pictures of Door decorations

sandy1754

No offense and i know you are trying to get the kids involved, but I've never understood the decorating the cabin door thing. Of course, i've never understood the wearing the goofy hat thing, the husband & wife wearing the same clothes thing, families dressing alike thing or groups in a matching t-shirt thing.

I think it's a neat idea, and it makes it easy for Kids or if you're like me, intoxicated, to find your cabin. They all look the same and sometimes you aren't in the right mind set after a couple frozen mojitos.

I don't have any door decoration pictures, but I will definitely be decorating my door on my upcoming allure cruise.

No offense and i know you are trying to get the kids involved, but I've never understood the decorating the cabin door thing. Of course, i've never understood the wearing the goofy hat thing, the husband & wife wearing the same clothes thing, families dressing alike thing or groups in a matching t-shirt thing.

For the record I dont dress like my wife and I have no kids. But I dont walk around judging other people on the cruise on what they wear, or how a family dresses alike. Its good that families get involed in doing stuff together and being a family. :D

Thats a good idea about decoating the door, I dont want to have one too many tango mangos, and try to get into the wrong cabin :)

Edited by trev71

Houstoncruiser2001, you sound like a whole lot of fun. It's a cruise... it's a fun vacation... it's a time to just unwind and be in a 7 night party mood. Lighten up a little.

As for door decorations, we do it for special occasions like anniversaries, birthdays, New Years, Valentines day, etc. Lot's of people do. We go to Party City and get stuff, just tape it to the door. It also makes it easy for us (and our neighbors) to find cabins. I guess some people (Houstoncruiser2001 or Marie51) find it "silly." So be it. We have a fun time, call attention to ourselves, and simply enjoy the cruise. The people around us enjoy it too. That's what we're there for. If I want to be a wallflower, or a bore, I'd just stay home. To quote the Formal Night critics "it's your cruise, do what you want." It'll be fun. Enjoy.

I don't have pictures either, but we generally decorate our doors with printable magnet sheets, which are available at craft stores. I make up some cruise theme pictures (using powerpoint) for each member of our party, with names, dates. We just sailed on the Serenade out of New Orleans, so my theme pictures were Mardi Gras masks & beads.

With more time and energy, I could get more creative, but my travel companions always seem to be happy with my feeble efforts. It is a nice way to easily spot your cabin in a long hallway, even when you are sober :)

I never understand why posters feel the need to respond negatively to door decorating questions. The OP did not ask if it was to your liking to decorate doors. They asked for ideas. Since you have none, it doesn't seem like comment was really necessary.

Decorate away. You will not be the only one. Just have fun with it.

This forum doesn't really have a lot of door / cabin decorators. That's not to say it's not done, but I've had a hard time in the past getting pictures. I would suggest lurking around the Disney forum. They get super creative and it might spark some ideas for you. :) HTH

We have done all of those :) and it was fun. This was from the pub crawl on the Oasis :D (we live in Houston too :) )

60194_1650793672670_3505670_n.jpg

We also had matching t-shirts for the whole cruise critic group. It's a vacation, time to let your hair down (or in Frank's case, add some with a funny hat) :)

Edited by Charger2008

Going on the Allure with 6 family's with children-grandchildren and would like to decorate the doors. Would love if you could post your pictures of your decorated door for ideas.

We just print out color pictures and tape them to the door :D I have also seen a dry erase board included with door decorations for people to leave you notes (sometimes people leave not so nice notes [there is always one in every crowd]; however, for the most part people are really nice and leave fun/nice/funny notes :p)

I think you have a great idea... especially getting the children involved. Sorry I don't have any pictures... but if you are on FaceBook... just search this (if you aren't on FaceBook post back here and I'll find a link you can use)

Cruise Ship Door Decorations - CSDD

Just like that... (copy and paste it)... You'll see lots of ideas.

A few suggestions..

Keep the decorations flat.. things that sick out (like putting a blow up palm tree or a stuffed animal) is likely to get accidently knocked off... especially late at night when people are hugging the walls to get back to their cabin.

I did see this once along time ago... and wish I had taken a photo of the doors. A huge family (over 100 people) were on a family reunion... All of their doors were decorated with silhouettes that the families made prior to getting on board. Some were individual... some were groups... and then... they had silhouettes of all the things they liked to do -- like books... someone had an x-box... a chef hat... dogs and cats. We found ourselves seeing the doors and then trying t match them to the families!! They were such a fun group. Oh... the silhouettes were made out of all sorts of paper.... not just black. One family did all of theirs out of the Sunday Comics. If you want to incorporate silhouettes in your project... just google making silhouettes and you'll find many ideas and instructions. They are a great family activity!

