Ketchikan

sunflowr04

I've been looking at the excursion options in Ketchikan but none look that exciting. Is this a port where you need to book an excursion or can you just walk around? The only tour that popped out to me was the duck tour. Any recommendations? I'm looking to save money where possible, so if we don't need to book an excursion I'm fine with that. :)

I've been looking at the excursion options in Ketchikan but none look that exciting. Is this a port where you need to book an excursion or can you just walk around? The only tour that popped out to me was the duck tour. Any recommendations? I'm looking to save money where possible, so if we don't need to book an excursion I'm fine with that. :)

You can walk around town . There are a lot of interesting stores in town.

On one of the streets there a Store that sells Russian made goods . Close by is a Wildlife display . The lumberman's show is just off the dock. Still Creek is a short walk from the pier as well.

Ketchikan is on of those ports that you can do a lot without spending any money.

It's an easy town to walk around. BUT: I'd strongly recommend the "Misty Fjords" tour. It's a moderately long tour, all done on a boat, but the scenery is stunning.

Hi-

Ketchikan is great for walking around; it's compact and picturesque, with snow-capped mountains and a harbor filled with pleasure boats.

The Creek Street area, with its stream and cute shops, is a good destination.

The town overall is fabulous for shopping, with lots of shops big and small, where you can buy souvenirs or handcrafts at all different price points.

If you're interested, I've done a posting on my blog that talks about the ports of Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

We've been to Ketchikan three times.

First of all this is (in my opinion) the best place to shop for souvenirs. There are good deals and shops are really accessible right off the ship. Second don't do the Duck Tour. We did it last summer and it was really boring. I think you see and learn more if you walk around and explore yourself. The town is not big and it's fairly easy to walk around if you get a map. The totem poles are really interesting to see.

We have kayak with Southeast Kayaks in Ketchikan and it was really fun and not too much work. Great way to see things at the water level and to really get an idea of the beauty up close.

We've also gone to the Lumberjack show and found that pretty entertaining. We booked directly with the Lumberjack show online vs. the ship for a better price.

Depending on what time of year you are visiting the salmon might be running through Creek Street and that can be quite a show. :)

We went on the Misty Fjords tour last summer. It was about 5 hours long and wasn't too interesting. There were some nice areas of scenery, and they gave samples of smoked salmon which I ended up buying, but I fell asleep for most of it because it was that boring. There were lots of shops but unfortunately we only got to stop in one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We went on the Misty Fjords tour last summer. It was about 5 hours long and wasn't too interesting. There were some nice areas of scenery, and they gave samples of smoked salmon which I ended up buying, but I fell asleep for most of it because it was that boring. There were lots of shops but unfortunately we only got to stop in one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. We have been thinking about this excursion for our upcoming cruise, but I've been hesitant to book it since we have so little port time. I'd hate for ALL our time to be used up by a boring excursion.

• 3 months later...
These pictures are great. I love them. Now I really can't wait for August.:D

We visited twice on our last AK cruise (a B2B) On the return, which was the first week of Aug, there was a festival going on. Good food and a surprise!

We will be in ketchikan in June ! So excited we are doing the deadliest catch tour and renting a motorcycle for an early morning ride :)