Dilema! Jewel Suite or Getaway Aft?

gooselover

Having trouble making a choice here. We are booked on Getaway with an aft. This will be our first time on NCL. However, airfare to Miami is pricey from Oklahoma. So.....we could book a suite on Jewel out of Houston and drive down. The cost would almost be less!

So, as a first time NCL cruiser, what should we do? Suite on Jewel or Aft on Getaway?

While I love the more modern ships with all there is to do, the Jewel is a great ship in its own right, and I understand the suite life on NCL is simply amazing. The ability to drive to the port also takes travel delays out of the picture to a large degree (well, I guess your car could break down...knock wood).

The disadvantage of having a suite is that you may never want to cruise without a butler or concierge again. :)

If you're not concerned with itineraries (or if they're the same, I haven't looked) I'd take the Jewel in a heartbeat. Plus through in the hassle that flying has become and it's a no brainer for me.

But I'm not you ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What website am I on? People on cruise critic never agree on anything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think when it comes to being able to sail in a suite for less money than in a non-suite, you will get a LOT of agreement! And for the OP, this is your first NCL cruise, so prepared to be blown away by the Suite Life.

thurston.jpg

Speaking only for myself: I have no interest in sailing on a ship as huge as the Getaway. The Jewel-class ships are a comfortable size, and suite pax on NCL are treated very well. Add to this driving rather than flying to the port, and the decision seems pretty clear (if I were the one making it).

I will also say that we have been fortunate enough to be in a suite (on the Jade, one of the Jewel's sister ships); we loved it, but we've had no trouble sailing in non-suites since, so don't let people say "you can't go back." :)

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

I had a similar dilemna last summer - Gem penthouse suite or Breakaway spa balcony. After asking on cc most people told me to go for the Breakaway. Quite the opposite of what I am seeing here today. Everyone seemed to be excited over the newness of the ship. I read a lot about the Breakaway and decided against it. I did not like the idea of booking shows and the feeling that I git from reviews that it is a much more structured cruise. I love the freestyle feel that the older ships have. I went with the Gem and don't regret it. I just wanted a relaxing time and the Breakaway sounded like so much was going on.

You will enjoy the suite and all that it offers. I am not sure that I want to cruise in less than a suite again. Unfortunately, a suite on the Breakaway is out of my budget. Same for Haven suites on the Jewel class ships. One day...

Whichever you choose, I am sure you will have a great time.

I vote fot the Jewel!

I should have mentioned the itineraries are different - Jewel Western, Getaway - Eastern. We love the eastern. In fact, we just came off a Carnival Cruise (Magic) that is the same itinerary as the Jewel - didn't care for those ports of call.

Unfortunately, the suite life is out of our budget on Getaway!

I would recommend the Jewel as well. Not just because of the suite, which is the only way we cruise on NCL. But because we hated the aft cabin we had. There can be vibration and noise you don't get in other cabins. We had one and never went back!

And I too agree that the Jewel size ship is just about perfect!

I should have mentioned the itineraries are different - Jewel Western, Getaway - Eastern. We love the eastern. In fact, we just came off a Carnival Cruise (Magic) that is the same itinerary as the Jewel - didn't care for those ports of call.

Even if you didn't leave the ship in ports at all, you can be pampered in the suite by your butler - Jewel would be a no-brainer for me too, especially in a suite with an itinerary on which I wouldn't necessarily leave the ship in all ports.

Edited by Demonyte