FLL disembarkation by staying on the ship until the afternoon

downtowncanada

One of my co-workers who regularly cruises with Celebrity out of FLL says he always stays in Fort Lauderdale for a few nights after their cruise (a little mini-vaca to look forward).

To avoid the crowds and the rush, their family indicate they are staying in Fort Lauderdale on the departure card, end up getting assigned a later time like 10 or 11 departure time.

They head to MDR and enjoy a leisurely breakfast until they are politely kicked out, then don't show up for their 10 or 11 departure time. Then they end up sitting on a deck relaxing until they start seeing new cruisers show up. Sometimes even grabbing a lunch bite in Oceanview. Basically enjoying another half day on the ship with limited amenities.

They'll get off after 2 pm and find that they zip through customs and easily find their luggage. Cabs are sometimes hard to find though as they are dropping off new passengers, so they end up looking closer to the drop off area and snag one letting new cruisers off. It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get a cab that will agree to take you, they are supposed to get back into the queue.

Has anyone ever got off well into the afternoon on Celebrity? They would know you're not off yet, your sea pass is done, so no more booze, but I'm really wondering how long the lines linger in the terminal. I've only ever cruised out of MIA.

Last year, at the end of our Equinox cruise that ended in Barcelona, we had a late flight to Heathrow. For a fee (I'm thinking about $35 each) we could stay on board until after lunch, using the pool and having access to the buffet. (We would not have access to the room.) We decided against this idea, but this is perhaps what your friends have done. We found out about this by calling Celebrity.

One of my co-workers who regularly cruises with Celebrity out of FLL says he always stays in Fort Lauderdale for a few nights after their cruise (a little mini-vaca to look forward).

To avoid the crowds and the rush, their family indicate they are staying in Fort Lauderdale on the departure card, end up getting assigned a later time like 10 or 11 departure time.

They head to MDR and enjoy a leisurely breakfast until they are politely kicked out, then don't show up for their 10 or 11 departure time. Then they end up sitting on a deck relaxing until they start seeing new cruisers show up. Sometimes even grabbing a lunch bite in Oceanview. Basically enjoying another half day on the ship with limited amenities.

They'll get off after 2 pm and find that they zip through customs and easily find their luggage. Cabs are sometimes hard to find though as they are dropping off new passengers, so they end up looking closer to the drop off area and snag one letting new cruisers off. It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get a cab that will agree to take you, they are supposed to get back into the queue.

Has anyone ever got off well into the afternoon on Celebrity? They would know you're not off yet, your sea pass is done, so no more booze, but I'm really wondering how long the lines linger in the terminal. I've only ever cruised out of MIA.

No way this happens.

We did a B/2/B on Reflection last year. We were held up because some people did not disembark. They won't board anyone in Florida until all are off the ship that are supposed to disembark. We had to wait until about 11 am to get our new room cards. This behavior is not nice because it holds up everyone else's vacation.

Pat

In 2007 I was in Long Beach, CA for a ship inspection of a Carnival ship. We were due to board at 11AM but there were a group of people who were still on board so it could not clear customs. They were found up on the pool deck lounging. The ship didn't end up clearing until after 12:30PM. It wasn't such a big deal for us viewing the ship but the angry mob of people who line up at 9AM hoping to get on board early were furious. Kind of scary, actually.

That experience is why I NEVER get to a port until 1:30 or so. The lines of people whose flights got in early or who just want to get on the ship as early as possible are scary. Last year, we left our FLL hotel at about 12:30, made a stop at a drug store for supplies, and ended up getting in line at about 1:30. We walked up to the empty VIP check in area and were on the ship in less than 15 minutes.

I have the sorry disposition of being the least patient person on earth so I've had to learn tricks to keep me out of those situations.

Customs, on the other hand, that's an inconvenience that I simply have to endure. I have Global Entry but since it only works at select airports and not cruise ports, there's just no way around it.

Though, I will say, when I got off the Silhouette last year (I'd read horry stories before cruising) we got off at around 9AM and were in our taxi by about 920AM. Things moved along quickly, even though there were about 5 customs people working.

I'm hoping for the same thing this cruise.

Just because your co-worker "says" it doesn't make it true. Assuming this isn't a trolling post. NONE of what you post appears to be based in fact since the MDR closes at 8 and your friend would be kicked out LONG before 10:00 am.

There is no where for them to "relax" while new passengers board. The ship won't start boarding new guests until your friends are rounded up and disembarked.

Nice try.

Ditto! No way!

I have the sorry disposition of being the least patient person on earth so I've had to learn tricks to keep me out of those situations.

Guess you haven't met me. Same here a nearby bar soothes the savage beast.

The OPs "co-worker" is yet another example of the "me" mentality we now have in almost all aspects of our everyday life.