Pinnacle Class Rendering

eroller

Are you describing something like the Oceania Riviera, where there are only emergency exits to the "boat" deck, with a narrow walkway to the escape vessel?

Hi Ruth,

Yes, I'm thinking something very similar to Oceania's MARINA and RIVIERA which have adapted the "nestled" lifeboat approach. It seems accountants (and I suppose ship designers) feel that with such a large percentage of balcony cabins, a public promenade deck has become redundant and is no longer necessary. Personally I don't agree.

Ernie

Hi Ruth,

Yes, I'm thinking something very similar to Oceania's MARINA and RIVIERA which have adapted the "nestled" lifeboat approach. It seems accountants (and I suppose ship designers) feel that with such a large percentage of balcony cabins, a public promenade deck has become redundant and is no longer necessary. Personally I don't agree.

Ernie

Thank you for replying. Since I've sailed the Riviera I can picture precisely what you are describing.

On that ship, were it not for the occasional pulled back drapery, from the occasional window, I would not have known there was a narrow walkway out there. That's how unobtrusive it is.

How sad that there may not be a proper promenade. I always use the promenade deck for my daily exercise. Walking on the treadmill can be tricky when the ship is sailing because there is so much movement in the forward area of the ship. I find it much safer to walk on the deck.

How sad that there may not be a proper promenade. I always use the promenade deck for my daily exercise. Walking on the treadmill can be tricky when the ship is sailing because there is so much movement in the forward area of the ship. I find it much safer to walk on the deck.

Really? Oh that's bad news - the thing I love about HAL is the wrap-around promenade deck. I try to walk about 7 km a day, even on cruises, and not having to go up and down again, as on some other lines, is a bonus. I do use the treadmill when the weather is really bad, though - it can be quite an adventure:D. Though no worse than trying to dodge the idiots who insist on jogging on the promenade deck in spite of the signage - especially those going the wrong way around.;)

Hi Ruth,

It seems accountants (and I suppose ship designers) feel that with such a large percentage of balcony cabins, a public promenade deck has become redundant and is no longer necessary. Personally I don't agree.

Ernie

Bean counters do not "feel".

They want more balconies, so they destroy promenade deck in cold blood.

Promenade deck on a cruise ship has never been and will never be redundant.

It's always necessary. It is what makes ship a ship.

Balconies cannot substitute promenade deck.

Different things, different purpose, different experience.

I had a closer look at the Oceania Marina. What a poor floating box in comparison with best HAL , RCI, Princess ships!

Get tired of the nasty comments made about "bean counters". It's generally the upper management that says what it wants and the "bean counters" oblige. I can assure you we do feel :rolleyes:. So rude!

Edited by cruz chic

My thoughts exactly. Things can change compared to computer renderings.

I'm going to remain optimistic too. We have a precedent with the Regal Princess, Royal Princess's sister ship still under construction. Listening to customer feedback, PCL announced in November that Regal will be redesigned to feature a promenade deck.

As many here can agree, a wraparound promenade IS Holland America.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not that simple.

The latest "masterpiece" Royal Princess is let's say going "back to shipyard", as announced.

Unprecedented in modern shipbuilding history.

But it't true that finally the top person is responsible for everything.

What does this post mean? Going back to the shipyard?

I'm going to remain optimistic too. We have a precedent with the Regal Princess, Royal Princess's sister ship still under construction. Listening to customer feedback, PCL announced in November that Regal will be redesigned to feature a promenade deck.

As many here can agree, a wraparound promenade IS Holland America.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's remain optimistic.

Cruising is a pleasure.

Let's remain optimistic.

Cruising is a pleasure.

Cruising is always a pleasure on the right ship no question:D

When we see the crew to passenger ratios that will tell a lot - if it is like the signature ships - we will most likely pass;)

If the classy HAL ships remain we will sail those and if not, there others that abound - possibly a step up but if Prinsendam disappears the pricing differential is not that high ;)

smooth seas:D

Actually it was an understatement.

In fact, it's unprecedented - probably since 1913 (SS Imperator).

However, in that case it was purely engineering fiasco.

In case of the RP those who handicapped the ship are from a different department.

Just to be clear on this, ROYAL PRINCESS does have a so-called "Promenade Deck", but it's exactly as described earlier in this thread being a narrow walkway behind the lifeboats with no view and no seating. Currently the narrow walkways are crew-only so you really can't "stroll" the promenade. There are a couple spots midship and aft where there is a break in the lifeboats that have a sea view and seating areas. Unfortunately in no way is it a traditional promenade deck that seasoned cruisers have come to expect. What Princess will do with REGAL, is simply open up that narrow walkway behind the boats to passengers which is currently crew-only on ROYAL. Eventually the space on ROYAL will be opened up to passengers as well during her first dry-dock. Unfortunately nothing is being redesigned and it will be a pretty pitiful promenade deck, but I suppose better than what is currently available to passengers. Attached is a pic I took to show you the exact space that will be opened to passengers. As you can see it's not much.

Ernie

10938946793_f0c14f6d1c_b.jpg