Is the aft penthouse balcony on the Dawn worth it?

cmoose

Sailng in June with my 14 year old daughter on the Dawn. I have been scouring the web looking at what little pics/video there is of our cabin, corner aft penthouse balcony deck 10. Honestly it doesn't seem that much bigger than a regular balcony cabin. I know that there are other perks with this suite and the balcony is larger, but I'm really just asking about the cabin itself. Is it worth the extra cost?

Also this will be our first cruise and we are both a little concerned about getting sea sick. We will totally take meds but wondering about the aft cabin and movement.

Any advice would be great.

While the corner suite is a bit smaller than the ones in the middle, I still think that you'll get significantly more room than in regular balcony cabin and what is most important to me, more storage/vanity space and a proper table for eating.

Whether or not the suite is worth it, you need to decide yourself. Personally I'd rather choose SJ suite (that is cheaper and larger but has no balcony) over the SF you are thinking about. While it's lacking the balcony, SJ suites are located very conviniently close to the sun deck etc so the missing balcony didn't bother me or my balcony-loving GF that much and we both loved, loved, loved the floor-to-ceiling windows with amazing views.

When we originally were planning our upcoming cruise on Dawn we briefly pondered between regular balcony or mini-suite and SJ suite but with very small price difference the suite perks made it a no-brainer for us to choose the suite (later we decided to share the top suite with two other couples).

Edited by Demonyte

We have been in the aft penthouse on sister ships... And loved it!!!! I am a seasick prone cruiser and i was ok... Only felt a little sick one of 12 nights when we went thru a storm. The motion you did feel is up and down more than side to side that i usually feel in midship cabins which for me was less nausea. The room and balcony are large... More dressing area space also a table for four to eat... Very comfy big bed. We have booked the sf again on our upcoming dawn trip. We also considered the sj but i love fresh air and was worried it could get stuffy.

Thanks for your replay- so the corner suite is smaller??? Do you by how much? Aren't those SJ suites in the front of the ship? I would be concerned about more motion???

I might have to take the mention about the size of different SF suites back, when I tried to find exact info, I found that after all it might be so that only the balcony is a bit bigger in the middle because of the shape of the aft of the ship.

Yes, SJ suites are all in the first third of the ship. I too suffer from motion sickness sometimes if the weather is rough (on most of our cruises we have had calm seas) but taking Bonine in advance has helped me very well (if one takes it when they are already nauseous, it's too late and takes time for the medicine to help).

Are suites worth it?

Yes and no. All depends.

Overall, the vast majority of people do not think it is worth it. If they did, they would all sell out quickly. In reality, at a few months out, most cruises still have some suites available. Our next cruise only has mini suites and suites left right now. No balcony or inside or OV.

Suites are great. Extra room. Extra perks. Etc.

We have been on the Dawn 4 times, twice in an aft suite. LOVE IT! and we never got the 10th deck which has the bigger balconies. Honestly don't feel any more motion that in the middle. I'm a little leery of the forward suites cause I always notice more motion at the theater, which is in the forward section. Would book an aft suite on the Dawn in a minute. Actually have one booked for August but am going to have to cancel cause our darling granddaughter is getting married that weekend. :(

We were in 10728 on the Dawn and have been in 10666 on the Pearl and will be back in 10666 on the Jewel in March. We absolutely LOVE that cabin and location.

First off if you are concerned about motion sickness just my opinion this location is far better to be in compared to those way far forward. Believe it or not I get motion sick especially in a car but after many cruises I am not longer bothered with motion sickness on a ship unless I am way far forward. I suggest taking Bonine, an over the counter medication that really works great plus you can drink with it with no effects nor does it make you sleepy.

OK the SF Suite on the aft. Yes it is much larger it is 314 sq and the balcony is 134 sq ft compared to a regular balcony cabin that has just 166 sq ft and 37 sq ft balcony. Or Mini Suite that is 229 Sq Ft and balcony of 54 sq ft. Although my only warning is once you have had a Suite with NCL it will be hard to step back down :o For years I booked nothing but Suites on other lines such as Holland America but things change and so did my budget that my last HAL cruise I chose an Ocean View but then it was over New Years when things are drastically higher. But that being said. I will probably always spend the money for the aft Suite on NCL :D

While it has been a year in November since we were on the Dawn these are my picture of the cabin. I really think you will not be dissappointed.

NorwegianDawnWCaribbeanNov11-182012205_zps95bcd424.jpg

NorwegianDawnWCaribbeanNov11-182012006_zps738dc272.jpg

827c9389-d070-4d8a-a2e0-b72f777fb771_zps56a992f6.jpg

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Motion in the aft is not too bad on the Dawn. The SJ categories are on 12 forward and would have more motion than 10 aft generally. The other thing is it looks like you are on a Bermuda sailing so if the ship were to back into dock then you would have a great view of the island.

We've enjoyed both the forward and aft suites and prefer the aft. Those were on both the Dawn and sister ship, the Star. Aft suites were formerly known as "honeymoon suites" and given the privacy, were aptly named, especially if you like to sunbath au natural or other things out on the balcony.

