River vs Ocean Cruises?

Lightngsvt

The idea of the river cruise is starting to intrigue me, Im thinking it could be a possibility in maybe a year or 2 from now. How do the river cruises compare to something like a Caribbean cruise? How are the ships, amenities, cabins and dining? What about destinations, how do they differ form a typical island stay?

I have been on 11 ocean cruises and 4 Viking River cruises.

I love the river cruises as there are less people, they take you on a tour every day and everything is included except the tips at the end.

You get free wine or beer at lunch and dinner.

It is just more relaxing as they look after everything for you.

The food is good and the cabins are comfortable.

I have no desire to go on another ocean cruise. Oceania was fine but it is still larger than the river boats.

They are so different, really the only similarity is the fact you're on a body of water and your lodging moves with you. Compare a Vegas vacation in a massive Vegas hotel to visiting Austin or maybe Sante Fe and staying in a boutique hotel.

Your ports are sometimes small towns, sometimes larger cities, but they are generally not near as tourist oriented as ocean ports. Much more steeped in history.

The cabins are probably smaller (though it depends on the line), there's normally just one or two common areas. Meals are only available at preset times. You spend most of your days exploring the towns. No seasickness issues.

Lightngsvt ~ your question is one that DH and I began thinking about around 2010. We had taken some ocean cruise - mostly Celebrity, one on RCCL - and really enjoyed all of them and never, ever had a problem. But DH began talking about a River Cruise because of itinerary!

So I began here on CC and I just couldn't understand when people kept saying that RCing was completely different than OCing. How could it be different - both are on a ship, even if one is larger and one smaller; both are on water; both have cabins and dinner and passengers. How could they be SO different?

Well I found out after our first cruise - and I feel in love with the difference - and we came home to quickly book 2 more River Cruises!! (To be honest, the only thing I miss with RCing is the lack of CC roll call interaction because of the few passengers!)

travelfirst and beesKate have given a good run down on some of the differences. And I wouldn't try to "sell" anyone on RCing since we all do enjoy different experiences. But we fell in love with: the smaller number of passengers (people are still people but most seem to act nicer in smaller numbers!); no long security lines re-boarding in ports; being permitted to bring on wine and even enjoying it at dinner (Viking) with no charges; more personal attitude from everyone, even the Captain.

Now, to be honest, at times I do miss my large aft balcony, or the evening show, or the swimming pool or a spa massage - but I know I can always return to an ocean cruise! But an ocean cruise can't get me to the Christmas Markets or on the Rhine River. So I feel lucky to be able to enjoy both worlds - and right now we're "into" River Cruises!!!

Lastly, my only advice would be to try a River Cruise - it might not be for you or you might love it - only YOU can say!!! As far as a destination goes - RCs are mainly cities/town ports where you can dock and either go on an included excursion (which surprisingly I've enjoyed even thought we always stayed away from OC excursions) or wander ariound a town on your own. DH picked our first RC because of the Rhone River valley and his enjoyment of wine - also why we'll be going to Bordeaux in October. He then suggested the Rhine River and I chose December for the Christmas Markets. So, in my opinion, RCs are more about destination then a cruise experience aboard a ship. I know many who choose a convenient date, then a certain ship, and really don't care about the destination. And there's nothing wrong with that way of cruising - I just think that RC is more about destination, but maybe that's just my outlook!

Whatever you decide - happy travels!!!!!

Thanks for your replies, they are very helpful. We just started our "cruise life" last year with a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette last March for our 10th anniversary, it was my wifes 1st but my 4th cruise. We are planning another caribbean the end of next month. She loves to travel and sight-see and Im just getting into some real travel. Im 41 now so I hope to have many years of travel/cruising ahead to enjoy both ocean and based on your reviews river cruising too.

So do you spend all day in port unlike the ocean cruise where your in port for 5-8 hours. Is there any entertainment besides dinning on the river ships? Do they still have veranda cabins?

And we are in the other boat (pardon the pun). We've only done one river cruise and are booked for our second this coming June. We are now intrigued by ocean cruising, keeping our expectations in check in comparison to river cruising. Just another adventure as far as we are concerned.

As fotopeg says it is a wonderful way to travel. In about 2 weeks we leave for our trips number 19 and 19. We fell in love with the pace the size of the boat and the opportunity to see the towns along the rivers of the world.

