The Signature Beverage Program and photos of the drink menu

travelinjones

Have you tried the Signature Beverage Program on HAL? We tried it on our last cruise (a 7-Day Holiday Caribbean) on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

While it was fun, we probably would not buy again - we prefer wine - but we did enjoy trying a number of drinks on the extensive bar menu.

Here are pictures of the drink menu and some of the drinks we tried:

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/01/31/is-the-signature-beverage-program-on-holland-america-cruises-a-good-deal/

Plus, we are curious what others thought who have tried the Signature Beverage Program?

Thank you for this post, you answered all the questions floating in my head . We do have the explore 4 pkg. on our upcoming cruise. Posting the menus was a nice touch to the post, I see a few things I will be trying:).

I know we will not get close to the daily limit but it will sure take the sticker shock off the final bill. Might just use the budgeted money at the spa..for detox:D

TravelinJones - Thank you so much for your review. It's very helpful.

Follow up question: In your review, you said that a gin and tonic made with Bombay Sapphire ($6.25 menu price for the liquor) would be over the $7 limit. Has HAL started charging for the mixer component of mixed drinks? In the past, if you ordered something that was $6.95 - Jack Daniels for example - it didn't matter if you had it on the rocks, with Coke, with ginger ale, or with a splash of soda water. It was still $6.95.

It kind of sounds like that's no longer the case and there would be an up charge for the mixer.

If you can clear that up, I'd appreciate it.

TravelinJones - Thank you so much for your review. It's very helpful.

Follow up question: In your review, you said that a gin and tonic made with Bombay Sapphire ($6.25 menu price for the liquor) would be over the $7 limit. Has HAL started charging for the mixer component of mixed drinks? In the past, if you ordered something that was $6.95 - Jack Daniels for example - it didn't matter if you had it on the rocks, with Coke, with ginger ale, or with a splash of soda water. It was still $6.95.

It kind of sounds like that's no longer the case and there would be an up charge for the mixer.

If you can clear that up, I'd appreciate it.

The Gin & Tonic or Gin Martini would be $6.95 and then there is an "upcharge" of several dollars for Premium liquors which puts the drink over the limit. (I'm not sure of the exact "upcharge", perhaps someone else knows.)

You can get the Bombay straight or with ice and a twist within the Program.

You could try to order a mixer and the alcohol separately, but there is the 5 minute rule.

So I can order a Captain Morgan but I need to wait 5 minutes and order a can of coke with a glass????

Actually quite clever as my 15 drinks allowed per day just dropped to 7.5 if I have to order the liquor and soda separately for one drink.

So I can order a Captain Morgan but I need to wait 5 minutes and order a can of coke with a glass????

Actually quite clever as my 15 drinks allowed per day just dropped to 7.5 if I have to order the liquor and soda separately for one drink.

We'll let you know in 3 weeks. As recently as last year, a standard 2 ingredient drink like a Tanqueray & Tonic, Jim Beam & ginger ale, or a Bacardi & Diet Coke was priced exactly the same as the corresponding liquor.

Most of my traveling companions are 2 ingredient drink people and we haven't seen add on charges for the non-alcoholic mixers, fruit garnishes, or stir sticks. :sly:

We had the beverage package on the NA for the Blues cruise from Jan. 19-26th. Our friends purchased the package as well.

My hubby would get his coffee at the explorations café in the morning (he hated the regular coffee), I don't drink coffee, so I didn't get any. We used it for bottled water periodically during the day.

As for the wine, it was horrible. The white house wine was undrinkable. I had a few sips and got rid of it. Sad for our friends, as they are white wine drinkers, they wouldn't drink it either. One red was awful, the merlot was at least drinkable, not great, but drinkable.

