Interesting experience with Delta

joyus

I've read many complaints concerning Delta's lack of customer service & rudeness, however, I just found this agent odd and not truthful.

Delta changed the arrival time on our return trip from BCN - MIA to late in the evening. Our original flt had us connecting JFK-MIA. We also purchased EC on this portion of our flt. The first Delta agent was friendly and easy to work with and, of course, allowed us to change our flt to connect in ATL at no charge to arrive home earlier. No problem. I called about a week later to discuss transferring our EC assignment to the new flt. The EC seats were $20 higher on new flt than the previous and the agent said we would have to pay the difference. He said the cost of EC seats are based on mileage and the EC fare to ATL was higher because of the destination.

I politely told the agent that we shouldn't have to pay a difference since Delta changed the time of our original flt causing us to change flt. He said we would need to either pay the difference or Delta would just refund us our money from the original EC seats and that the system would not allow them to override the rate.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, to which, the agent insisted there was nothing that the supervisor could do. He said he had been there for a long time and a supervisor would only tell me what he had already told me and needed to make a decision right then before the seats were gone.

I had to ask him 3 times to please let me speak to a supervisor, all the while remaining calm & polite. He finally said ok, but said it would take a while for a supervisor to take my call then he put me on hold. After about a minute or so, he returned to the phone and asked me which seats did we want to reserve. I told him I was not paying anything add'l and he said I would not be charged and assigned the seats.

I don't understand why he insisted and was so adamant they were unable to do that...then after taking me through the hoops, assigned the EC seats without charging the higher rate. Go figure.

I've read many complaints concerning Delta's lack of customer service & rudeness, however, I just found this agent odd and not truthful.

Delta changed the arrival time on our return trip from BCN - MIA to late in the evening. Our original flt had us connecting JFK-MIA. We also purchased EC on this portion of our flt. The first Delta agent was friendly and easy to work with and, of course, allowed us to change our flt to connect in ATL at no charge to arrive home earlier. No problem. I called about a week later to discuss transferring our EC assignment to the new flt. The EC seats were $20 higher on new flt than the previous and the agent said we would have to pay the difference. He said the cost of EC seats are based on mileage and the EC fare to ATL was higher because of the destination.

I politely told the agent that we shouldn't have to pay a difference since Delta changed the time of our original flt causing us to change flt. He said we would need to either pay the difference or Delta would just refund us our money from the original EC seats and that the system would not allow them to override the rate.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, to which, the agent insisted there was nothing that the supervisor could do. He said he had been there for a long time and a supervisor would only tell me what he had already told me and needed to make a decision right then before the seats were gone.

I had to ask him 3 times to please let me speak to a supervisor, all the while remaining calm & polite. He finally said ok, but said it would take a while for a supervisor to take my call then he put me on hold. After about a minute or so, he returned to the phone and asked me which seats did we want to reserve. I told him I was not paying anything add'l and he said I would not be charged and assigned the seats.

I don't understand why he insisted and was so adamant they were unable to do that...then after taking me through the hoops, assigned the EC seats without charging the higher rate. Go figure.

Sounds like he got the ok from the supervisor (who was probably too busy to take the transfered call) and was then able to give you what you were requesting...problem solved ;)

I agree, but shouldn't he have done that in the first place instead of being sooo adamant that they CAN'T do that and that he's been there for a long time and they DON'T do that? Good customer service would say we don't generally do that, but let me see what we can do.

Edited by joyus

I understand why you feel that way, but I worked in service/retail industry for many years and there were plenty of situations where a customer wanted something for free that was absolutely always against policy. Corporate would back me up and managers usually would too.... But occasionally, if the manager just didn't feel like dealing with an angry customer at that moment, he/she would cave and give them whatever they wanted -- leaving me as the"bad guy". I knew the rules and so did the supervisors, and they were normally followed...but every once on a while I was forced to look really foolish and say, "Just kidding, you can do whatever you want!" after calmly arguing with someone for ten minutes.

I'd give the guy a break. I don't think he was "lying" or "dishonest". Nothing made me more annoyed than a manager who didn't follow policy consistently...:rolleyes:

Sorry if that seems like a jaded response, but he probably thought he was doing the right thing. I know you had good reasons for wanting it your way, and you weren't just scamming him, so please don't take this post as an attack. Just my opinion on his perspective.

Unless he was super rude while talking to you. And then he's probably just in the wrong industry. :D

I understand your perspective having once worked in the service industry (telephone company), but having also taught Customer Service and Quality Assurance classes, I probably look at these things a little more critical than some folks, but I'm also quite tolerant with people in this field because I know how rude customers can be as well. However, as I mentioned before it could have been handled better and made him and the company look good instead of adamantly insisting they don't do that, can't do that and made me ask 3 times to speak to a supervisor. Good customer service can be strategy to any company, especially in this age where folks post their experiences/reviews on the internet for the world to see.