The newer boats have balconies, but they are really not necessary--limit your view to one side of the river. The lounge and sundeck are where most people go to watch the scenery.

Meals are a bit different. On most lines there is only one restaurant. All meals are openseating with no reserved seats. Breakfast and lunch are usually buffet with stations where food is freshly cooked. Some lines offer plated lunches--we found that to be too heavy for us. Dinner is plated with choices, usually at about 7 pm after the port talk for the next day.

Many evenings there will be local entertainment on board. There is also a piano player on board. The evenings are fairly quiet because the tours start at about 8:30am.

Keep asking questions. Pat

always UPGRADE to more luxury lines like AMA,Scenic,Tauck,etc.

They have full balconies, some have butlers,room service,tubs(Scenic),more restuarants,etc.All tips,exc.,drinks,etc. inc. Remember to REALLY compare all costs inv.....you DO GET what you pay for.

Many companies now doing river cruises.Get a LOT of brochures,read a lot of reviews.Can see some on you tube,to get idea.

Then TRY one,that fits YOUR NEEDS,and see if you like it(perhaps a short one with a few days pre cruise and post in cities you d like to see.

Also,get a good TA that does river cruises.Lots of help and info.;)

We do best of both worlds,switch from ocean to river every 6 mos.

Wow, wish we had the time to cruise twice a year! :) It seems to me that the river cruises attract a different crowd, what is an average age range? Im not sure if thats hard to answer or not? I know with ocean cruises it depends on the line, length and time of year that determines the typical age of the passengers.

The Uniworld cruises we've been on have been mainly retired couples -- or at the very least empty-nesters. On each of our cruises, there's been a handful of younger people (under 30). And I mean literally less than 5.

However, in order to do a lot of the touring in the towns, you need to be fairly mobile. Even though they've been mainly over 50, it's generally a healthy, active, fit, fun-loving, adventurous crowd. There are usually some who are less mobile (maybe a few more than those under 30). Picture a bell-curve where highest point is about 60-65. I'd say it drops over sharply under 50 and over 75. We've been at the lower edge of the age spectrum and have met wonderful couples on our cruises -- across all ages.

I will say river cruising is a very easy way to explore parts of europe. You don't need to worry about language issues, research ports or plan your days. For busy professionals, its really kind of nice knowing I could just pack my bag and show up without taking care of logistics. It also gives you a level of confidence for future travel. We've been slowly adding days before and after our cruises. Our next european trip after our next cruise will probably be land-only on our own. But I'm not quite willing to give up everything I love about the river cruising experience either.

above post is very accurate.That being said, we ve been doing this starting in our 40s and never was concerned about that.Everyone we ve met,in 10 river cruises ,have been well traveled, well educated, and very interesting,Regardless of age.

But,if you want a younger group,its NOT FOR YOU.PS.that s another reason we like to alternate between them.

Give it a shot,if not for you,you ve learned something and hopefully had a good time regardless.;)

Our last RC was Viking's Rhine River Christmas Markets and I was pleasantly surprised to find many younger people aboard. Now, granted, it may have been because of the Christmas Markets but it seemed to me an indication of RCing's popularity spreading to a younger generation! And may mean that more cruise lines will begin adding more strenuous activities to appeal to younger people.

Our last port was Kinderdijk in the Netherlands - an opportunity to see the UNESCO windmills. We arrived early, I left the ship to take a few photos and encountered a younger fellow passenger all excited - he had seen the sign about bike rental and said tha the was going to talk his wide into it. Saw him a few minutes later looking over a map with the CD. Later that night I saw him and inquired about the ride and he said they did it and it was the highlight of his trip!

I had the pre-conceived notion that RCing might be boring - little activity onboard (no pool, no gym, no long hallways, etc) and low-level bus or strolling excursions - wrong!! While Viking does have a "gentle" group on every excursion, the average groups do a great deal of walking! And if you take all the excursions + optionals, you've got a lot of activity!!! And I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from a RC since no one forces you to take a tour, you can always remain on board or stroll through a town on your own.

beesKate is very correct, as the older, mature, senior generation stays fit I think more diverse activities may be added to many RCs and that may, in turn, also attract a younger group.

