Tables for 2 on the Queen Elizabeth

Presto2

We have been considering a Cunard cruise for some time, but not quite found the one that would suit us. Today, however, we discovered that Cunard do Fly cruises to the Med in August and were really impressed with the prices and the itineraries for 2014.

Generally, we prefer Freedom Dining on cruises, but would consider fixed dining if we could have a table for 2. I know that this sounds a little anti-social as many people love the experience of dining with their new found friends, but that is not really for us.

I'm just wondering what the tables for 2 are like on the ship - hoping that they are not like other cruise lines where you sit within inches of the table next to you.

Many thanks for your help :)

We always get a table for 2 and no I don't consider it anti-social at all!

Some tables will be within a few inches of your neighbors, but not all. We always go to the dining room shortly after embarking and check out the table location. If we don't like it (and that's happened more then once) we discuss it with the matre d' and get it changed.

One time we had to wait until the 2nd night to get exactly what we wanted, but that was ok. Another time they actually drew a new table location on our card and the table was there that night like magic.

Good luck, I know you will enjoy Cunard.

We always get a table for 2 and no I don't consider it anti-social at all!

Some tables will be within a few inches of your neighbors, but not all. We always go to the dining room shortly after embarking and check out the table location. If we don't like it (and that's happened more then once) we discuss it with the matre d' and get it changed.

One time we had to wait until the 2nd night to get exactly what we wanted, but that was ok. Another time they actually drew a new table location on our card and the table was there that night like magic.

Good luck, I know you will enjoy Cunard.

Thanks, that was quick! That is good news ---- off to look at Cunard's site now. We wouldn't be going until 2015, but researching is half the fun ! ;)

We were on the Queen Elizabeth spring 2013 and observed a number of tables for two in the MDR.

Some of these were definitely placed close to other tables. A few were located with more isolation, but some of these "isolated tables" were possibly in--what might be considered--less desirable spots.

Why don't you call Cunard and ask if there could be a notation of your desires? When tables are assigned on the ship, maybe a more isolated setting could be assigned to you, if that was conveyed to the dining room in advance.

You would have more choices in the Grills, but I think your wishes could be accommodated in the MDR, if you are clear about what you want.

Has anyone else had any luck after communicating this sort of request to Cunard?

We were on the Queen Elizabeth spring 2013 and observed a number of tables for two in the MDR.

Some of these were definitely placed close to other tables. A few were located with more isolation, but some of these "isolated tables" were possibly in--what might be considered--less desirable spots.

Why don't you call Cunard and ask if there could be a notation of your desires? When tables are assigned on the ship, maybe a more isolated setting could be assigned to you, if that was conveyed to the dining room in advance.

You would have more choices in the Grills, but I think your wishes could be accommodated in the MDR, if you are clear about what you want.

Has anyone else had any luck after communicating this sort of request to Cunard?

Sorry, as a newbie to Cunard, what is the Grills? Select dining ?

I'm just wondering what the tables for 2 are like on the ship - hoping that they are not like other cruise lines where you sit within inches of the table next to you.
Hi Presto2,

In the Britannia Restaurant there are many tables for two that are close to other tables, but there are some that are not. Esp near the port and starboard windows on Deck 2 (the lower level), there are several that are quite separate from others.

When you board (board as early as possible is my advice), in your cabin there will be a card with your table number on it. Go to the restaurant and ask to be shown your table (there will be a set time shortly after lunch on embarkation day when the restaurant is open for this). If you don't like the position, ask if it is possible to change, they will if they can (will depend on how full the sailing is). Please understand that they may not be able to grant your request if the ship is full or nearly so.

There are many pictures, via the link below, of the interiors of the Queen Elizabeth (including the Britannia Restauant). I hope they help get you in the mood!

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

There are some tables for two on the port side as you enter the Britannia restaurant (deck 2) that are up against the wall. I think there are three of them. I will take a stroll around the dining room tonight and see what else there might be.

