Cunard vs Holland America

buchhalm

How nice and how lucky you were! There is a video as well called 'Cunard bids farewell to Commodore Warner', which I found very moving. It must have been hard for both him and his crew, but what can you do!

We were very lucky.....we were late getting off the ship, the only ones in the gangplank tunnel, we paused for whatever reason and looked down to the lower gangplank....and there it was. Noon sharp.

On my last HAL cruise (2012) I found out they were increasing drink prices and not renewing the contract of the string quartet. They do not present speakers other than their shipboard employees. I have decided to stay with Cunard from now on. I do not drink, so don't care about those prices, but these other developments were disappointing.

This is a copy from "Ask a cruise question":

Perhaps a sill question, but what is wrong with Cunard Cruise Lines?

I am looking in to some option to cruise Europe (again) this summer and am a bit torn between Northern Europe (new for us) and the Mediterranean (done a few times).

For 2-week itineraries, Holland America seem to charge pretty much twice the rate than a comparable cruise with Cunard's Q-Vic or Q-E.

All seem to "nice ships", but why does Cunarde seem to be that much cheaper for same-ish ports during the same months/weeks???

:confused:

I just looked up prices for Mediterranean cruises in July 2014 :

Queen Elizabeth - from $2,600 (14 days)

Nieuw Amsterdam - from $2,100 (12 days)

There is no answer to "why Cunard is cheaper?" because Cunard charges more.:)

I took cruises on both in 2013 (I'm diamond on Cunard, 1 star on HAL) and Cunard wins hands down in all respects. I do enjoy HAL but for my serious, lengthy cruises, except for the Prinsendam, Cunard is my choice. And I greatly prefer the formality and ambiance on Cunard.

Edited by Classiccruiser777

Cunard wins overall, of course, but not in all respects.

First of all, what to compare?

The QM2 is a unique ship beyond comparisons.

Old small HAL ships - nothing to compare with the QE & QV.

The only comparison that technically makes sense is between Cunard cruise ships (Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria) and HAL newest ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).

All four are derivatives of the same base platform (highly successful Vista class).

Cunarders are stretched versions of the same hull.

Public rooms of the Queens are nothing but tremendous improvement of the original design.

Fantastic job has been done bringing interiors closer to the luxury layout of ocean liners (axial planning). Some Cunard's "signature" features were incorporated as successfully as the existing structures permitted.

More spectacular lounges added, some were converted into multi-deck spaces.

The theater has got a feel of some opulent opera houses on land.

The main dining room has got a processional staircase.

So, everything related to public rooms is a step above elegant HAL ships.

An explosive conversion of all public spaces has come at a cost of significant reduction in sun deck spaces on the Queens in comparison with HAL ships - most spacious at sea.

This is where Cunarders are definitely one step below HAL.

Dining. HAL ships are more advanced in specialty dining, while Cunarders offer more choices included in the price.

HAL buffet is above and beyond everything else including Cunard.

Afternoon tea on HAL in a restaurant setting is not to be missed.

That said, afternoon tea in Cunard's Queen's Room is in their turn above and beyond anything at sea.

The only note - it becomes a bit messy on Cunard cruise ships if attendance is too high (no limits for the QM2 ocean liner).

On HAL ships - never a problem due to "unlimited" capacity of the MDR.

Entertainment.

The difference lies outside the main stage (theater).

Lounge life on Cunarders spins around proper ball rooms.

They also have larger music bands.

"I'll never know what made it so exciting

Why all at once my heart took flight

I only know when he began to dance with me

I could have danced, danced, danced all night"

That is about Cunarders. Not "all night", but a lot and in the best style.

When we talk about "cruising in style" - the first thing that comes to mind is Cunard.

HAL product is top class as well, but less formal, more relaxed.

Both lines deliver best product at sea on most comfortable resort ships at sea.

The Queens are best suited for "excursion cruises" and rarely seen in the most popular resort area - the Caribbean.

The Queens have significant difference in their upper decks design.

HAL ships are all purpose ships and equally successful in both "resort" and "excursion" cruises.

