cruise clothes vs. resort clothes

lurkernomore

Hi, I have done Caribbean cruises for the last few years, but I have never stayed at a resort for a week other than Disney with the kids. We will be doing a Caribbean Sandals vacay at the end of the month - and I was wondering if the clothing options would be the same? My husband is already psyched to not bring a suit, but that means no formal dresses for me. My cruise wardrobe consists of bathing suits and cover-ups by day along with sundresses, but I do like to look nice at night. I guess I am worried that I will be overdressed because I will be in the warm air more than on the air-conditioned ship.

Am I over thinking this?

Hi, I have done Caribbean cruises for the last few years, but I have never stayed at a resort for a week other than Disney with the kids. We will be doing a Caribbean Sandals vacay at the end of the month - and I was wondering if the clothing options would be the same? My husband is already psyched to not bring a suit, but that means no formal dresses for me. My cruise wardrobe consists of bathing suits and cover-ups by day along with sundresses, but I do like to look nice at night. I guess I am worried that I will be overdressed because I will be in the warm air more than on the air-conditioned ship.

Am I over thinking this?

I would dress the way you want. We cruise as well as take many land vacations. Sometimes for us, if we've been out exploring all day and dinner time rolls around, it's a casual place, but many times I get 'dressed'. I like to and my husband likes me to. He still will just wear a nice Tommy Bahamas shirt or something like that with a nice pair of shorts and we do fine. No, I don't do a 'long dress formal' like for formal night, but I do many times wear strappy heels with a 'dressy' dress and jewelry. But your husband can certainly get away without a suit! Unless otherwise stated most resorts are fine with informal wear/resort wear. Be comfortable and enjoy dressing how you want for your vacation, I think you'll see all varieties. Enjoy! :)

I would dress the way you want. We cruise as well as take many land vacations. Sometimes for us, if we've been out exploring all day and dinner time rolls around, it's a casual place, but many times I get 'dressed'. I like to and my husband likes me to. He still will just wear a nice Tommy Bahamas shirt or something like that with a nice pair of shorts and we do fine. No, I don't do a 'long dress formal' like for formal night, but I do many times wear strappy heels with a 'dressy' dress and jewelry. But your husband can certainly get away without a suit! Unless otherwise stated most resorts are fine with informal wear/resort wear. Be comfortable and enjoy dressing how you want for your vacation, I think you'll see all varieties. Enjoy! :)

Thanks - I think I will look around for an extra sundress, or two;).

I will let my husband know about the shorts - that will make him even happier! I see you are from Boston -I am in southern New Hampshire, but get into the city about once a month. There is a Tommy Bahama Outlet store at the Wrentham outlets now.

I have never done a cruise (yet, under 4 weeks to go) but I have been to many all inclusive tropical resorts. The theory I'm taking toward my clothing planning is anything that I would wear to the a la carte restaurants at the resort would be the smart casual nights in the MDR- in my case pretty sundresses and for the hubby- khakis and a button up shirt. Buffet for me means a cotton skirt or dressy Capri's and a pretty top (planning the same for the ship). Formal nights- never done one before since almost all the clothes I take to a resort are cotton since the restaurants are often not air conditioned. I've been watching this forum for a clearer sign of what to wear while on ship.

For both resort and cruising, I wear the same . . . casual chic shorts, tops daytime and definitely dresses for dinner. DH will wear dress slacks and a polo or open collar shirt for dinner. I've often posted on here that I miss the "good ol' days" wherein formal dinner was just that . . . FORMAL!

I have never done a cruise (yet, under 4 weeks to go) but I have been to many all inclusive tropical resorts. The theory I'm taking toward my clothing planning is anything that I would wear to the a la carte restaurants at the resort would be the smart casual nights in the MDR- in my case pretty sundresses and for the hubby- khakis and a button up shirt. Buffet for me means a cotton skirt or dressy Capri's and a pretty top (planning the same for the ship). Formal nights- never done one before since almost all the clothes I take to a resort are cotton since the restaurants are often not air conditioned. I've been watching this forum for a clearer sign of what to wear while on ship.

What you've mentioned is perfectly fine for a cruise. Except you don't need to dress up at all for the buffet as it is very, very casual. You'll see people coming from the pool in coverups and flip flops and sometimes you'll even see people in white bathrobes!!! For dress up nights, you'll see everything from true long, formal gowns and men in tuxedos to sundresses and khakis. It's pretty casual on most ships I've been on...however, I haven't been on Hal so maybe someone that has will give you some tips. Also, it's always a good rule to follow whatever the ship's guidelines are for whatever cruise ship you are sailing on.

Hope this helps and I hope you have a great cruise!:D

My husband and I were at sandals in nassau

at the end of January. In the evenings, the

Dress varied greatly. Most women had sundress

type dresses or casual-type maxi dresses.

My husband wore a tommy bahama shirt and

chinos/dockers each night. As he said he

could have just worn his jeans. The only men that

We saw in suits or jackets were connected

with wedding parties. In all honesty I was

surprised that people were not (IMO) a little

better dressed. This was a last minute trip.

Much of my summer clothing is at our vacation

home in Florida so I did not have it with me.

I was expecting people to have matching

swimsuits and cover- ups so I almost went

out and bought new expensive things. I didn't

have the time and just took a couple of older bathing suits

and a so-so cover up.....I blended in perfectly

fine.

Hope this helps!

My husband and I were at sandals in nassau

at the end of January. In the evenings, the

Dress varied greatly. Most women had sundress

type dresses or casual-type maxi dresses.

My husband wore a tommy bahama shirt and

chinos/dockers each night. As he said he

could have just worn his jeans. The only men that

We saw in suits or jackets were connected

with wedding parties. In all honesty I was

surprised that people were not (IMO) a little

better dressed. This was a last minute trip.

Much of my summer clothing is at our vacation

home in Florida so I did not have it with me.

I was expecting people to have matching

swimsuits and cover- ups so I almost went

out and bought new expensive things. I didn't

have the time and just took a couple of older bathing suits

and a so-so cover up.....I blended in perfectly

fine.

Hope this helps!

yes, it does - thanks! I am actually packing now (we leave Saturday), and it is kind of nice not bringing my formal dresses I wear on cruises. We are actually doing a sunset catamaran excursion (something I can't do on a cruise:p) , so packing for my evening wear is becoming much less stressful.

Heading out for my pedi tonight in yet another snowstorm, but I don't care - I am going to have hubby drop my off and pick me up at the front door of the salon!