Wash Your Hands, often and with hot water and soap!

kangforpres

Indeed Noro can survive up to 140 degrees- likely our hands wouldn't under temperatures that high (140 degrees for about 5 seconds will be a third degree burn). Washing thoroughly ("happy birthday" song twice) with plenty of soap and warm water will flush the virus down the drain where it can be sanitized. If you sing the song out loud you will get some interesting looks from people :D

I couldn't couldn't count how many times I've seen people just walk out of the bathroom and past sinks. Or rinse their hands under cold water for a second and grab a paper towel.

Noro would be so easy to stop if everyone just used common sense.

Edited by frankc98376

We always have "Wet Ones" wipes in our pockets. Use them on the plane, in hotels, and our hands. Evidently Wet Ones do kill Noro.

That's the ones I always use - and I believe someone here on the board said they are ineffective against noro. But I figure anything is better than nothing, in conjunction with frequent hand-washing.

That's the ones I always use - and I believe someone here on the board said they are ineffective against noro. But I figure anything is better than nothing, in conjunction with frequent hand-washing.

Supposedly if wipes contain Benzethonium Chloride they will kill the virus- alcohol just spreads it on your hands. I know chlorine (bleach) kills it).

Sounds like we will get to meet when we board in San Diego on May 6. Hopefully we are all healthy and happy!

Edited by frankc98376

Supposedly if wipes contain Benzethonium Chloride they will kill the virus- alcohol just spreads it on your hands. I know chlorine (bleach) kills it).

Sounds like we will get to meet when we board in San Diego on May 6. Hopefully we are all healthy and happy!

Think positively - and of course we will be.:D We'll keep the ship in good shape for you - we board in FLL.

Sorry, benzethonium chloride has been tested and it does not kill norovirus. There is a related compound known as benzalkonium chloride (often found in foaming hand sanitizers) that has been shown in one research paper to kill norovirus, but it apparently requires that you leave it on the surface for at least 2 hours. Also, my research shows that the company that makes Wet Ones have never tested them against the norovirus.

I couldn't couldn't count how many times I've seen people just walk out of the bathroom and past sinks. Or rinse their hands under cold water for a second and grab a paper towel.

Noro would be so easy to stop if everyone just used common sense.

Here is some common sense - you can't get norovirus from touching yourself. For a guy, it is possible in many bathrooms to empty their bladder without touching any surfaces that someone else has touched. When that has been accomplished, you have a larger risk of contracting a disease by touching the faucets, towel dispenser, etc., that you have just walking out.

I certainly agree that if you need to touch anything in the bathroom, then the hot water and long hand washing is the way to go. And, of course, if you are doing anything that requires "sitting", then you need the hand washing to protect others as well as yourself, in case you have, or are incubating, an intestinal germ.

Frank, MD

Here is some common sense - you can't get norovirus from touching yourself. For a guy, it is possible in many bathrooms to empty their bladder without touching any surfaces that someone else has touched. When that has been accomplished, you have a larger risk of contracting a disease by touching the faucets, towel dispenser, etc., that you have just walking out.

I certainly agree that if you need to touch anything in the bathroom, then the hot water and long hand washing is the way to go. And, of course, if you are doing anything that requires "sitting", then you need the hand washing to protect others as well as yourself, in case you have, or are incubating, an intestinal germ.

Frank, MD

Well, you still touched the door knob to get into the bathroom (use a paper towel to open it on the way out) and you possibly flushed, not to mention that after touching yourself you will be touching things other people, whom you can infect, will touch. So please wash your hands after using public restrooms.

Well, you still touched the door knob to get into the bathroom (use a paper towel to open it on the way out) and you possibly flushed, not to mention that after touching yourself you will be touching things other people, whom you can infect, will touch. So please wash your hands after using public restrooms.

Not to be argumentative, but..... many bathrooms are designed without doors (e.g. airports where there are two offset entrances so no one can see inside) or have swinging doors that you can push with your hip. Most modern men's urinals are self flushing. The only germs living on a man's genitalia would be the "normal" skin bacteria that are on hands, face, etc., and are not removed by hand washing. There are no diseases transmitted the way you are describe. It may make others feel better if they see someone washing their hands but it will not reduce transmission of norovirus in this specific set of circumstances.

My personal peeve about germ transmission is hand railings. I guess it is better to use them if the alternative is falling and breaking your hip, but I have travelled on many tours all over the world without getting sick by avoiding hand railings when many fellow passengers got the respiratory virus that was brought on by one fellow passenger at the start. No one washes heir hands before getting up from their seat on the tour bus - I wish they would.

Wash your hands with hot water and soap each time you return to your cabin.

Typhoon beat me to this one. I think we all have a feeling of safety once we cross the threshold into our own cabin. Well, that safety doesn't exist if you've carried a germ in with you.

Per the EPA- Hydrogen Peroxide products kill Noro Virus. Clorox makes Peroxide wipes that claim to kill the virus quickly. Just need to see if they are ok on skin too- don't see why not- just mild Peroxide. I saw them for sale at the "big" web store

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-healthcare-hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner-disinfectants/at-a-glance/?gclid=CIz28IPlp7wCFaU5Qgodg24Arw

Edited by frankc98376