Booked on board but cant use, help

Haynecourt

Hi, i booked and paid a total of usd900 for 9 pax in june 2013 while on board the celebrity century for an april 2014 round japan cruise. This sailing has since been cancelled and our names were transferred temporarily to the dubai rome cruise in 2015, giving us the opportunity to rebook to something we would prefer.

3 rooms, total if usd 600 obc benefit. Booking transferred to TA afterwards.

However, looks like we cant cruise in 2015, but could possibly do a baltic cruise in 2016.

Do you think celebrity will allow us to hold and wait so long? Or am i better off cancelling and refunding.

My TA says celebrity will probably not hold that long, besides, to hold that long i have to transfer the booking to some other sailing in the interim while waiting for the europe 2016 schedule. I feel my TA diesnt like the extra work either.

I dont want to get into a no refund situation either. Do you know if this happens to deposits made during book on board?

Look forward to your advice for the best plan of action. Thanks

I think your TA is right about needing to have another cruise booked in the interim in order to hold the benefit of having booked on board.

I would not worry about the TA having to do extra work later. Celebrity gives them extra compensation in the case of cancelled cruises.

However, having said all of that, there is a chance that if you take the 2015 booking and choose to move it later, Celebrity will take the $200 per person OBZ back again. Still, I would take the 2015 booking for now and decide exactly what to do later.

In the US the $100 deposit is fully refundable up until final payment. The same may not be true for you and only your TA can tell you that information now.

Is the $600 OBC due to the cancellation of the Japan cruise or from the purchase of the future cruise certificates?

If it's extra compensation due to the cancellation of the Japan cruise I believe Celebrity does limit the time frame that it can be used. If so, it still wouldn't hurt to request an exception to apply it to the cruise you really want to go on.

If however the OBC is due to the certificates they do not expire. I've had one since 2012 that I have yet to use and have confirmed it doesn't expire.

Is the $600 OBC due to the cancellation of the Japan cruise or from the purchase of the future cruise certificates?

If it's extra compensation due to the cancellation of the Japan cruise I believe Celebrity does limit the time frame that it can be used. If so, it still wouldn't hurt to request an exception to apply it to the cruise you really want to go on.

If however the OBC is due to the certificates they do not expire. I've had one since 2012 that I have yet to use and have confirmed it doesn't expire.

The usd 600 obc was from booking on board.

I reviewed emails with TA and there is another usd 600 obc for the cancellation. So theres usd 1200 worth of obc in play here.

I will have to make a decision by 15th jan 2015 to rebook to something else as an interim booking, and then book in april 2015 my target baltic cruise.

I booked as a canadian resident so im covered by the refund, but with usd 1200 obc in play, its best if i can keep that to use when we can go on our target cruise.

Thanks for the response, cc really helps!

I hope X comes up with another Around Japan cruise in the future.

Such a shame for that itinerary to get cancelled. We are stll going to japan in may 2015 via land, osaka, nagoya, tokyo for two weeks. My kids wont let japan off the schedule, they look forward to that more than to our upcoming italy tour in april this year. Thats the reason we cant do acruise in 2015, and my bucket list baltics has to be pushed off to 2016.

My window of opportunity to travel as a whole family is 3rd week april to 3rd week may due to school schedule constraints.

And don't forget, $600 of the OBC is yours regardless of when you book. The only OBC at risk is the extra OBC they are giving you for them cancelling the cruise.

I would still give them a call and see if they will allow you to carry over the extra $600 to the cruise you want to take in 2016. I've often been told no but when I give them specifics of what I want it changes to a yes. Only problem might be I don't think the 2016 Baltic itineraries are out yet.

And, as others have said, if your TA isn't willing to work with you to help, time to find a new TA or deal with X directly.

after checking with celebrity, my TA found out that we have usd 500 OBC per stateroom x 3 that can be used up to 2015.

Ive moved our japan trip to oct and maybe able to cruise in may 2015.

question:

Can the OBC be used to pay off part of the cruise stateroom cost?

Pls advise

thanks