen every Jan/Feb, got us last year.

unfortunately I'm well aware of this. Have been on the Pearl before without any problems. Then book a cruise for October 2014, which has been cancelled do it the ship being charted. Rebooked for January 2015 and there is talk that it's been chartered out. Called NCL and they say they have no information about it.

We'll see.

Only reason I want this cruise is because I would like to go to St. Lucia!

Harriet

DH and I (both platinum) have two free dinners and a bottle of wine certificates. We use one at Le Bistro (which we love) and on our last cruise we used it at Shanghai's. We could have used it at the Italian, Moderno or any pay restaurant except the restaurants that cost more than Le Bistro.

The UDP is still a good deal on a 7 day cruise if you want to eat in say Cagneys or Tepanyaki several times and remember anything on the menu is included, so none of the "upcharge" for say the lobster or a specialty dish - just read the faqs at the NCL website.

We don't want to eat in a specialty restaurant every night, but if you did like to do that, and you already had 2 free specialty dinners, it would still be a good deal IMP.

Only reason I want this cruise is because I would like to go to St. Lucia!

Harriet

On our recent 12 day to Barbados, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Martin, St Kitts, and St. Lucia, St. Lucia was my favorite. Really pretty island. Hope you get to go there too.

Stephen

On our recent 12 day to Barbados, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Martin, St Kitts, and St. Lucia, St. Lucia was my favorite. Really pretty island. Hope you get to go there too.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen......I hope so too!

Harriet