Excursion for first part of the day?

jplee3

Hey all,

So I booked the Dolphin Discovery @ Chankanaab for my wife at 2pm (3pm ship time) and we'll be on Cozumel from 8:30am-5:45pm (I'm assuming ship time). I figure the last part of the day we'll do the dolphin thing and just relax around Chankanaab.

I wanted to get some suggestions as to what we could do during the time up until that point though. I was considering the ruins but still not so sure - I guess that could be the fallback, although it seems like we would only be a few hours there at most. Otherwise, I've looked up horseback riding and saw some videos on Youtube but it didn't look all too impressive to me at all. I suggested ATV/Xrails but my wife watched some videos and was pretty turned off and scared hahaha.

I'd say we're open to ruins, hiking, kayaking and snorkeling at least. Probably not any submarine or boat adventures though. And definitely not anything that would take more than 4 hours (including transportation) for sure.

Any other suggestions?

You really can spend a whole day at Chankanaab. We always go there for the day in Cozumel. Great place with a lot to do. And they have good snorkeling there as well! Just my opinion, if you are already getting admission to Chankanaab with your dolphin discovery, I would take advantage of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='LREcruise02']You really can spend a whole day at Chankanaab. We always go there for the day in Cozumel. Great place with a lot to do. And they have good snorkeling there as well! Just my opinion, if you are already getting admission to Chankanaab with your dolphin discovery, I would take advantage of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that might be something to consider. Although, we like venturing out and really do like the idea of visiting the ruins. Also, I heard snorkeling is pretty average at Chankanaab (compared to Money Bar?)

We'll definitely plan to get to Chankanaab before the dolphin excursion and plan to stay a bit after but wanted to see if we could maybe squeeze in something for the morning.

I did read about the ruins at San Gervasio. Mixed reviews but they still seemed interesting. We decided to do ruins at Costa Maya instead, but may be worth looking into. I had researched just taking a taxi there and they would wait for you. I think that could easily be done in a couple hours time in the morning, as they are not too far from port. Good luck!

Also I have never been to Money Bar, so can't compare, but my husband snorkeled at Chankanaab and said it was great. He also got some underwater photos and it looked like there was a lot to see. At some spots they have statues under the water as well, which seems interesting. I think if you are already there, would be worth checking out!

If you will already be at Chank for your dolphin thing why not just spend the day there - beach, snorkeling, good food/drinks. Snorkeling there is good and since admission is part of your excursion you don't need to fork out $20 to get in.

I am also not understanding why you are not taking advantage of your admission to Chankanaab? I have not been there but it seems that most people find enough to do for the day. Since you say you like snorkeling, you have snorkeling right there, why would you want to look for somewhere else? With your time frame you are going to have very little time for relaxing or exploring after the dolphin experience. Have you read Mitsugirly's pictorial reviews of Chankanaab?

That said, I replied to your other thread about the ruins and timing. It would seem that would fit in, if that is what you want to do, so I am not understanding the problem there either. The ruins open at 8am, I believe, the return taxi fare plus waiting I think would cover about 3 hours total - you could negotiate picking up at pier, dropping off at Chankanaab and then you would only need return taxi from Chankanaab. This would give you some time before the Dolphin experience to explore.

[quote name='c-leg5']I am also not understanding why you are not taking advantage of your admission to Chankanaab? I have not been there but it seems that most people find enough to do for the day. Since you say you like snorkeling, you have snorkeling right there, why would you want to look for somewhere else? With your time frame you are going to have very little time for relaxing or exploring after the dolphin experience. Have you read Mitsugirly's pictorial reviews of Chankanaab?

That said, I replied to your other thread about the ruins and timing. It would seem that would fit in, if that is what you want to do, so I am not understanding the problem there either. The ruins open at 8am, I believe, the return taxi fare plus waiting I think would cover about 3 hours total - you could negotiate picking up at pier, dropping off at Chankanaab and then you would only need return taxi from Chankanaab. This would give you some time before the Dolphin experience to explore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Snorkeling is one thing we'd be interested in, and it certainly sounds like it's good enough for as at Chankanaab. So I guess the main thing for me was trying to fit in other active activities (e.g. ruins or hiking). Just not sure if it's worth the time/effort to make it out there for those so wanted to get feedback. Currently all signs are pointing to "more time at Chankanaab" which is fine by us. But if there's anything else really worth doing, we'd definitely want to consider it as well.
I think we'll just play the ruins thing by ear at this point. Just because they have tour guides on-site or you could do a self-tour.

Oh yea and regarding the dolphin excursion, I was thinking we might try to get there a couple hours beforehand to enjoy the park (rather than feeling rushed to try to explore it after the excursion since we scheduled it later in the day).

Thanks for all the feedback! Edited by jplee3

[quote name='jplee3']Thanks! Snorkeling is one thing we'd be interested in, and it certainly sounds like it's good enough for as at Chankanaab. So I guess the main thing for me was trying to fit in other active activities (e.g. ruins or hiking). Just not sure if it's worth the time/effort to make it out there for those so wanted to get feedback. Currently all signs are pointing to "more time at Chankanaab" which is fine by us. But if there's anything else really worth doing, we'd definitely want to consider it as well.
I think we'll just play the ruins thing by ear at this point. Just because they have tour guides on-site or you could do a self-tour.

Oh yea and regarding the dolphin excursion, I was thinking we might try to get there a couple hours beforehand to enjoy the park (rather than feeling rushed to try to explore it after the excursion since we scheduled it later in the day).

Thanks for all the feedback![/QUOTE]

There's a Sea Lion show at Chankanaab worth seeing. Plus the snorkeling and the beach. If I were you I would spend more time before the swim at Chank. You can leave and have time to shop at the pier afterward.

So I'm now considering just getting a ticket for the Discover Mexico museum across the way. That way, things will be much easier. Plus, I think our extended family will all be going to the museum anyway. One question about that though - is the walk between Discover Mexico and Chankanaab too much trouble (especially if there are kids)? Or is it doable? Are taxis recommended instead?

NM lol - I just google mapped it and it looks kinda far. So taxis it is! Edited by jplee3