We are sitting ay a table for two at the moment on the world cruise. There are lots of tables for two around the Britannia restaurant.

We are close enough to talk to out neighbours if need be, but mainly we just pass pleasant conversation and small talk. We are not to close for comfort in way. We also request a table for two at lunch time. You may have to wait for one depending on the time you go to the dining room as it is open sitting at breakfast and lunchtime.

Sorry, as a newbie to Cunard, what is the Grills? Select dining ?

Hi Presto2...I didn't want to leave you hanging with this question.

On Cunard ships there are three 'classes' (for lack of a better term). Britannia, where over 80% of the people are and then Princess Grill and Queens Grill. The 'Grills' are larger rooms or suites with their own dining rooms and lounge.

Don't be put off by this, none of this is really noticeable on the ship itself. If you'd like a suite and can afford it, then by all means check out the 'grills'. If not, you'll still have a great experience, a lovely dining room and access to all other areas of the ship.

There is a lot more information on this on Cunard's website. I almost forgot, they also have something called Britannia Club. This is just a regular size balcony room but they too have their own dining room. One of the advantages of the 'Club' or 'Grills' is that you can have dinner anytime (bet 6-9), rather then at set seating times. You also have the same table for breakfast and lunch.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Cruise NH

Having not yet sailed with Cunard, but from reading these boards and the Cunard web site, as well as other sources, I'll try to compare it simply with other cruise lines.

Inside cabins and most balcony cabins, encompassing approx. 80% of all living quarters on the ship, are assigned the MDR, i.e. the Britannia dining room. Pay a little more pp for your balcony cabin and you're assigned the Britannia Club dining area, a separate dining room just off of the MDR, with anytime dining - that is eat anytime during dining room open hours.

The third and fourth, (or the first and second), categories of cabins are essentially suites. The smaller ones are the Princess grills and the larger ones are the Queen grills. The "grills" themselves are two separate dining rooms that only the suite passengers may use. They are also anytime dining, with your own table assignment, for only you, even for breakfast or lunch. At least on the QM2, they're even on a different deck.

Did I get that right, Cap'n?

Harvey

Having not yet sailed with Cunard, but from reading these boards and the Cunard web site, as well as other sources, I'll try to compare it simply with other cruise lines.

Inside cabins and most balcony cabins, encompassing approx. 80% of all living quarters on the ship, are assigned the MDR, i.e. the Britannia dining room. Pay a little more pp for your balcony cabin and you're assigned the Britannia Club dining area, a separate dining room just off of the MDR, with anytime dining - that is eat anytime during dining room open hours.

The third and fourth, (or the first and second), categories of cabins are essentially suites. The smaller ones are the Princess grills and the larger ones are the Queen grills. The "grills" themselves are two separate dining rooms that only the suite passengers may use. They are also anytime dining, with your own table assignment, for only you, even for breakfast or lunch. At least on the QM2, they're even on a different deck.

Did I get that right, Cap'n?

Harvey

Yes, pretty much. The Britannia Club tables are also assigned to those passengers for every meal. The QG and PG restaurants are on the same deck as the King's Court buffet on QM2 but are on much higher and (in my opinion) more attractive decks on the QE and QV. The passengers in Ocean View cabins also dine in the Britannia.

Edited by capnpugwash

Pay a little more pp for your balcony cabin and you're assigned the Britannia Club dining area, a separate dining room just off of the MDR, with anytime dining - that is eat anytime during dining room open hours.

There are plenty of tables for 2 in the Club on QE. It's a good way to get anytime dining without the extra cost of the Grills.

Thank you so much every one. We've just priced up a 14 night cruise for this August out of curiosity and are very pleasantly surprised. We priced up a bog standard balcony cabin (grade not class) though ;) but it seems very nice and from what we're reading the whole experience seems to be 'us' . We won't be booking until 2015, but we are now very interested in Cunard for our next fly / cruise.