As fotopeg says it is a wonderful way to travel. In about 2 weeks we leave for our trips number 19 and 19. We fell in love with the pace the size of the boat and the opportunity to see the towns along the rivers of the world.

The newer boats have balconies, but they are really not necessary--limit your view to one side of the river. The lounge and sundeck are where most people go to watch the scenery.

Meals are a bit different. On most lines there is only one restaurant. All meals are openseating with no reserved seats. Breakfast and lunch are usually buffet with stations where food is freshly cooked. Some lines offer plated lunches--we found that to be too heavy for us. Dinner is plated with choices, usually at about 7 pm after the port talk for the next day.

Many evenings there will be local entertainment on board. There is also a piano player on board. The evenings are fairly quiet because the tours start at about

8:30am.

Keep asking questions. Pat

I know that Croisieurope ships are not mentioned much on Cruise Critic, but my first river cruise was on the MS France and I was very surprised and not pleased that everyone had assigned tables at dinner. Each night you sat with the same people and there was only one entre that was served. One night the entre was venison and there were many plates that were uneaten. Also lunch was a multi- course affair which took up a lot of time. Again there was no menu choices just the entre that was served. Breakfast was a brunch with many choices.

The reason I bring this up is that if you book a line that is not familiar to you, I suggest that you research and ask the question about assigned tables and the number of entres available at meals.

We booked this cruise through a travel agency in the Chicago IL area and they chartered the Croisieurope ship (French company) for one week.

Thirty+ cruises thus far and only one river cruise. Three more cruises this year and no river cruises. Lots of river traffic on the main arteries in Europe...therefore Juliette balcony was almost worthless due to engine and noise pollution. More important choice than ship/cabin is the river. Choose a less traveled river and you'll be happier.

We took our first river cruise last year after 14 ocean cruises. We loved it and are looking at itineraries to book another. I think all of the things said here are accurate. We had a French balcony, but seldom used it. There is too much to see on both sides so the sun deck and lounge were better choices. Meals were as good as the ocean cruises, but choices much more limited. Very little entertainment, but that was no big deal for us. Our entertainment were the beautiful ports and tours. We were told before going that the demographics would be mostly well traveled individuals over 50. This proved to be very true. We met many wonderful people.

Try it, you'll like it!

Thirty+ cruises thus far and only one river cruise. Three more cruises this year and no river cruises. Lots of river traffic on the main arteries in Europe...therefore Juliette balcony was almost worthless due to engine and noise pollution. More important choice than ship/cabin is the river. Choose a less traveled river and you'll be happier.

We go in the off season so river traffic has never been an issue.

We are not fans of big ship cruising and find the ports particularly unappealing, as they are generally overrun with cruise ship passengers.

We will not cruise mass market cruise lines any more as overall the quality continues to decline and the nickel and diming increases. For us, Oceania and lines like Windstar are the only ones we would choose these days.

River Cruise is a much slower pace..enjoyed the change from ocean cruising in the Caribbean..love the change, would go again in a heartbeat

River cruising isn't always a "much slower pace".... In fact, we found it quite busy at times - especially in the mornings - if you don't have any sailing time during the day.

Fran

River cruising isn't always a "much slower pace".... In fact, we found it quite busy at times - especially in the mornings - if you don't have any sailing time during the day.

Fran

I agree with Fran. One is busy in the morning with the ship tours and then often, if in port for the afternoon, we go back into town and explore some more. I wear a pedometer when we travel and I often log between 5 to 10 miles a day walking around.

Holy cow that is alot of walking! I guess over the course of an entire day its not so bad, but wouldnt want to do it in one shot. So how many passengers are usually on the river cruises?

Depends on the ship. It may range from 80 to 200. You have to look on the cruise lines website

My husband and I took a Christmas Market Cruise on the Viking Ship, 160 passengers, great service, great food and wonderful excursions. We have been on 3 river cruises and 25 Ocean Cruises. We like both - River Cruising is active since you go from town to town and get off and walk around all the tours and can really take in the ports..

I noted that your age is 41 and if you are planning to take kids on a riverboat, I would recommend against it - there really is nothing for young children on the ship. Have really not seen any kids on the ships.. I would take a teenager, would be a good experience.. but this is just my opinion.

Try it, I bet if you like History and meeting interesting people you will enjoy it....