They split seasons between the Caribbean (best product available) and Mediterranean.

HAL pricing policy in the Caribbean makes their product outstanding unbeatable value for money.

I personally give an edge to the Queen Elizabeth due to the style, flavor and traditions of Cunard that is second to none.

The beautiful Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are one inch behind overall, but have some visible advantages for cruises in the Caribbean.

This is a link to a good comparison overview.

Edited by cruisetrail

I forgot to mention the number of elevators.

There are 14 on HAL (of which 4 are beautiful scenic elevators overlooking the sea) vs 12 on Cunard.

Another thing to mention is a real sports court on HAL vs a questionable "sports deck" on Cunard.

A plus for the Queen Elizabeth: she has an observation deck on the bow (same as HAL ships) but unlike HAL ships retains the original observation deck (Deck 9 forward).

Edited by cruisetrail

We were very lucky.....we were late getting off the ship, the only ones in the gangplank tunnel, we paused for whatever reason and looked down to the lower gangplank....and there it was. Noon sharp.

It is part of Cunard history, and what made this cruise so special is that it was accompanied by natural desasters like the earthquakes in New Zealand and Japan, the Tsunami, the Fukushima accident and the Arab countries' problems. I was always wondering what captains do on retirement, after their interesting and challenging lifes at sea.

I suspect that this will mean price increases.

I'm not by any means wealthy and only ever wear a tux/suit when on cruises.

For me its a major part of a holiday to get away from the mundane and everyday existence.

I think it would be worth paying a little extra to keep up the Cunard ethos and dress code.

It takes me 10 months to save for a cruise and I would be happy to have to save for 12 months if it meant any price rises would stop the Cunard experience from becoming the same as any other cruise line.

I also believe it is of dubious benefit to almost half prices just to fill cabins as the cruise date gets closer.

Airlines used to drop prices many years ago to fill airplanes, they now increase prices as the flight date gets closer.

Maybe if Cunard introduced this practice there would be fewer people waiting for the price drops before booking.

It might take a few years to gradualy introduce, but would pay dididends in the long term.

I'm sure most people would book their £2000 Cruise early if they knew that the price would increase to £2500 or even £3000 if they waited too long.

Edited by bill_posters_is_innocent
typo errors

I suspect that this will mean price increases.

I really feel they can't increase prices much overall. The Grills are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Having to share the ship with those not from the Grills may deter some used to full on luxury lines, such as Crystal/Seaborn/Regency/Silver Sea. I feel they really can't raise prices much on "Britannia" staterooms, as they are not really larger(at least not by much)than on other cruiselines. Only if they raise the food quality to a level as on Oceania(which has outstanding gourmet food no matter what catagory you book)could Cunard hope to raise prices on Britannia rooms. Standard Oceania rooms start at Britannia Club levels & rise to at least Princess Grill & Queens Grill(for large suites)

I forgot to mention the number of elevators.

There are 14 on HAL (of which 4 are beautiful scenic elevators overlooking the sea) vs 12 on Cunard.

Another thing to mention is a real sports court on HAL vs a questionable "sports deck" on Cunard.

A plus for the Queen Elizabeth: she has an observation deck on the bow (same as HAL ships) but unlike HAL ships retains the original observation deck (Deck 9 forward).

We found the only 2 elevator locations on Celebrity Eclipse could really get crowded. Luckily, we still can walk stairs rather than wait if need be.

• 1 month later...

FYI, they are both owned by Carnival (US). The two new QE and QV designs are based on the new Holland American's blue print. You can say that they are identical except for the interior design and marketing niche.

VERY nice - I agree with most of the thoughts

Cunard is British - therfore more formal

Cunard HAS a dance floor - a ball room!

HAL does have a great buffet and the bread pudding

HAL does have more variety in destinations Carib, Alaska

Looking forward to my next Cunard adventure in Aug

The people on Cunard are a bunch of wild & crazy party animals compared to HAL. I did a transatlantic on HAL- I was so bored, I was seriously considering getting off in Funchal.

