Tulum private tour company advice?

ckb63

First, let me apologize, as I'm sure this has been asked before. My wife and I are beginning to search for a reputable tour operator for a tour of these ruins. Preferably either a private tour or a very small group. Looks like we will have 9 hours in port, so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have particularly good or bad experiences that you'd care to share? Thank you in advance. :confused:

CK and Stephanie

My advice is to skip the private tours and only do this tour from Coz through the cruise line. Your day will involve transport from your ship to the ferry terminal, a 45+ minute (sometimes rough :() ferry ride, then a bus to the ruins, tour, lunch, etc. and then the reverse trip back to your ship. If anything goes wrong it would be too easy to miss the ship! :eek:

Too risky for me - and too many fun and relaxing things to do on the island of Coz. It is your call. :)

While I agree with John that the ship excursion is a "safer" way to see Tulum, in terms of reconnecting with your ship, there are some reputable tour companies that do cater to cruise passengers and are well aware of the time limitations. Google Cozumel Choice, or check out their reviews on TA for an example. Cozumel Tours is another. However, total savings in costs may not be that different once you add up the ferry, the taxi, the lunch (only a couple of decent spots to eat on the beach by the ruins, but many great places in town and the ship excursion "melas" are typically a bottle of water and a dried out sandwich), any souvenirs, etc.

I guess my problem is that I agree with both of you. Honestly, I would rather do this tour in a small group, or even just the two of us. However, I also recognize the risk involved. Thank you both. Ive got plenty of time to research and decide.

Last year when we went to Cozumel, our ship had to wait on the Carnival excursion ferry returning from Tulum, and we didn't leave on time. I remember thinking how they would NOT have waited on a private excursion. I think going over to the mainland at Cozumel is just too big a risk to take - to many variables, if you aren't on a Carnival excursion. Just my $.02.

Last year when we went to Cozumel, our ship had to wait on the Carnival excursion ferry returning from Tulum, and we didn't leave on time. I remember thinking how they would NOT have waited on a private excursion. I think going over to the mainland at Cozumel is just too big a risk to take - to many variables, if you aren't on a Carnival excursion. Just my $.02.

I agree about using the ship's excursion for Tulum because of the time issue, but if the delay is because of the ferry, then it seems likely that guests who booked on their own will be on the same ferry as those who booked thru the cruise line.