For two, the aft suites are perfect in size and the suite benefits make it a no-brainer. We have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and consider the upcharge worth every penny. A word of caution, some think the noise from the Spinnaker Lounge on 7 makes the suites above them on 8 problematic. Go 9 or 10 if you want quiet. We did a forward suite last year and although the view and larger balcony were fantastic, the privacy of an aft suite trumps the view. We found we didn't use the forward balcony nearly as much as the aft balcony.

We consider the aft balcony a viable alternative to dealing with chair hogs by the pool and we'd never consider using the human soup, a/k/a the hot tubs, ugh nasty I don't care how much chlorine they dump in them. As the late southern humorist, Lewis Grizzard, said, "Never wash your face with water you sat in." Now ramp that up a couple quantum leaps.

Thanks for all your replies. It will just be my 14 year old daughter and I as hubby now can't go. I feel a little guilty keeping the suite, but may have to just get over it...LOL. I am a total room snob, for me it's not just a place to sleep. Still weighing our options, so thanks again for the input!!

There are people that TOTALLY love the after suites/cabins. We are not so much in favor of them.

I do tend to get motion sickness from time to time, but seem to do find with over the counter pills. One of things I do not like about aft that contributes to my motion "thing" is the vibration you sometimes get from the engines/props in the back.

Just me. Does not bother most.

There are people that TOTALLY love the after suites/cabins. We are not so much in favor of them.

I do tend to get motion sickness from time to time, but seem to do find with over the counter pills. One of things I do not like about aft that contributes to my motion "thing" is the vibration you sometimes get from the engines/props in the back.

Just me. Does not bother most.

We've had aft suites on both the Dawn and sister ship Star and never felt any vibration. I believe the Dawn class ships utilize azipods which are electric outboard motors attached via an extension to the ship's hull. The azipods serve as propulsion and steering devices. On our first trip on the Dawn, when returning to Miami, it turned itself around in nearly its own length in the channel end without benefit of tugs. On the Sun, which has regular shaft drive and bow thrusters, it shook like crazy when attempting the same move in Miami and we were on a mid ship balcony.

It is SO worth it! We did our first cruise ever on the Dawn a could weeks ago in an aft corner suite on deck 9 (9232) and I LOVED it! Beautiful views, butler, and concierge. Goodies in our cabin every afternoon, and they always kept fresh fruit in our cabin as well. We did feel some movement, but was more of a gentle swaying that seemed it put us to sleep at night, like being rocked to sleep lol. The suite perks are awesome (I am now spoiled and do only want to cruise in suites now because of this wonderful experience :p), especially breakfast and lunch at Cagney's. Another benefit of these rooms is that the bakery is below, and when you step out onto your balcony, and take a deep breath, you can smell the yummyness :D. Another nice thing about a corner suite is that you only have neighbors on one side and they are away from traffic so very quiet too.

We've had aft suites on both the Dawn and sister ship Star and never felt any vibration. I believe the Dawn class ships utilize azipods which are electric outboard motors attached via an extension to the ship's hull. The azipods serve as propulsion and steering devices. On our first trip on the Dawn, when returning to Miami, it turned itself around in nearly its own length in the channel end without benefit of tugs. On the Sun, which has regular shaft drive and bow thrusters, it shook like crazy when attempting the same move in Miami and we were on a mid ship balcony.

I totally agree on both the Dawn and Star as well as the Pearl I was on they were probably the smoothest aft cabins I have ever had, other cruise ships yes do definitely have a vibration but I can tell you the aft on the Dawn truly had little to no motion.

Certainly appreciate the comments about the aft suites on the Dawn as we are considering this cruise for our next NCL vacation. My concern however is the often mentioned "chair hogs". Perhaps we were spoiled by the Haven and Posh Sun Deck on our September Epic cruise last year so my question is, is there anything comparable on the Dawn or are we only guaranteed a lounge on our own balcony?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

For the privacy, relaxation, your room-away-from-it-all. Not sure if you are given a dedicated chair. But who cares? you have your own balcony to lounge on.

go for aft. my wife and i had our honeymoon in 10728 a few years back. i'm sure it's still just as good if not better:

pictures are included

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487780

Edited by simply_commenting
adding more

We found that the Dawn has plenty of loungers - we were never in a situation where we couldn't find one last July, when we were on a "budget" and went inside. There are lots of nooks and crannies on the Dawn with loungers. It might be a bit more difficult if you want to be right by the pool, but if you're just content to be out there in the sun, I really think you'll be fine.

Hi Cmoose

This July will be my third time on the Dawn. Started out in balcony, last summer mini suite, this summer aft suite. If money isn't an issue, I'd say go for it. Not sure what your cruising history is, but on Dawn mini's and above are the only categories with tubs which makes it tremendously easier if there's going to be any leg shaving going on in the shower. I can only travel in the summer and my experience on the Dawn is that by 10:30 AM it's VERY difficult to find two loungers together. The ship is packed in the summer. Many people bring large families. I'm curious as to what the stated number of passengers is for the ship compared to the number she sails with in the summer using 3rd and 4th berths. I'm not a huge fan of crowds either. I'm so looking forward to the peace of the aft balcony.

Try searching this site for Dawn and your cabin number. Many thoughtful people have posted photos of everything you'd want to see in your cabin and balcony.