"Formal" on HAL is a joke. They're so uptight they actually put the number of formal nights on the boarding pass- but I'd say no more than 10% actually dressed formally.

I'd rate HAL's buffets as an upscale version of a Florida buffet restaurant. Great if you're looking for quantity. When HAL took away trays, I'm told not only did their food cost drop dramatically, but also the food lines moved faster because people weren't loading on every bit of food that would fit.

Edited by Dancer Bob

I

I'm not by any means wealthy and only ever wear a tux/suit when on cruises.

For me its a major part of a holiday to get away from the mundane and everyday existence.

I think it would be worth paying a little extra to keep up the Cunard ethos and dress code.

It takes me 10 months to save for a cruise and I would be happy to have to save for 12 months if it meant any price rises would stop the Cunard experience from becoming the same as any other cruise line.

I also believe it is of dubious benefit to almost half prices just to fill cabins as the cruise date gets closer.

Airlines used to drop prices many years ago to fill airplanes, they now increase prices as the flight date gets closer.

Maybe if Cunard introduced this practice there would be fewer people waiting for the price drops before booking.

It might take a few years to gradualy introduce, but would pay dididends in the long term.

I'm sure most people would book their £2000 Cruise early if they knew that the price would increase to £2500 or even £3000 if they waited too long.

Whilst I understand what you are saying, and to some extent agree, I'm also not sure whether to take offence at your comments. Most of us love a bargain, and risking waiting for a cruise line to offer a price drop or paying the 'higher price' is up to the individual. Are you suggesting that those people who wait for the drop should not sail on liners such as Cunard and if so, who are you to take that decision. Yes, I would feel aggrieved if I'd paid full price and the person in the next cabin only half, but that's life. (happened to us before you ask, but not a lot you can do except 'grin and bear it').

Personally I'd love to be able to afford to book a penthouse stateroom, but its out of our price range and I would hate to think that those who can 'look down' on us in 'steerage'

I have a picture of Commodore Warner walking down the gangplank for the last time with his officers lined up saluting and the QM2 whistling a salute as well. Truly a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

So, why don't you share it with us ?????????

Hi brigittetom,

You'll be delighted to learn that I saw several of the officers out and about, daytime and evenings on board QM2 on WB transatlantics in both 2012 & 2013 (December in both cases). In May 2011 (WB TA) Captain Wright often took his lunch in the Kings Court with other officers, and I saw Commodore Rynd in the Lido on QE having lunch (on his own). When he'd finished he spoke to several passengers at other tables before he left. I also saw three officers in the Winter Garden (QM2) on one cruise, they were spending a few minutes talking with passengers before moving on to a nearby table. I guess you've been unlucky in the past :( , sorry!

Best wishes,

Aside from a Christmas sailing when the ship seemed full of officers and crew enjoying themselves, we've always run into officers on our trips. Always in those World Club/Platinum events, but also at other events and "on deck". It does seem like the lower level officers are busier. But, the heads-of-department seem often to be around.

There IS a rule against off-duty crew playing around "on deck". Not sure how low down the order-of-rank that goes. But we had to "officially" request a couple of crew for a dinner, once.

That said, the Captains, Commodore-at-the-Time, officers, etc. have always seemed very friendly.

Cunard wins overall, of course, but

...which I apparently cannot include in my post...

We've been wondering about HAL since, sadly, QM2 seems to be doing fewer of the one-month trips we like. And her "World Cruise" does not circumnavigate. Anyway, we wondered about HAL.

Taking all you've said, why do you think HAL is so expensive? When we have compared HAL sailings to QM2 sailings - or tried - HAL always seemed substantially more expensive.

I always found Commodore Warner , and his wife eager to meet passengers. If I was sitting in Sir Samuels for instance, Mrs Warner would come over to chat.

I dined at the Commodores table on at least 5 occasions ( I am a Britannia passenger normally eating at 6p.m sitting), I would receive a printed invitation in my cabin.

Since "Bernie" left I have found that the officers ever seem to be around, even at functions that might be termed "official" the only "officer " there has been the Cruise Director. Even the so called Social Hostess is MIA.