Not sure if this is ok to post on here, but we are now wondering if the family friendly ships are heaving with children in August or if it is still pretty quiet.

Similarly, flights - who do they fly with and are they direct flights from London or do they do a 'Celebrity' and stop here, there and everywhere for a cheap flight :rolleyes:

If I need to make new posts for these please let me know Moderators - thanks :)

There are plenty of tables for 2 in the Club on QE. It's a good way to get anytime dining without the extra cost of the Grills.

I've never travelled in Britannia Club and really wonder if you think that the 50% extra on the balcony fare is worth it when mostly all that you get is any time dining. Personally I think that it is just too much of an uplift. I realise that there are slight menu changes but basically they seem inconsequential to me.

We flew on a BA charter to join QE last year, it was a direct flight from Heathrow to Rome, back from Venice.

There were Manchester flights as well.

Hi, don't suppose you know if the Manchester flights were direct or not?

Thanks so much

Am now looking at the photos from pepperrn --- wow! Am smitten !

:D:D

Presto2,

Yes they were, with Jet2 I think.

Capn,

For us I think it was worth the extra, yes.

We booked a Getaway, I now can't remember what the difference was but I'm sure it wasn't 50% and as we usually book the Grills, it seemed a relative bargain !

Edited by hattie the cattie

Presto2,

Capn,

We booked a Getaway, I now can't remember what the difference was but I'm sure it wasn't 50% and as we usually book the Grills, it seemed a relative bargain !

They usually sell out quickly, I know. I wonder how many of the passengers are doing just as you are, replacing their grills experience at a good saving. It has never appealed to me though as I tend to enjoy an 8 or 10 seat table at dinner. I'm sure that there are large table in BC but the price is a big disincentive for me as well.

Presto2,

Capn,

Jet2 ------------ now I'm interested ! Had an horrific time flying with BA from Heathrow a few years back, but have never been disappointed with Jet2 !!!

Getting better and better ........... back to the photos :D;)

They usually sell out quickly, I know. I wonder how many of the passengers are doing just as you are, replacing their grills experience at a good saving. It has never appealed to me though as I tend to enjoy an 8 or 10 seat table at dinner. I'm sure that there are large table in BC but the price is a big disincentive for me as well.

The people we spoke to were either first timers or had previously travelled in Britannia- to be fair that was probably only about 10 of the people in the room ! Quite a few of them had booked early and been upgraded to BC.

Jet2 ------------ now I'm interested ! Had an horrific time flying with BA from Heathrow a few years back, but have never been disappointed with Jet2 !!!

Getting better and better ........... back to the photos :D;)

Enjoy !

Here's a QM2 Britannia dinning seating chart, shot on a recent voyage. Not to worry, Presto 2, you can see there are several tables for two about the room. As Cruise NH advises, some can be within inches of neighbors, but not all. It's easy to check after boarding, go into the room and look for your table number. If you want a change, the matre d' can accommodate you.

(Well that didn't turn out well. Having trouble uploading a photo to read large. Can anyone help? I've seen large photos posted on CruiseCritic, how can I get this larger?). :(

539854673_Screenshot2014-02-02at10_56_22AM.jpg.f3922241a71fe241af195b0558847c8a.jpg

I've never travelled in Britannia Club and really wonder if you think that the 50% extra on the balcony fare is worth it when mostly all that you get is any time dining. Personally I think that it is just too much of an uplift. I realise that there are slight menu changes but basically they seem inconsequential to me.

Talking with people onboard who were upgraded to Club, who said they would not pay the difference. Same menu as the regular MDR except you have the choice to come in between 6:30 and 9:00 pm.

To the OP, I counted about 55 tables for two on deck 2 of the Britannia restaurant - there are more on deck 3. Many of them are against a wall or a partition so you do have some privacy. The ones next to another table appeared to be about a foot apart (maybe a little more).