One other suggestion... find some "Museum Putty" (available at most hobby type stores). It is great for attaching things to the doors without leaving marks or taking off paint. I'm sure there are other ideas out there... and would love to hear them. But you don't want to damage any surfaces.

I think this is such a fun, family project... and the children will find their cabins easily... I hope you have a great cruise... and I hope I'm on your cruise so we can check out your doors!!!

Edited by LindaO

We have done all of those :) and it was fun. This was from the pub crawl on the Oasis :D (we live in Houston too :) )

60194_1650793672670_3505670_n.jpg

We also had matching t-shirts for the whole cruise critic group. It's a vacation, time to let your hair down (or in Frank's case, add some with a funny hat) :)

Oh yea.....sailaway is going to be real fun!! LOL:D

Yes we thought it would make it easier for all the grandkids to find the which room they're cousins are in and which room they're grandparents are in.. Our last cruise one of the kids walked in the room thinking it was grandma's room. OOPS Thanks for ideas so far.

Houstoncruiser2001, you sound like a whole lot of fun. It's a cruise... it's a fun vacation... it's a time to just unwind and be in a 7 night party mood. Lighten up a little.

As for door decorations, we do it for special occasions like anniversaries, birthdays, New Years, Valentines day, etc. Lot's of people do. We go to Party City and get stuff, just tape it to the door. It also makes it easy for us (and our neighbors) to find cabins. I guess some people (Houstoncruiser2001 or Marie51) find it "silly." So be it. We have a fun time, call attention to ourselves, and simply enjoy the cruise. The people around us enjoy it too. That's what we're there for. If I want to be a wallflower, or a bore, I'd just stay home. To quote the Formal Night critics "it's your cruise, do what you want." It'll be fun. Enjoy.

Yep, its a tradition that is almost always done on winter ski trips on room doors on trips with the ski club here - and there are no kids involved! :) To be honest, its mostly "the girls" who do the decorating, often while the guys head out for the first drink of the trip - but its definitely a fun thing, for them to do and for us to see!

I suggest you not put names on the door, or any other identifying info, for your and your grandchildren’s security.

We put a small decoration on the door and have been doing it for at least 15 years. Generally, it is some flat cardboard decoration we buy at a Party City or teacher’s supply type store. The decoration is a great way to easily spot the cabin.

We pick an item that represents the cruise. We’ve have flat palm trees, fish, sombreros, Tower of Pisa, etc, college sport team mascot ( during the fall) or something that represents a current holiday. We have only had one stolen.

SHH – don't tell anyone but we had a sign on a recent CELEBRITY cruise ( the Celebrity CC folks really don’t like any decorations) . Our neighbors thanked us, as they knew they were near their room when they spotted our sign.

Enjoy

m

We had a group on our cruise last spring Break. I mad door signs for everyone that I printed on the magnetic sheets. The signs were similar but I switched out the clip art, names and changed colors for the various cabins. We had teens so we weren't concerned with names on the doors. We also bought a few packs of cardstock(?) decorations at Party City and used magnetic tape forthe doors.

We also put Dollar store white boards on our doors for communication - however those were definitely abused by other people but we will still use them again.

Including a sample of one. Need to decide on a new design for this year although we have a much smaller group going this time.

Untitled.jpg.1afebd11f19ca2fe42dd3f0c398fbe24.jpg

Going on the Allure with 6 family's with children-grandchildren and would like to decorate the doors. Would love if you could post your pictures of your decorated door for ideas.

I have not tried it yet, but on our upcoming cruise it will be my Mom's 65th birthday, so I was going to order a magnet from vistaprint for her door. My dad is a grumpy old man so I know if I order the in room decorations he will have them down by the first night. I think it's a sweet idea, are your rooms all close together?

Click on the link to see the photo. it takes two pic to see the entire door. We make our own magnets based on who were are , where we are from, our favorite teams and our hobbies, likes, pets, etc. Our door says something about the person inside through photos.

and yes, its easier to find our cabin door at midnight. :D

magnetsout1.jpg.a06ecb55720da2f62a02962b505990fe.jpg

magnetout2.jpg.30da25be40eaa5bdc23cf27e0c408172.jpg