Will this work - nj/ny transfers and hotel??

familycruzer

Ok so here is my plan for a cruise leaving on a Sunday.

Early Saturday morning drive to Hyatt Jersey City and leave our bags.

Drive to Weehawken, park car, and ferry over to NYC for a day of sightseeing.

Take the PATH back to the Hyatt.

Sunday morning use dial7 to the port.

Return from cruise ... Taxi and ferry back to Weehawken to get our car and go home (back up dial7)

Will this plan work?

Can someone tell me where I want to get on PATH to return to Jersey City? I understand the terminal is real close to the Hyatt?

Ok so here is my plan for a cruise leaving on a Sunday.

Early Saturday morning drive to Hyatt Jersey City and leave our bags.

Drive to Weehawken, park car, and ferry over to NYC for a day of sightseeing.

Take the PATH back to the Hyatt.

Sunday morning use dial7 to the port.

Return from cruise ... Taxi and ferry back to Weehawken to get our car and go home (back up dial7)

Will this plan work?

Can someone tell me where I want to get on PATH to return to Jersey City? I understand the terminal is real close to the Hyatt?

Yes this will work.

However you need to become familiar with the Path map and how the trains work on the weekend.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Basically they only run two lines on the weekend - Newark to World Trade and 33rd St to Journal Square via Hoboken. The Hyatt is at Exchange Place, so it is a bit more complicated to get there from midtown on a weekend. The main midtown Path station is at 32nd-33rd St and 6th Ave just below Herald Square (Macy's). It makes stops along 6th Ave and the West Village and goes to Hoboken and then on to Journal Square. To get to Exchange Place you have to go to Grove St and transfer across the tracks to go one stop on a World Trade Center train. On the surface this is about a six block walk.

From downtown Exchange Place is one stop from World Trade Center.

The route you pick all depends on where you are coming from in Manhattan. If you have to take the subway to get to Herald Square, you should instead consider taking the subway all the way downtown to one of the many stations that are close to World Trade Center and picking up Path there to go just the one stop to Exchange Place. Take a look at the NY subway map to see the large number of subway trains that go through that area and you will understand the strategy.

I am a country girl that learned the Metro in DC so I can learn how to get from nyc to nj. I will study the map.

Ok so if I am near world trade center I can take the red or green PATH line to Exchange Place right near the Hyatt. If I near 6th avenue I take the blue line to Hoboken then get on the green to Exchange Place.

Edited by familycruzer

No that's not the way it works on the weekend when there are only two lines running - the red line and the yellow/turquoise dotted line which goes to Journal Square via Hoboken.

You take the yellow/turquoise dotted line to Grove Street and transfer across the platform to the red line.

If you are at World Trade Center, you can take any train to Exchange Place because they are all red line trains on the weekend.

Edited by 138east

So let me understand this

You are going to drive your car to the ferry for a day of sightseeing and LEAVE your car there until the end of your cruise.

And you are using Dial 7 to get you from your NJ hotel to the port? Have you checked the cost OUT of NJ? Dial 7 is a NYC car service. So they will have to send a car FROM NYC to NJ to pick you up. You will be paying RT tolls. AND RT mileage.

There is a NJ based taxi/car service very close to your hotel. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/

You might want to call them and definitely mention their website to get the best price. And on their website, there is a LOT of good info and a new map with all the hotels in the area and lots of places to eat. They even posted that you can park your RV or large vehicle at Walmart.

So let me understand this

You are going to drive your car to the ferry for a day of sightseeing and LEAVE your car there until the end of your cruise.

And you are using Dial 7 to get you from your NJ hotel to the port? Have you checked the cost OUT of NJ? Dial 7 is a NYC car service. So they will have to send a car FROM NYC to NJ to pick you up. You will be paying RT tolls. AND RT mileage.

There is a NJ based taxi/car service very close to your hotel. http://www.secaucustaxi.com/

You might want to call them and definitely mention their website to get the best price. And on their website, there is a LOT of good info and a new map with all the hotels in the area and lots of places to eat. They even posted that you can park your RV or large vehicle at Walmart.

I hope they are driving a car not an RV because the lot at the Ferry is now an indoor lot. No longer an open field...I have no idea whether it will even fit an RV...

http://www.nywaterway.com/indoorparkinggarage.aspx

I hope they are driving a car not an RV because the lot at the Ferry is now an indoor lot. No longer an open field...I have no idea whether it will even fit an RV...

http://www.nywaterway.com/indoorparkinggarage.aspx

They apparently still have parking lots, because the parking rate table that's published in the link you provided shows rates for the lots as well as rates for the garage, and on that page there's also a link to a map that clearly shows lots and the garage.

Edited by njhorseman

I have a car.

Thanks for the taxi information. I believe I was quoted $44 plus tolls for the drop off with dial7.

I don't think I wound want to leave my car in. Walmart parking lot for a week.

I am doing a practice run in the spring with the ferry and PATH. Good excuse to make a day trip to NYC.

Edited by familycruzer

Got it, I will end my day at World Trade Center for ease of PATH.

You should read this article....weekend service will be suspended between WTC and Exchange Pl.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/08/weekend-riders-prepare-for-shutdown-on-exchange-place-world-trade-center-path-line/

Edited by Love the beach

That's a bummer! I can't believe that I actually might be affected by this on 9/6 to 9/7. We'll have to collect more info and start a separate thread to let folks know.