It's the same for UA Economy Plus seats. You choose and pay for E+, and the they start their schedule changes and equipment swaps.

The computer randomly assigns you to a new seat, usually giving you an aisle seat for an aisle seat, for example.

But, if you don't like the location and want to change, and the price is different on this new equipment, UA must refund your money and you must repurchase, even if the new price is only a couple of dollars more.

I find this ridiculous; you book a flight, chose a seat, and pay the E+ fee. If UA changes the equipment or schedule, you shouldn't have to pay any increase in price for the new E+ seat.

Only one time have I found an agent willing to just swap the seats (she also thought the policy was crazy) without going through the refund process.

This is a foolish policy and certainly cost the airline more money than if they just let you move it yourself on line, at no charge.

And don't even get me started on UA's policy of no refund of your E+ fee if you change your flight.

as I mentioned before it could have been handled better and made him and the company look good instead of adamantly insisting they don't do that, can't do that and made me ask 3 times to speak to a supervisor.

Who knows?! Maybe he really does need to be better trained, or maybe the supervisor on his last shift jumped all over the reps and told them to stop getting a supervisor every time someone wanted an exception to a policy, so this guy was trying to adhere to that to avoid getting yelled at himself. Then the supervisor on the present shift just didn't want to deal with it and said ok.

I understand your perspective having once worked in the service industry (telephone company), but having also taught Customer Service and Quality Assurance classes, I probably look at these things a little more critical than some folks, but I'm also quite tolerant with people in this field because I know how rude customers can be as well. However, as I mentioned before it could have been handled better and made him and the company look good instead of adamantly insisting they don't do that, can't do that and made me ask 3 times to speak to a supervisor. Good customer service can be strategy to any company, especially in this age where folks post their experiences/reviews on the internet for the world to see.

Our return flights from Venice to JFK have changed 6 times by Delta for our May cruise. Most of these changes were because our connection in JFK left before we arrived. We booked EC and we were refunded the money and rebooked them 5 times. On the 6th change we were told EC seats were sold out. Our connecting from JFK which now has a additional stop in Atlanta arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:45 a.m. (the red eye) much to our dismay. I truly appreciate the unhappiness with your encounter with the agent but at least your problem has been resolved. The last agent we spoke with told us don't be surprised if you have more changes ahead. I guess what I am saying is Delta is not # 1 with me either.

Our return flights from Venice to JFK have changed 6 times by Delta for our May cruise. Most of these changes were because our connection in JFK left before we arrived. We booked EC and we were refunded the money and rebooked them 5 times. On the 6th change we were told EC seats were sold out. Our connecting from JFK which now has a additional stop in Atlanta arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:45 a.m. (the red eye) much to our dismay. I truly appreciate the unhappiness with your encounter with the agent but at least your problem has been resolved. The last agent we spoke with told us don't be surprised if you have more changes ahead. I guess what I am saying is Delta is not # 1 with me either.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, after reading these boards I'm bracing for several more changes before September. I have a question, although there are no EC seats available and you decide not to accept a refund until you get to the airport to see how things pan out as far as availability, might Delta upgrade if no EC seats open but higher class seats are open? In other words, will they put you on the standby list for BE or FC (if there is availability) or just automatically assign you any Economy seat that is available?

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, after reading these boards I'm bracing for several more changes before September. I have a question, although there are no EC seats available and you decide not to accept a refund until you get to the airport to see how things pan out as far as availability, might Delta upgrade if no EC seats open but higher class seats are open? In other words, will they put you on the standby list for BE or FC (if there is availability) or just automatically assign you any Economy seat that is available?

You mean upgrade you free to business because there are no EC seats available? No way.

We did not have a choice, agents refunded our money immediately. We dealt with many different agents regarding the EC seats, very frustrating. At this point I hope my return flight gets me home without any more major upsets.

We did not have a choice, agents refunded our money immediately. We dealt with many different agents regarding the EC seats very frustrating. At this point I hope my return flight gets me home without any more major upsets.

Edited by happy 2 b cruising
Sorry, duplicate reply.

The only way Delta upgrades anyone from coach to BE is if the entire coach cabin is sold out and they need coach seats. Then if there is space available in BE, Delta will upgrade any high status elite passengers who may be seated in coach. Generally the high status folks would be seated in the EC section so it's possible, although not likely, that an EC seat or 2 could become available that way.

It's not at all uncommon to have schedule changes when you purchase tickets far in advance. I have always found Delta to be very cooperative when I have had to work with them on this issue.