The bar staff would give us just about anything we asked for, including drinks not on the menu. My usual drinks were rum and diet coke. I told them I prefer amber rum, so they gave me a premium rum, but didn't charge extra. I also had gin and tonics, and they usually gave me Bombay sapphire at the bar. I didn't ask for it, I am not too fussed about the brand of gin :) again, they didn't charge me extra. I also had my fair share of DOD, and many mudslides :) What I did find, there was no consistency in how the bartenders made drinks. A DOD at one bar could be very different at another. Artistic licence I guess ;)

Hubby drank beer, mixed drinks and bourbon. Again, premium stuff was poured just as often as regular brands. The staff didn't seem to care.

Please bear in mind that this is a full charter and there are extra bars set up on board. On our charter they do more alcohol sales in one day as opposed to a full week on a regular cruise. I think the bartenders just grabbed whatever was close at hand and served it.

Hubby thought the card was well worth it for him. I didn't think it was great for me. I think if I had coffees as well as bar drinks, it would be worth it for me. Our friends drank lots of coffees in the mornings and had a fair amount of bar drinks to make it worthwhile. However, we were watching the bands from noon (with a DOD or two in hand) to the wee hours at jams. I always tried to get in at least one more drink of some sort before midnight each night ;) So for those who put in long days it may be worth it.

Figure out if you have so many coffees, bottled water, soft drinks and bar drinks in a day to make it worthwhile.

Edited by sun~

We'll let you know in 3 weeks. As recently as last year, a standard 2 ingredient drink like a Tanqueray & Tonic, Jim Beam & ginger ale, or a Bacardi & Diet Coke was priced exactly the same as the corresponding liquor.

Most of my traveling companions are 2 ingredient drink people and we haven't seen add on charges for the non-alcoholic mixers, fruit garnishes, or stir sticks. :sly:

I can't provide a clear answer on any of these example because we didn't try to order them; perhaps someone else will comment.

In general, if you want a Premium liquor in your drink, i.e. Grey Goose or Kettle One Vodka -- it's not going to be included in this Beverage program. That aside, if you like mixed drinks and fruity cocktails and don't care about the brand, there are pages of drinks for $6.95 or less.

If both my spouse and I get the signature beverage card. Can I take both of our beverage cards and rooms keys to the bar to grab a drink for us both at the same time, while he stays at the pool? We usually take turns to get each other drinks and just wanted to see if that would be a problem. Thank you!

If both my spouse and I get the signature beverage card. Can I take both of our beverage cards and rooms keys to the bar to grab a drink for us both at the same time, while he stays at the pool? We usually take turns to get each other drinks and just wanted to see if that would be a problem. Thank you!

I would hope that you could, but since there are waiters circulating at the pools, it's probably a non-issue. You can order without leaving your spot by the pool.

The pool waiters will get you drinks with the beverage card. We also didn't have issues if one of us took both cards to the Sea View bar and ordered two drinks. I think this would only be a problem if they thought you were giving drinks to someone without a card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

I tried the Card a year ago. Thought it sounded great. First day.. two Perrier and a glass of wine, next day was similar. Then I saw that it was a waste of time (money). Won't bother again. I likes my Belvedere.... I'll stick with that... and try not to have too many! The rest I'll put in the box at church. :)

I think that if there were no Card and average for standard drinks were at say.... $4.50 + 15%..... I think EVERYONE would be drinking more and would be better for revenue.

Saga Cruises... their average drinks are about say $3.50 to $4.... grats included. Now starting mid April... all wines in the dining room for lunch and dinner are FREE. If you want higher end wines... yes, you can still buy higher ends wines. The thing is their high end wines are very reasonable.. and grats are included. It seems to work.

A few more thought on this subject.

I like at least a glass of wine and like a bottle of wine on the table. If you look around MDR.... you have to work to see bottles on the tables. Up in Lido at lunch... you just don't see wine. I wonder if something is wrong. Do passengers prefer to drink tea or coffee or coke or perhaps they are 'temperance'... or not able. If you look through the MDR and see 100 bottles of wine between 1,000 diners.... something wrong! I think it is possible that the pricing system is wrong.