How's the coffee on RC?

My experience is that is varies from average to stand-the-spoon-up-in-the-cup, and from ship to ship. It was uniform on OA back in August, so strong we literally couldn't drink it (and that was decaf in the MDR) on AOS in December, and just off Serenade a week or so ago found it to be quite good. I agree that room service coffee in the morning tastes best (but maybe that's cause I need it more then...:rolleyes:)

Also, I THINK that Starbucks has bought out Seattle's Best? Is this right? For some reason I think I was told that on Serenade. All the paper cups/sleeves that were available in the CL were imprinted with the Starbucks logo and I seem to remember being told that...but that could just be a champagne memory!

Hey y'all,

I'll be on my first RC cruise in less than a month, and I had a flashback of my two cruises spent with Carnival. I'm not an incredible coffee snob or anything, but found the coffee on Carnival to be downright awful. I ended up going to the onboard coffee shop several times and spending a good bit of cash to get some reasonable coffee.

As a result of those experiences and seeing some tips on what other people bring on their cruises, I've been considering bringing my own coffee, though I'd rather not bring more than neccessary. What did y'all think of RC's coffee?

Thanks!

Slightly better than Carnival.

I think the coffee is fine. It's not what you would get from Starbucks (as someone else said more like Denny's or IHOP), but it is not bad. I like coffee to be a bit strong. I take a little sugar and that cuts the strength a bit.

Overall, I think it's not too bad. I do confess that we splurge for a latte in the morning, but I'd always drink the free coffee before purchasing brewed from the on ship coffee shop.

Tom

Hey y'all,

I'll be on my first RC cruise in less than a month, and I had a flashback of my two cruises spent with Carnival. I'm not an incredible coffee snob or anything, but found the coffee on Carnival to be downright awful. I ended up going to the on board coffee shop several times and spending a good bit of cash to get some reasonable coffee.

As a result of those experiences and seeing some tips on what other people bring on their cruises, I've been considering bringing my own coffee, though I'd rather not bring more than necessarily. What did y'all think of RC's coffee?

Thanks!

Just got off the late arriving Serenade... Coffee, much to our dismay, is no longer Seattle's Best, but some vile brew called Royal Caribbean Blend! None of the awesome smoothness one gets from SB. AND, to even further add to the insult, there was no 1/2&1/2 on board: they had non-dairy International delight individual portion cups instead...YUCK ( unless one IS INTO unknown ((coconut oil?)) synthetic substitutes...). Soooo go to pay for coffee on deck five, you say.... Pay for a cup as they have cream, you say.... ..... Nope; get a cup of 75% cream and 25% coffee..... Arghhhhhh!!!!!! But the rest of the story: they ran out of their version of 1/2&1/2 on the last day and had none on 1st day either. COFFEE LOVERS BEWARE!!!!!

Yikes.

Tom

Just got off the late arriving Serenade... Coffee, much to our dismay, is no longer Seattle's Best, but some vile brew called Royal Caribbean Blend! None of the awesome smoothness one gets from SB. AND, to even further add to the insult, there was no 1/2&1/2 on board: they had non-dairy International delight individual portion cups instead...YUCK ( unless one IS INTO unknown ((coconut oil?)) synthetic substitutes...). Soooo go to pay for coffee on deck five, you say.... Pay for a cup as they have cream, you say.... ..... Nope; get a cup of 75% cream and 25% coffee..... Arghhhhhh!!!!!! But the rest of the story: they ran out of their version of 1/2&1/2 on the last day and had none on 1st day either. COFFEE LOVERS BEWARE!!!!!

Guest maddycat
Everyone has different taste and an opinion –

I really do not like the coffee. I am a coffee drinker but generally go for hot tea on RCCL.

I do read of many who bring a French press and order hot water. If you really need coffee and are particular, this may be your option. I could never be bothered and hence, go for the hot tea.

enjoy

M

RCI no longer serves Lipton or Twinings tea. They now have an awful organic tea, First Tea. It's weak and has an odd taste. I bring my own from home.

Edited by maddycat

Hey y'all,

I'll be on my first RC cruise in less than a month, and I had a flashback of my two cruises spent with Carnival. I'm not an incredible coffee snob or anything, but found the coffee on Carnival to be downright awful. I ended up going to the onboard coffee shop several times and spending a good bit of cash to get some reasonable coffee.

As a result of those experiences and seeing some tips on what other people bring on their cruises, I've been considering bringing my own coffee, though I'd rather not bring more than neccessary. What did y'all think of RC's coffee?

Thanks!

Its very strong in the Promenade Cafe at the self serve stations, which IMO is better than being weak and at least the hot water dispenser is close by to dilute it if desired. For whatever reason, it's not as strong (and bitter) at the venues where they serve you the coffee (ie. WJ and MDR).

Has anyone ever tried those single coffee packets you can now buy in the grocery store to add to hot water?

I love Starbucks! I usually buy those via packets from Starbucks and carry them everywhere and all you need is a cup of hot water and you can get that in the cafe prom, dining room, etc. I tried Folgers packets and too weak for me but not bad if you like weaker coffee.

The WJ coffee is horrible, IMO, but what they serve in the dining room is much better. I've found room service coffee to be ok, most of the time.

This is my opinion of RCI's coffee too. I bring little travel thingys of flavored creamer for the WJ coffee. It definitely takes the bite out of it!

RCI no longer serves Lipton or Twinings tea. They now have an awful organic tea, First Tea. It's weak and has an odd taste. I bring my own from home.

YIKES!! Now that's scary! DW prefers standard tea like Lipton or Tetley. 9 days onboard with substandard tea will make my life miserable.

I'll have to follow this development. I may need to bring a box of tea bags just in case.

I love Starbucks! I usually buy those via packets from Starbucks and carry them everywhere and all you need is a cup of hot water and you can get that in the cafe prom, dining room, etc. I tried Folgers packets and too weak for me but not bad if you like weaker coffee.

Good to know. I'm gonna try them out this week. Thanks! I heard they were great.