Transpacific on Millenium

eddieg07410

We just spotted this cruise and its itinerary looks quite appealing. I don't know if this is a new itineary but if not I'd like to hear from others who have done it. Price seems righ as well 2300 for Aqua class. We just did Aqua class on the Solstice, and if the Millenium is half as good we would book this level again. The cruise is at the end of April 2015. All comments about itinerary and ship would be appreciated.

Ed

This itinerary is different from the April 2013 crossing we sailed on, in that it bypasses the Alaska ports. We went from Shanghai to Seward and Seward to Vancouver (two cruises). Jeju Island is beautiful. We were able to see it on the Hong Kong to Shanghai segment and were supposed to go again on the next segment but it was too windy for the ship to dock. We loved Kobe. Actually Japan is wonderful wherever you go. Petropavlovsk didn't impress us. Unless things have changed, you have to go on a ship sponsored tour to get off the ship there. The sea days were wonderful.. We thought Blu (Aqua class) was better than the S class ships. Great food and service. Go for it and enjoy every minute.

We had always loved the Millenium, and had been on it other times. The last time we sailed her in Malaysia a year ago, we felt she was getting alittle war torn, especially compared to the Solstice class ships. It really is a personal opinion, and I know many would disagree with me. We did the transpacific this year on the solstice from Honolulu to Sydney, an amazing itinerary.

We have been on many Celebrity cruises and I must admit we were disappointed in the Mellinium.

We felt the food was poor. The first night I ordered salmon. It was hard & dry. My husband ordered a steak which was tough and dry. Another night we both ordered roast lamb. Both our servings were 50% fat. Many other dishes were just not what we have come to expect from Celebrity. Desserts were also disappointing. Entertainment was mediocre.

We are both have been Elite for many sailings but on this one, there was no Elite stuff for my husband in the cabin. I went to guest services who said I would have to go to see Rose, the Crown & Anchor person. I went back and Rose had this "the customer is always WRONG" attitude. No apology or I'm happy to fix this. No, she said "you must have not told them when you booked."

There was no fresh milk on the cruise, only the "no refrigeration" milk. I know this may not have been able to solve this because of where the cruise began. But I do love cereal in the morning. And the ice cream was made with this and had a strange flavor.

On other cruises when it's time to turn the clocks, we are used to having a note on the bed to remind us. Not on this one. It was in the schedule of activities but we didn't see it. So we were late for our first excursion. I was told it was announced at the evening show, but we were too tired to get there.

Out itinerary of Singapore to Hong Kong was great though.

I don't know if this is an indictment of Celebrity or the Millenium. Regardless of the ship I would expect the service to be similar across a cru7ise line. What was the itinerary of the ship? Also, we are thinking of going aqua class and during our last cruise the food was fantastic in Blu. I'd like to hear from others who have done

Aqua class on Millenium.

We have found that the officers and crew really make a difference on a cruise...and someone's experience a month ago may vary widely from what's happening today. We have been on cruises where staff has changed between back to backs and you can notice a significant difference. I'm sure the plan is for a constant experience, but some managers are better than others, some cooks are better, etc.

The millennium is no different. They deal with the food that's delivered...if there is no fresh milk, they use what they get. The ship doesn't order the food, HQ does and yes, there is a focus on the bottom line cost.

I wouldn't worry about the millennium or any other ship where you read negative reviews. Note...I also wouldn't count on getting the outstanding service you read about in some reviews either. Officers change, staff changes....all in all celebrity seems to do a better job than it's competitors.

As far as aqua class, it varies quite a bit based on the maitre d'. We were on back to backs on the Millennium and aqua was noticeably different on the two cruises.

We were on the Millennium a couple of weeks ago and it was fabulous! I think when they had the unexpected drydock a few months ago to fix the damaged pod they used the opportunity to spruce things up- everything was gleaming and in great shape. Apparently they also did intensive staff training and it showed. We were very happy, and definitely wouldn't say that the ship is looking old and tired.

We weren't aqua class so I can't comment on this or on Blu, but the food was mostly good to excellent (personal taste, but if you don't like something you can order something else), and the service spectacular.

Well you've certainly gotten both ends of the spectrum, haven't you? :) We were also on the 2013 Transpacific sailing (the one that missed Jeju due to weather) and we thought it was fantastic. We found the staff to be extremely congenial, though I will agree that Rose was pretty "all business" compared to the previous LA, Juliana (who was amazing).

We were not in Aqua class, so I'm afraid I can't comment on Blu, but I will point out that unlike S class, Millennium class ships didn't start out with Aqua Class. The AQ cabins were retrofitted onto Millie in her last dry dock. This could mean that they are not as well integrated with the spa as they might otherwise be, but it also means they're much newer than the rest of the cabins on the ship.

If I had a choice between Solstice and Millennium, I'd take Solstice (I love the lawn club and the overall vibe of the ship), but I wouldn't hesitate at all to sail Millennium in the absence of that choice.

We were in Aqua class for the 2nd and 3rd segments of this cruise. There was no other word to describe it but fantastic. The lobster on formal night was the best lobster I have ever had on a cruise ship and that includes a few times in Murano.

Our room stewards were also the best we have ever had. Laurencino (sp) was the helper and I forget the other guys name, sorry. We were in 1136 and 1130 for the Alaska portion.

We ate in the Mdr on the first segment and we did have some issues. DH's onion soup was not hot enough so he told them. Otherwise, we found the food quite good. Service too.

Yes, the ship is soon to be the oldest in the fleet after Century goes but she is well maintained and hopefully the pod problems will be gone now for a good while.

Don't know if one more reply will just confuse you more but we are booked on the April 2015 cruise and looking forward to it. There is an active roll call you may want to check out.

We have always preferred the the M class ships but last spring spent 62 days on Solstice from Auckland to Seattle and loved every minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app