Carol ~

As I understand it, PATH service between midtown Manhattan (33rd Street) and Hoboken won't be affected, nor will service between the World Trade Center and Hoboken. You can travel between Hoboken and Bayonne on the Light Rail system, so it will still be a seamless trip between midtown and Bayonne (allowing for the walk between the Hoboken PATH station and the Hoboken Light Rail platforms).

Ok so I would have to go into Hobeken and then head to Exchange Place?

My understanding of this announcement is that if you're in downtown NY, you will NOT be able to go between World Trade and Exchange Place on weekends (specific times not yet announced). You are going to have to take the NY subway uptown to get Path to Hoboken.

As I recall this sounds easier than it really is. You can take the #1 train from Rector Street to Christopher Street and walk a block to Path or you can take the E train from World Trade to West 4th St and walk four blocks to Path at 8th St. or transfer to an uptown B, D, M, or F train to 14th Street where the stations are close by. From one of the uptown Path stations you would get off in Hoboken and get the light rail to Exchange Place.

I'll check the ferry schedules to see if anything is running on the weekend. I know that the ferry that goes to Warren St in Jersey City below Exchange

Place does run during the day and early evening on a weekend because I was looking at it as an option for getting to Liberty State Park for the SOL ferry.

This was just announced. We'll try to follow the story and post any updates as we hear them.

Carol ~

As I understand it, PATH service between midtown Manhattan (33rd Street) and Hoboken won't be affected, nor will service between the World Trade Center and Hoboken. You can travel between Hoboken and Bayonne on the Light Rail system, so it will still be a seamless trip between midtown and Bayonne (allowing for the walk between the Hoboken PATH station and the Hoboken Light Rail platforms).

Yes - this is only a weekend problem and affects me because I will have a party of 9 staying at the Candlewood Suites for three days in Sep 2014. It should not affect Bayonne cruisers unless they are planning to travel through World Trade to Exchange Place on a weekend.

There is no Hoboken-World Trade Path service on Sat and Sun now. Based on this announcement there will now be absolutely no service between Exchange Place and World Trade on Sat and Sun until 2015. I imagine they will terminate all Newark Path trains at Exchange Place and send them back to Newark.

Ok so I would have to go into Hobeken and then head to Exchange Place?

Yes.

Coming back from Manhattan: When you come out of the PATH station at Hoboken, walk to the south end of the Hoboken rail terminal to the Light Rail platforms (just past track 18 in Hoboken terminal), and take the Light Rail to Exchange Place.

According to the article linked by "Love the beach," above, NJ Transit will be cross-honoring PATH tickets, so you will not have to purchase a separate ticket for the Light Rail.

Yes - this is only a weekend problem and affects me because I will have a party of 9 staying at the Candlewood Suites for three days in Sep 2014. It should not affect Bayonne cruisers unless they are planning to travel through World Trade to Exchange Place on a weekend.

There is no Hoboken-World Trade Path service on Sat and Sun now.

Ah, right--I'd forgotten that there's no Hoboken-WTC service on weekends anyway.

It looks like there's no longer any weekend ferry service between Hoboken terminal and World Financial Center either, nor between Paulus Hook (Jersey City) and the WFC:

http://www.nywaterway.com/HobokenNJTT-WFCRoute.aspx

http://www.nywaterway.com/PaulusHook-WFCRoute-copy.aspx

Your instructions to the OP about changing from various PATH stations in Manhattan to various MTA subway stations are quite clear and accurate. But yes--it sounds easier than it really is, especially for someone who is not familiar with New York and the public transit system. Whichever route one chooses, the detour certainly will add to the travel time between the World Trade Center and anyplace on the New Jersey side of the Hudson.

Incidentally, there are two Light Rail stops (for service to/from Hoboken) within just a few minutes' walk from Candlewood Suites: Harsimus Cove, and Harborside Financial Center. (As I recall, these two stops are more or less equidistant from Candlewood.)

Yes - we will be OK with this for my group.

It's complicated - three DGD's 6mos, 5 and 8. DH, DD, DS, SIL and the other grandmother. Three rooms with full kitchens TV's laundry etc. Two cars coming from Boston. DD, SIL, and kids flying in and out of Newark. And it's also Fashion Week. I pulled up a Fairfield Suites in Chelsea and the room rates were $600-800!!!! I made an immediate reservation for us all at Candlewood.

We will drive to the wedding which is at Chelsea Piers, so they have parking. No idea where the rehearsal dinner will be, but I'm sure driving will be involved. If we go to the SOL, we'll drive to Liberty State Park and won't mess with NY. It's a lot cheaper to stay in NJ and pay some tunnel tolls and parking than it would ever be to stay in NYC.

It appears that the Liberty Landing Ferry runs every half hour on weekends into the early evening from World Financial Center for $7 - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/weekend-schedule.aspx Warren St to the Hyatt is walkable.

I am going to make it easy on myself. I am staying at Spring Hill Suites at EWR and take the airport express bus to the port authority and either walk or take a taxi to pier and take dial7 back to the hotel upon my return.

I have saved the direction so I can go to NYC for a day and know what to do.