Guest Choir

HAM

I joined the guest choir on Eclipse in May 2012. We rehearsed on every sea day and at the end of the cruise we performed the lion king in the crew/guest/officers show in the theatre. As it was the Queens jubilee we also sang the national anthem. There must have been about 50 of us, with a good mix of SATB.

There are plenty of you tube clips of choirs on board. This is ours:

We were conducted by Michael from the entertainment team - he was amazing and one of the ships pianists accompanied us.

We were on the Eclipse TA last April/May (2013) and there was a guest choir. The a capella group led the choir & conducted rehearsals. There were about 1-hour rehearsals every sea day, so it was a commitment.

Since there aren't currently a capella groups on the ships, I wonder if they'll have guest choirs. You really need someone from the entertainment crew to put a lot of time into this. You also need a lot of sea days. It just wouldn't work on a port intensive cruise. That said, I'd definitely join it again if it was on a TA or other cruise with a lot of sea days.

We have participated in several guest choirs on Celebrity, and have enjoyed them. The quality depends very much upon the leader. On the Eclipse TA last November the leader was a very talented young man from the entertainment team who set a high standard but made it enjoyable for everyone. Princess also offers a guest choir, but the songs are the same on every ship, and the leader seems to have the job assigned, rather than choosing to do it because they have some interest in music.

Sheila

I joined the guest choir on Eclipse in May 2012. We rehearsed on every sea day and at the end of the cruise we performed the lion king in the crew/guest/officers show in the theatre. As it was the Queens jubilee we also sang the national anthem. There must have been about 50 of us, with a good mix of SATB.

We were conducted by Michael from the entertainment team - he was amazing and one of the ships pianists accompanied us.

This sounds awesome! Was this planned ahead of time and you all knew each other (regular performing group) or was this group assembled from random passengers on board? How did you first hear about the opportunity, if it was the latter?

Thanks!

What a great, fun idea!!!

------or was this group assembled from random passengers on board? How did you first hear about the opportunity, if it was the latter?

Thanks!

My husband has joined the choir on our last 4 cruises.

He just keeps a close eye on the Celebrity dailies.

Our cruises on Eclipse (Med 2010 & Caribbean 2013) were port intensive, so some rehearsals were in between dinner sittings, although they were mainly on the Sea days.

Our Hawaii cruise ( Century) and Transatlantic (Infinity) were easier for rehearsals, as we had more sea days.

The performances were usually on the last sea day afternoon, at the guest concert.

This sounds awesome! Was this planned ahead of time and you all knew each other (regular performing group) or was this group assembled from random passengers on board? How did you first hear about the opportunity, if it was the latter?

Thanks!

We didn't know each other at all! I just saw it in the daily programme and went along to see what it was like and thoroughly enjoyed it!