Information on Train between Seattle and Vancouver B. C..

Himself

Friends: I am doing a two week on the Oosterdam in July. I am flying into

Seattle on Friday and plan to take the train to Vancouver early Saturday morning. Are the any hotels close to the train station? Does anyone have any Hotel recommendations?

Seattle on Friday and plan to take the train to Vancouver early Saturday morning. Are the any hotels close to the train station? Does anyone have any Hotel recommendations?

The train station is not in the best part of Seattle, probably the best hotels will be found in downtown, north of the train station. If you choose just about any hotel in the downtown area, you will only be a short taxi ride away from the train depot. there are many hotels in the DT area, one is "The Inn at the market", a boutique hotel.... the Westin hotel, or the Fairmont Olympic Hotel, I have heard that the edgewater hotel is having a lot of noise with the construction of our new tunnel.... hope this helps! btw, even the taxi ride to the port will not be very expensive... be sure to take a "regular" cab, yellowcab

farwest, or some other taxi, don't take one of the limosines that call themselves a taxi!!

The train station is not in the best part of Seattle, probably the best hotels will be found in downtown, north of the train station. If you choose just about any hotel in the downtown area, you will only be a short taxi ride away from the train depot. there are many hotels in the DT area, one is "The Inn at the market", a boutique hotel.... the Westin hotel, or the Fairmont Olympic Hotel, I have heard that the edgewater hotel is having a lot of noise with the construction of our new tunnel.... hope this helps! btw, even the taxi ride to the port will not be very expensive... be sure to take a "regular" cab, yellowcab

farwest, or some other taxi, don't take one of the limosines that call themselves a taxi!!

Downtown Hilton and Sheraton are both nice also. Our #1 favorite is the Alexis on First Ave- older and charming. If you like wines the Vintage Park with their "evening wine reception is great.

Carri Cruiser is definitely right on about the train station location- take a cab. BTW Carri Cruiser- we used to live off of Faulkner Road. We may have passed each other at Central Market :D

Edited by frankc98376

we flew into Seattle a few years ago and stayed at a Hampton near the space needle I think..it was fine for one night. We took a cab in the wee hours of the morning to the train station…it was dark and rainy:D

I do remember the station was not in the best part of town…and when we got out of the cab someone came up to me and asked to help me with our luggage…I said no thanks..thinking it was a station employee..but it was not as he followed us into the station and then asked for money:) But even with that would not hesitate to do it that way again…BTW…we had to take the bus:mad:as they were doing track work..but it was a nice bus and they served snacks and water/juice/soda.

A couple of times when we took a cruise from Vancouver we had wanted to take Amtrak but couldn't for one reason or another. We used Quick Shuttle, a Canadian bus service that picked us up at a downtown Seattle hotel and dropped us off at the Canada Place Cruise Terminal. I would recommend looking at that as an alternative. Either way, the trip is about four hours; you leave about 6 and get there around 10 or leave around 10 and get there around 2 PM.

A couple of times when we took a cruise from Vancouver we had wanted to take Amtrak but couldn't for one reason or another. We used Quick Shuttle, a Canadian bus service that picked us up at a downtown Seattle hotel and dropped us off at the Canada Place Cruise Terminal. I would recommend looking at that as an alternative. Either way, the trip is about four hours; you leave about 6 and get there around 10 or leave around 10 and get there around 2 PM.

We used Quick Shuttle as well and liked them (they have wireless access).

HOWEVER, remember to allow plenty of time (its a 4 hour trip), since things can go wrong. The bus before ours broke down and had to wait for ours to pick them up - they BARELY made it to the ship in time (we were leaving the next day, so no problem for us).

DaveOKC

We did this in 2011. Stayed at Marriott Courtyard downtown; 1/4 mile from train station. There were a lot of people on the early train to Vancouver. The ride is very scenic and hugs the coastline for half the trip. I would suggest spend a little extra money and get a First Class seat. You get wider seats, more room, voucher for food and priority disembarkation from train in Vancouver. This allows you to go through Customs first.

Also be aware if there are any slides along the train route you will have to wait for a bus to take you the rest of the way. Highly recommend you plan to travel to Vancouver at least a day before.

I always get in a day early!

The location of the train station is at the edge of the downtown core, in the oldest part of town. It's perfectly safe to walk around in during the day and has a lot to see historically. It's really not a dangerous part to walk around in at night, but there is a population that unfortunately must sleep on the streets at night in that area as well as a pretty booming bar scene, so combinations of those two can create problems. The train station is adjacent to the Seahawks Stadium. The downtown core itself is only about 1.5 miles long by half a mile wide with a pretty substantial hill running from the SW area (near the train station) to the NE corner.

As others have said, there aren't many hotels near the train station. The closest you can stay to the train station at a reputable hotel is the either the Best Western Plus Pioneer Square Hotel or the Courtyard Seattle/Downtown Hotel. Both are about a 6 block walk to the train station, with the Courtyard being a straighter shot.

If you had the flexibility and/or ride from the airport, you could stay in Edmonds, which is a waterfront town 30 minutes north of Seattle. The train will stop here after departing Seattle. There is a Best Western Plus in this town thats about 2 or 3 blocks from the train station. It's quaint and has a nice downtown marina ans shopping distance, however if you ahve not been to Seattle, you should stay downtown for the experience.

I have used QUICK Shuttle but wanted something different if possible

We did this in 2011. Stayed at Marriott Courtyard downtown; 1/4 mile from train station. There were a lot of people on the early train to Vancouver. The ride is very scenic and hugs the coastline for half the trip. I would suggest spend a little extra money and get a First Class seat. You get wider seats, more room, voucher for food and priority disembarkation from train in Vancouver. This allows you to go through Customs first.

I am booking soon and I was planning on doing what you suggest.

I am booking soon and I was planning on doing what you suggest.
You'll be happy with your plans. I think the seats you want are called "Business Class" seats.

We have stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel a couple of times, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. There used to be a little restaurant attached to the hotel, but it wasn't there when we stayed there last May, and we had a heck of a time finding a restaurant for a full breakfast. I would definitely consider the Inn at the Market. Although we haven't stayed there, we've walked by it a number of times. It's very cute, and it's in a great location, just a block from the Pike's Place Market. As has been mentioned, any "downtown" hotel would be a good location for you.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

You'll be happy with your plans. I think the seats you want are called "Business Class" seats.

We have stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel a couple of times, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. There used to be a little restaurant attached to the hotel, but it wasn't there when we stayed there last May, and we had a heck of a time finding a restaurant for a full breakfast. I would definitely consider the Inn at the Market. Although we haven't stayed there, we've walked by it a number of times. It's very cute, and it's in a great location, just a block from the Pike's Place Market. As has been mentioned, any "downtown" hotel would be a good location for you.

Thanks for the information!