RCI Radiance - formal nights?

Hi, Great trip. I did it in September.

You will get three formal nights.

Like any trip some people will look beautiful in all their finery, suits and bling.

Others will look nice, some will make no effort.

Don't worry about what others wear. We always dress up, get a few photos and have a ball. And our group includes 23yo, 55yo and 88 yo.

They are great nights.

Raina

Thanks Raina.

Can you remember if the formal nights were ship days or port days, and if the first one was close to the embarkation date?

(I am booking specialty restaurants and would rather spend formal nights in the MDR)

I did this cruise in Sept 2012. Formal nights are on sea days. From memory the first formal night was either Day 2 or 3.

I did two radiance trips recently. I have the compasses in front of me. 8 day cruise to QLD, from 19th January, day 2 Monday 20th Newcastle, formal. Day 6, Friday 24th, at sea, formal.

Cruise 2, 7 nights Tasmania 27th January, day 2, 28th January, Newcastle, formal. Day 5, 31st January, at sea, formal.

People were very annoyed that port days were formal days. Didn't worry me, just saying what many people found strange.

Edited by kjsmith63

It seems odd that the cruise lines can't tell you what nights the formal nights will be ahead of time. Surely they must know in advance. It should be shown on the itinerary. Then people could plan their speciality dining accordingly.

It seems odd that the cruise lines can't tell you what nights the formal nights will be ahead of time. Surely they must know in advance. It should be shown on the itinerary. Then people could plan their speciality dining accordingly.

with princess on a 14 night cruise its normally the 2nd night and one in the middle and the 2nd last night

The Princess website says 2 formal nights on a 7-14 day cruise. For our cruise over Christmas I expect one will be on the second or third nights (both sea days) and I'm hoping the second one will be on Christmas Day (day 10) which is also a sea day. But I'd really like to know in advance. DH and I have a special Christmas Eve tradition which would fit it really well with having one of the Princess Ultimate Balcony Dining experiences but I don't want that to clash with a formal night as we're really looking forward to the formal nights.

We'd also like to try the Sterling Steakhouse one night.

We have done this one a couple of times and the first formal night is/has been Night 2 so as soon as you get on board, book your hair/nails, etc. and give your clothes to your Cabin Attendant for pressing (if you need to) on Night One. The Salon will always be able to tell you what nights are the formal nights;) so even if you don't want you hair/nails done, give them a call and ask them.:)

Cheers

Di

That's a good tip ;)

I always get my nails done before travelling, with OPI Gel Color, which is a removable gel polish. Another brand is Shellac. If I'm careful it lasts 2-3 weeks without chipping and despite my nails growing during that time (and they grow very fast) it still looks good even with a bright or dark colour.

That's a good tip ;)

I always get my nails done before travelling, with OPI Gel Color, which is a removable gel polish. Another brand is Shellac. If I'm careful it lasts 2-3 weeks without chipping and despite my nails growing during that time (and they grow very fast) it still looks good even with a bright or dark colour.

Yes, me too except I now have my own lamp and do them myself:)

Do you know that once the ship leaves Sydney for the crossing to Hawaii, the price of a manicure and shellac on the ship drops down to about $24 so it is actually cheaper to let them do it but I do take my own colour(s) with me because their range isn't that great.

Cheers

Di

We have done this one a couple of times and the first formal night is/has been Night 2 so as soon as you get on board, book your hair/nails, etc. and give your clothes to your Cabin Attendant for pressing (if you need to) on Night One. The Salon will always be able to tell you what nights are the formal nights;) so even if you don't want you hair/nails done, give them a call and ask them.:)

Cheers

Di

Thanks! Asking the salon about the rest of the formal nights is a great tip.

Cheers

Di

Now come on, Chris did this and got hooked into spending $400 on nails, hair, spa plus she won a free treatment in the raffles. I spent only $200 on booze. Think this needs to be balanced up next trip. :D:)

Hugh

Now come on, Chris did this and got hooked into spending $400 on nails, hair, spa plus she won a free treatment in the raffles. I spent only $200 on booze. Think this needs to be balanced up next trip. :D:)

Hugh

Hahaha, it's actually the spa that costs the bucks but in future, Chris should reserve those treatments for the crossings - time to do another one;).

Cheers

Di